Making America Great Again: The Hope Sequel

Texsox

One problem I've felt we have as a nation is politics has become sport. Love your team and all they do, and hate the "enemy" and hate all they do. Rodman as a Piston? Evil! Rodman as a Bull? Yes!

I also believe that we all have a common vision of what makes America great. We want people to be safe, happy, healthy, with opportunities. We want our kids educated. We tend to argue which path is the correct path to that goal. The most obvious is large scale solutions that Dems tend to support and the small scale solutions that Reps tend to support. (Government versus Private scale).

Like the health debate, it stops becoming what is best for Americans, it becomes our team needs to win. With the President we want the guy to fail if we didn't vote for him.

Which leads to my question. How can we become more bipartisan as a country? How can we deescalate the us versus them and start demanding that both parties address our concerns? How can Democrats support Trump without sacrificing their ideals and values? I believe the first step is the world should follow the "buster guidelines, no personal attacks. We should be debating ideas not personalities. A second step is for supporters of both parties to stop accepting and forgiving bad behavior from their party. SS2k5 criticizing a Dem doesn't mean much, he probably wasn't going to vote for the Dem anyway, me criticizing would carry a bit more weight, the representative could lose a vote. Now multiply that by thousands and we may have something.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
One problem I've felt we have as a nation is politics has become sport. Love your team and all they do, and hate the "enemy" and hate all they do. Rodman as a Piston? Evil! Rodman as a Bull? Yes!

I also believe that we all have a common vision of what makes America great. We want people to be safe, happy, healthy, with opportunities. We want our kids educated. We tend to argue which path is the correct path to that goal. The most obvious is large scale solutions that Dems tend to support and the small scale solutions that Reps tend to support. (Government versus Private scale).

Like the health debate, it stops becoming what is best for Americans, it becomes our team needs to win. With the President we want the guy to fail if we didn't vote for him.

Which leads to my question. How can we become more bipartisan as a country? How can we deescalate the us versus them and start demanding that both parties address our concerns? How can Democrats support Trump without sacrificing their ideals and values? I believe the first step is the world should follow the "buster guidelines, no personal attacks. We should be debating ideas not personalities. A second step is for supporters of both parties to stop accepting and forgiving bad behavior from their party. SS2k5 criticizing a Dem doesn't mean much, he probably wasn't going to vote for the Dem anyway, me criticizing would carry a bit more weight, the representative could lose a vote. Now multiply that by thousands and we may have something.

9-11 is the last time we bonded as a nation. It's too late now. Hate has spewed all over so much so that you hear jokes and insults after incidents such as the Congress baseball shooting. Very little empathy for tragedies like the Colorado movie theatre incident, the London concert tragedy. The country is beyond hope because of hate. Again, the only way we come together at all is as a nation is responding to an unspeakable incident the scale of the Twin Towers going down.

And nobody wants an incident like that obviously. We cannot become more bipartisan as a country. I love your post but forget it. It's too late. Only thing that will bring us together is if something horrible happens on a HUGE scale, such as a nuke being lobbed by the bastard in North Korea at us or one of our allies. Too late. Hate rules and that's the way it is. I would blame the God-less society we are living in now but hate will be tossed at me on here if I do that.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)
Dear lord, Greg. I wish I lived in your world sometimes.

Did you read this? Guy wanted the congressman DEAD. This is our world today. Partisan HATRED. I am surprised more people don't agree with me on here, to be truthful about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23...e-got-shot.html

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 09:07 PM)
You see Hamilton yet?

When you want people dead as many in our world do today, it's past the realm of hope. It is going to take a lot to reverse course. Show me an example of America coming together at any time besides natural disasters (quakes, tornadoes) or horrific crimes (9-11).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
When you want people dead as many in our world do today, it's past the realm of hope. It is going to take a lot to reverse course. Show me an example of America coming together at any time besides natural disasters (quakes, tornadoes) or horrific crimes (9-11).

The Olympics, World Cup, William Hung,....

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)

You're never going to have 100% of people on the same page at the same time. Even 9/11, there were probably a sick few that thought we deserved it.

I'm not sure what your definition of come together.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)

literally gerrymandering. that's it. that's the cause. almost every district these days is a "safe" district where the incumbent in the popular party will win with 60-70% of the vote. that creates a massively partisan culture in congress and creates a massively partisan culture in the districts among the people.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
You're never going to have 100% of people on the same page at the same time. Even 9/11, there were probably a sick few that thought we deserved it.

