The White Sox will not offer Hector Olivera

caulfield12

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/109401778/ac...ly-sought-after

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/yadier-alvarez

Haven't seen the White Sox connected to him recently, but he would seem to be the perfect fit just like Iguchi was before 2005.

Let's face it, very few believe that Sanchez or Micah Johnson are ready to play everyday, nobody wants to see Beckham as more than a utility player, and the same thing goes for Bonifacio.

With the blood clot/thrombosis issue hanging over his head, it COULD be possible to sweep in and sign him for $24-36 million over three years.

Plus, that might give us yet one more reason for Yadier Alvarez to give the White Sox serious consideration as a future destination...although having Cuban players obviously doesn't guarantee we can sign every guy on the market, it certainly can't hurt...especially with how well-respected Abreu is compared to Puig and Cespedes, for example.

One drawback would be the likelihood that we're already at or beyond projected budget and it would make it nearly impossible to keep Samardzija, although that might already be a foregone conclusion, that he'll hit the market.

Another possibility is the White Sox moving Tim Anderson over to 2B, with Alexei staying through 2016. Of course, you could also keep Alexei and play him at 2B with Anderson at SS...or pair Olivera and fellow countryman Ramirez.

A final factor to consider would be the "insurance" angle as Olivera can also play 3B...in case of a serious Gillaspie slump.

Has anyone seen any connections with the White Sox and Olivera? Are the White Sox foolish to count on Johnson/Sanchez/Beckham at that position?

The odds of this happening are basically slim and none, but it would really push a lot of us over the edge on the excitement meter.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a practical standpoint, Olivera makes a lot more sense than Moncada. If they spend $60 million on him, they will actually get $60 million worth of him, not worrying about still paying future salaries, taxes, or lost picks/signings. It would also strengthen one of our weakest spots on the field.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
From a practical standpoint, Olivera makes a lot more sense than Moncada. If they spend $60 million on him, they will actually get $60 million worth of him, not worrying about still paying future salaries, taxes, or lost picks/signings. It would also strengthen one of our weakest spots on the field.

any way to add to the list of prospects is in my opinion needed. the minors are a little thin in the infield positions. i think the sox has a couple outfielders prospects, but the systems needs infielders.

either way, the sox needs more prospects and let the future settle itself out.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
any way to add to the list of prospects is in my opinion needed. the minors are a little thin in the infield positions. i think the sox has a couple outfielders prospects, but the systems needs infielders.

Olivera would be a major leaguer right from day 1. He is 29 years old.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)

Hector Olivera isn't a prospect in the traditional sense though, only in the sense that he's never played in the majors. He turns 30 just after the start of the season. You'll be lucky to get 3 good years out of him.

If you sign Olivera, you are signing him to be the starting 2B.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
Hector Olivera isn't a prospect in the traditional sense though, only in the sense that he's never played in the majors. He turns 30 just after the start of the season. You'll be lucky to get 3 good years out of him.

you are correct in every way, but i guess i am thinking about having prospects / bodies / players to compete. to get the best player and hopefully the other as backup.

the farm system is still rebuilding, this should help.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

Iguchi had just turned 30 the winter before the 2005 season began.

But three years are really all that they need.

And I hope they get at least three years, because Melky Cabrera will be 33 at the end of his deal as well...and we don't know exactly how much damage he did to his body or the total duraction of his PED's usage. Granted, Cabrera has a track record to fall back on.

Another option would be to swing a deal for Alex Guerrero of the Dodgers...since Howie Kendrick and Dee Gordon are blocking him.

And they could probably get at least $10 million shaved off the remainder of his contract.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
Iguchi had just turned 30 the winter before the 2005 season began.

But three years are really all that they need.

And I hope they get at least three years, because Melky Cabrera will be 33 at the end of his deal as well...and we don't know exactly how much damage or how long of a duration he took PED's. Granted, Cabrera has a track record to fall back on.

Another option would be to swing a deal for Alex Guerrero of the Dodgers...since Howie Kendrick and Dee Gordon are blocking him.

And they could probably get at least $10 million shaved off the remainder of his contract.

that and keep on scouring the waiver list. this will continue to rebuild the system

Meh. Pass. The Sox aren't the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. We don't have unlimited payroll that we can just say, eh, whatever if it doesn't pan out.

Also a total of 2 stolen bases over his past 3 years.

Why is it that we on this board like to operate the Sox as a fantasy baseball team? Second base is one of the least important positions I have concern for. Spend 10mm on this guy? No thanks. We have capable options at 2b. As long as my guy at 2b can hit .260, get on base, steal a few, and play a solid glove/turn DP's -- Fine by me.

Save the money to spend on pitching.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Meh. Pass. The Sox aren't the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. We don't have unlimited payroll that we can just say, eh, whatever if it doesn't pan out.

Why is it that we on this board like to operate the Sox as a fantasy baseball team? Second base is one of the least important positions I have concern for. Spend 10mm on this guy? No thanks. We have capable options at 2b. As long as my guy at 2b can hit .260, get on base, steal a few, and play a solid glove/turn DP's -- Fine by me.

