Are Americans too lazy or apathetic to relocate for work?

caulfield12

Medicaid overhaul faces tough test in Trump country

‘Around here, there ain’t no jobs,’ says one beneficiary about the prospect of having to work to qualify for benefits.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/18/m...-country-239655

Doesn't matter if we blame Dems or Republicans, what is the solution? Is forcing families to relocate for jobs that barely pay a liveable wage going to work as a practical solution?

Why/why not?

Next, does the government "owe" them better opportunities than currently available? Should those people be "doubly punished" when the incidences of health problems related to smoking, cardiovascular disease, poor diet/nutrition are already disproportionately occurring in poor/rural states that largely voted for Trump? Or is that fair since their health problems are largely self-induced?

What is the cost to society when they have to find alternate daycare solutions to family members? Should the government provide "higher quality" childcare to those children in order to break the cycle of poverty, or is that a distortion that's unacceptable to most Americans (because they would have to subsidize the costs through higher taxes)?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
Eh.

Exact same reaction those receiving Medicaid in expansion states have to the proposed work requirements...

Of course, actually monitoring and enforcing these rules will create yet another Federal bureaucracy, lol. Like the newly-proposed War on Drugs II coming out of Sessions' office.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)

‘Around here, there ain’t no jobs,’ says one beneficiary about the prospect of having to work to qualify for benefits.

Doesn't matter if we blame Dems or Republicans, what is the solution? Is forcing families to relocate for jobs that barely pay a liveable wage going to work as a practical solution?

Why/why not?

I wouldn't advocate making people move in order to get a minimum wage job. Eventually we're probably headed to a society more in line what Bernie and the Millenials want. There IS going to be free college and there is going to be a system in which everybody is given $50,000 to start the work year, something like that. Now we just have to convince the government to not tax us so much. But I see a Bernie Sanders type society in the future. Millenials want everybody to be equal and everybody to be in a nirvana-like environment.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)

Why/why not?

Next, does the government "owe" them better opportunities than currently available? Should those people be "doubly punished" when the incidences of health problems related to smoking, cardiovascular disease, poor diet/nutrition are already disproportionately occurring in poor/rural states that largely voted for Trump? Or is that fair since their health problems are largely self-induced?

What is the cost to society when they have to find alternate daycare solutions to family members? Should the government provide "higher quality" childcare to those children in order to break the cycle of poverty, or is that a distortion that's unacceptable to most Americans (because they would have to subsidize the costs through higher taxes)?

You go where the jobs are. My parents did it. I did it. My kids should do it. The government shouldn't "owe" or "provide" any of this. It's not like we live in China where the government controls....Oh wait you do. (sorry couldn't resist)

I can't believe I keep falling for your scenarios.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
You go where the jobs are. My parents did it. I did it. My kids should do it. The government shouldn't "owe" or "provide" any of this. It's not like we live in China where the government controls....Oh wait you do. (sorry couldn't resist)

Except the government provides less here than in the US...by far.

How do you think they built up those surpluses over the last thirty years?

The medical system used to be super cheap a decade ago, you can go to public hospitals, but multiply x 10 the amount of people going to the ER things like a common cold or cough. That said, just seeing a doctor is much cheaper, but a lot of costs are being passed through to customers via higher drug prices.

You can have a kid for free, virtually, but have to be married for that child to exist as far as the government is concerned.

There's next to no public retirement system, or elderly care (families tend to live with parents or at least extremely close proximity), there's no sending parents away to nursing homes except for the top 1%.

People here pay much higher prices for imported luxury good due to ultra high protectionist tariffs.

At any rate, the days of Mao's' "Iron Rice Bowl" are long gone. Fwiw, just as many starved in China as in Russia/Ukraine in the 1950's.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)

It's tough for a low wage worker to relocate because of all the costs associated with it - including the higher housing costs in urban areas (which also happens to be where the jobs are).

I have relocated three times since I graduated from law school, all over the country. Moving is expensive. Finding housing is stressful - even with a stable job in place.

The point here - there's more to it than "you go where the jobs are."

Housing policy is a government choice that would probably be better at an affordability level as a big gov't choice instead of the "once I move here no one else can move here" policy of local governments.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
It's tough for a low wage worker to relocate because of all the costs associated with it - including the higher housing costs in urban areas (which also happens to be where the jobs are).

I have relocated three times since I graduated from law school, all over the country. Moving is expensive. Finding housing is stressful - even with a stable job in place.

The point here - there's more to it than "you go where the jobs are."

