White Sox getting $3.443 million for Int'l pool in 2015-16

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
He would probably cost our entire pool, by himself. Maybe more.

The Sox could trade for more cap space before July 2nd. Let's say Rodon, who I think should start the year at AAA, pitches his way into the rotation, then a guy like John Danks becomes expendable and for him you could get multiple INTL bonus pool slots for him.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
Aren't the penalties losing like 1/2 of the next year's bonus pool? That's a huge hit to take for a single guy..

You keep your pool. You just can't spend anymore than $300k on any one player, which means you get down to the very bottom of prospects to pick from.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
The Sox could trade for more cap space before July 2nd. Let's say Rodon, who I think should start the year at AAA, pitches his way into the rotation, then a guy like John Danks becomes expendable and for him you could get multiple INTL bonus pool slots for him.

I don't think anybody is even giving you that for John Danks. The Cubs got Tommy La Stella. Tommy La Stella is a cheap, average-ish player.

You still have to give something of value to get that value, and I'm just not sure we see that with Danks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
I don't think anybody is even giving you that for John Danks. The Cubs got Tommy La Stella. Tommy La Stella is a cheap, average-ish player.

You still have to give something of value to get that value, and I'm just not sure we see that with Danks.

The Cubs got a lot of INTL cap space for Scott Feldman thats how they were able to sign Torres in 2013. Obviously Danks has to pitch well, and the Sox might have to pay some of his remaining salary.

I think getting a player like Vlad Jr into the system is worth it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)

Well they weren't the most effective innings, but John threw 193 of them last year and didn't miss a start. You could do a lot worse from a #5 starter. I think he'll be better this year, maybe shave a half run per game off his ERA, and that should allow the Sox to unload him if they pay some of his contract. Though at that point, a #5 starter who takes the ball every 5th day and gives the team an ERA in the 4.25 range isn't a terrible thing to have, even at his salary. These days, anyway.

QUOTE (lvjeremylv @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
Well they weren't the most effective innings, but John threw 193 of them last year and didn't miss a start. You could do a lot worse from a #5 starter. I think he'll be better this year, maybe shave a half run per game off his ERA, and that should allow the Sox to unload him if they pay some of his contract. Though at that point, a #5 starter who takes the ball every 5th day and gives the team an ERA in the 4.25 range isn't a terrible thing to have, even at his salary. These days, anyway.

If John does that then suddenly they'd have very little reason to actually move him. He'd genuinely be earning his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
If John does that then suddenly they'd have very little reason to actually move him. He'd genuinely be earning his contract.

and i hate to say this, but i wouldn't be surprise if he make a real good case for being the #4 pitcher.

this is my faith in him.