It's one thing if Johnson or Sanchez give you a 650ish OPS.

It's quite another to be below .600. To say we have capable options at 2B is really pushing it. We have options, but that's the same thing as saying we have options at catcher, too. They're just not the best of options.

One thing that's for certain, it's going to be a lot easier to improve 2B than C or 3B. With that said, sure, they can and probably will be able to wait until mid-season and target the Chase Utley's of the world.

As far as operating like a fantasy baseball team, I don't think anyone has mentioned adding to the payroll in the last 4-5 years without talking about budgetary constraints, lowered attendance and revenues, waiting for the new media rights deal, etc.

Also, middle infield positions are critical to a team's success, especially from a defense standpoint. That's why it will likely end up being Sanchez or Beckham.

If Gillaspie, Flowers and Garcia all hit, then they can carry Sanchez's bat. But how likely is that?

At the very least, I'd run it by Abreu and see what his opinion is on the guy. He's certainly familiar with Olivera from his time in Cuba.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
Nope. Doesn't seem like a difference-maker, will have to outbid several big spenders for a guy who is likely league-average. Let's use our young depth here to save some resources for next year when we'll have to replace a starter.

Or we can just plug Montas or Danish into the equation...

If all else fails, there's always going to be a slew of pitchers in that $8-12 million per year category who could slot in at 4 behind Sale/Quintana/Rodon and ahead of Danks.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)

i see that this discussion can be as informational as some in the past several days. i would like to point out, getting his player is not the kind to go and spend an abundance of money on, but to reasonable make a bid of his service with a reasonable amount. now if other teams want to overspend, then it up to them and not for the sox to go crazy.

this board of menbers, mod and admin's have never allow the, as you called it, the fantasy baseball, sure we discuss options but we as fans do not know or have privy to inside information in which we can discuss sox baseball. yeah some and i am just as guilty or more guilty than others to suggest players and point out why with reasons to make this move or that.

but enuf of my rant.

peace

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
It's one thing if Johnson or Sanchez give you a 650ish OPS.

It's quite another to be below .600. To say we have capable options at 2B is really pushing it. We have options, but that's the same thing as saying we have options at catcher, too. They're just not the best of options.

One thing that's for certain, it's going to be a lot easier to improve 2B than C or 3B. With that said, sure, they can and probably will be able to wait until mid-season and target the Chase Utley's of the world.

As far as operating like a fantasy baseball team, I don't think anyone has mentioned adding to the payroll in the last 4-5 years without talking about budgetary constraints, lowered attendance and revenues, waiting for the new media rights deal, etc.

Also, middle infield positions are critical to a team's success, especially from a defense standpoint. That's why it will likely end up being Sanchez or Beckham.

If Gillaspie, Flowers and Garcia all hit, then they can carry Sanchez's bat. But how likely is that?

At the very least, I'd run it by Abreu and see what his opinion is on the guy. He's certainly familiar with Olivera from his time in Cuba.

never thought you had it in you to make a great post / point. i am truly impressed. :lol:

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
Nope. Doesn't seem like a difference-maker, will have to outbid several big spenders for a guy who is likely league-average. Let's use our young depth here to save some resources for next year when we'll have to replace a starter.

very good and very true.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)

As is the case with everything, due diligence is necessary. I'm in agreement that it's not something that the Sox will likely end up in simply because it doesn't make enough sense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)

If all else fails, there's always going to be a slew of pitchers in that $8-12 million per year category who could slot in at 4 behind Sale/Quintana/Rodon and ahead of Danks.

and for as teams keeps adding and subtracting players, other players may become avail

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

Assuming half the league is wrong about them both being relievers. Which I hope, but none of us know.

8-12 million bucks buys you a reclamation project like Brett Anderson.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
Assuming half the league is wrong about them both being relievers. Which I hope, but none of us know.

8-12 million bucks buys you a reclamation project like Brett Anderson.

i will hate to mention this, but it is needed.

it all comes back down to the sox owner's group and the FO to make that decisions. no matter how much it makes sense to us the fans.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
I don't know. My feeling is that Gordon Beckham will step up with a renewed vigor and be the everyday secondbaseman

This is approximately the worst case scenario. You can't rule it out, because if both Sanchez and Johnson look absolutely terrible in the spring, I think there's an outside chance at this. If this happened, it would be a very bad thing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 08:08 PM)
This is approximately the worst case scenario. You can't rule it out, because if both Sanchez and Johnson look absolutely terrible in the spring, I think there's an outside chance at this. If this happened, it would be a very bad thing.

very much true. but in some way, having Beckman waiting in the wings, does somehow soften that blow,

FWIW, there's no reason to believe that Sanchez isn't ready. He's repeated AAA and did very well there last year. There's reason to believe he's not going to be a very good major leaguer, but I'd be shocked if he isn't at least competent and probably slightly more valuable than Beckham ever was over a full season. Micah has a much higher bust potential, because he really hasn't been any good in AAA yet. But, that's why he probably won't break camp with the team.