Of course there is. If it's not worth your expense to move then either a. the job you have isn't much worse than the one you are looking at or you have something holding you to your area. People won't move for a worse position.

there is always a plus and a minus. I've moved plenty of times between when my parents made the choice and when I made the choice.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
Housing policy is a government choice that would probably be better at an affordability level as a big gov't choice instead of the "once I move here no one else can move here" policy of local governments.

This is an odd statement. What type of policy prohibits someone from "moving here"

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
This is an odd statement. What type of policy prohibits someone from "moving here"

Restrictive building policies that lead to housing shortages. Restrictions on height limits, building types, parking requirements.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Of course there is. If it's not worth your expense to move then either a. the job you have isn't much worse than the one you are looking at or you have something holding you to your area. People won't move for a worse position.

there is always a plus and a minus. I've moved plenty of times between when my parents made the choice and when I made the choice.

I'm not sure this gets to the heart of the issue. The issue isn't low paying job to low paying job. The issue is no job to low paying job. The small, rural towns that Trump was targeting during the election that lost their anchor employer and have massive unemployment. What do those people do? The jobs are urban, but they can't afford to make the move. They can't afford to go back to school to learn a skill. Relocating isn't really a feasible choice if you can't afford to move to the jobs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
Restrictive building policies that lead to housing shortages. Restrictions on height limits, building types, parking requirements.

Interesting. I guess living in small towns, we don't run into these issues.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
I'm not sure this gets to the heart of the issue. The issue isn't low paying job to low paying job. The issue is no job to low paying job. The small, rural towns that Trump was targeting during the election that lost their anchor employer and have massive unemployment. What do those people do? The jobs are urban, but they can't afford to make the move. They can't afford to go back to school to learn a skill. Relocating isn't really a feasible choice if you can't afford to move to the jobs.

There a couple of choices in this scenario. 1. Dad or mom drives longer to go to work. 2. dad or mom goes to where the job is for X amount of time until they find something closer or family can move with them. There are jobs in the rural areas. It just depends on the length the person is willing to go to get them. There are many people now who drive to Chicago from rural Indiana for work to avoid Illinois taxes.

Fwiw, the Dems are just as much, if not MORE responsible for turning their backs on poor people and taking poverty off the public policy discussion board...ironically, to target the middle class they've been losing a lot of support from due to largely focusing on things those middle and lower middle class voters don't really care about.

And it always comes back to the Clintons...in some way, shape or form.

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option...p;jumival=19355

Luckily there's Donald Trump to say how "mean" the AHCA really is, when he went out of his way to have a huge Rose Garden celebration touting the political victory when it finally passed.

Edited by caulfield12

I have lived my entire life in the city of Chicago.

I have three kids that go to private schools.

I am really thinking hard about moving not only out of Chicago but the state as well.

Maybe it is the same elsewhere but the city of Chicago just seems to be crushing its middle class citizens.

My wife and I make a nice living but it's just a constant grind that is now really weighing us down.

Taxes/fees just kept pounding us and pounding us and we reap zero benefit as the schools and parks by us suck to high heaven. The low property tax used to be something to hang your hat on but those are on the verge of being doubled over just a few year span and my water bill has gone up 500% under this new mayoral regime.

Again I have three kids and uprooting them does seem hard but I am pretty certain I could get a decent job just about anywhere.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 08:35 PM)

I am really thinking hard about moving not only out of Chicago but the state as well.

Maybe it is the same elsewhere but the city of Chicago just seems to be crushing its middle class citizens.

My wife and I make a nice living but it's just a constant grind that is now really weighing us down.

Taxes/fees just kept pounding us and pounding us and we reap zero benefit as the schools and parks by us suck to high heaven. The low property tax used to be something to hang your hat on but those are on the verge of being doubled over just a few year span and my water bill has gone up 500% under this new mayoral regime.

Again I have three kids and uprooting them does seem hard but I am pretty certain I could get a decent job just about anywhere.

I am not talking about you, as I feel your pain. But I remember posting something about this during wintertime and got reamed on here. It was a thread about Chicago taxes being ridiculous now and people moving out of the city in droves.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)

Harry. How does Wisconsin stack up compared to Chicago? You could always move right over the border up north past O'Hare 50 miles? Or delightful Lake Geneva? I would never recommend Indiana or Iowa. Kansas City is a very very pretty town, very nice people. I don't know how our taxes stack up in Missouri or Kansas.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 11:22 PM)
Harry. How does Wisconsin stack up compared to Chicago? You could always move right over the border up north past O'Hare 50 miles? Or delightful Lake Geneva? I would never recommend Indiana or Iowa. Kansas City is a very very pretty town, very nice people. I don't know how our taxes stack up in Missouri or Kansas.

Greg, have you ever left I-35 or I-80 in crisscrossing Iowa to get to KC or Chicago?