I seriously think he's been brainwashed to think that Leave it to Beaver is a true representation of America back in the day when everyone got along and no one had any problems.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 09:44 PM)
Greg is so naive, it's makes me want to vomit. Must be nice being a white dude living in Kansas.

I grew up on the South Side of Chicago. 103rd Street. I know the city.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 03:21 AM)
How does that make you less naive?

I'm not naive. I've been chased by gangs on the South Side. I've seen it all. I know suburbia. I know the city. I didn't start this thread by the way. Read the initial post. I just responded to it like not many did.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
literally gerrymandering. that's it. that's the cause. almost every district these days is a "safe" district where the incumbent in the popular party will win with 60-70% of the vote. that creates a massively partisan culture in congress and creates a massively partisan culture in the districts among the people.

Yup. Get rid of gerrymandering and it'd go a looooooong way.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
I'm not naive. I've been chased by gangs on the South Side. I've seen it all. I know suburbia. I know the city. I didn't start this thread by the way. Read the initial post. I just responded to it like not many did.

Greg. You've been overwhelmed with the information available to you now since the days of you taking a train from Chicago to Lawrence. Because you can see more now (including the atrocities and hate) in the world, you think there is more.

It has always been there, it was just hidden from you.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 04:57 AM)
Yup. Get rid of gerrymandering and it'd go a looooooong way.

Greg. You've been overwhelmed with the information available to you now since the days of you taking a train from Chicago to Lawrence. Because you can see more now (including the atrocities and hate) in the world, you think there is more.

It has always been there, it was just hidden from you.

I'm just responding to a post. Why don't u guys go after the initial post person and their view of life?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 12:46 AM)
I'm just responding to a post. Why don't u guys go after the initial post person and their view of life?

Because I'm not attempting to go after you maliciously. Just pointing out that the world hasn't been rainbows and butterflies and we actually live in better and better times than before.

The only problem is with how the world works, if it bleeds it leads.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:46 PM)

I'm not being critical here so please don't take it that way. But since you asked . . .

Because you always seem to take a position that places you in opposition to most of the board. Then it becomes a reflex to see a post from Greg775 and assume it must be wrong, and comment. When was the last time you were with the majority in any thread? :lol: I can't be the only one that on the rare occasion I agree with you I have to stop and decide if maybe we are both wrong.

You are actually a unifier. The only time I see the hardcore Dems and Reps here on the same side of a discussion is to tell you that you are wrong about something. I'm just glad you are so willing to play that role. It keeps things lively back here. :P

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)
When was the last time you were with the majority in any thread?

Probably health care. I don't want the new law to pass and cause many of us to be homeless someday. And pretty much ruin the lives of those with pre-existing conditions.

Also I agree with most that the bunt is bad and Robin was a bad manager. I'm really not a big fan of anything the big league club is doing right now and I am pretty horrified regarding social issues so I am at odds with most in most threads. Trump could have been a common ground. I'm not a big Trump supporter like most say I am, I've pointed out I think evidence shows he's a pretty rotten one-percenter, but that hasn't gained me brownie points with the board for some reason. Even my love of Bernie doesn't please the Democratic portion of the board, cause they loved Hillary.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Probably health care. I don't want the new law to pass and cause many of us to be homeless someday. And pretty much ruin the lives of those with pre-existing conditions.

Also I agree with most that the bunt is bad and Robin was a bad manager. I'm really not a big fan of anything the big league club is doing right now and I am pretty horrified regarding social issues so I am at odds with most in most threads. Trump could have been a common ground. I'm not a big Trump supporter like most say I am, I've pointed out I think evidence shows he's a pretty rotten one-percenter, but that hasn't gained me brownie points with the board for some reason. Even my love of Bernie doesn't please the Democratic portion of the board, cause they loved Hillary.

There were less than a handful of posters here who actively "loved/supported unequivocally" Hillary Clinton.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 09:17 PM)
There were less than a handful of posters here who actively "loved/supported unequivocally" Hillary Clinton.

Wrong. I got reamed over the Hillary thing. I had maybe 1, 2 people half-assed support a position or two of mine on her. Aside from that, there was mass hysteria all over me. I was told to quit calling her Hilly. I was attacked whenever I attacked her. If I mentioned her upcoming coronation I was lambasted.

Any time I cited a book or article on how mean she was, they blasted the author. Hillary should hold a Soxtalk convention to reward her supporters. Even my love of Bernie was thrown aside because Hillary was the choice.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 09:32 PM)
Wrong. I got reamed over the Hillary thing. I had maybe 1, 2 people half-assed support a position or two of mine on her. Aside from that, there was mass hysteria all over me. I was told to quit calling her Hilly. I was attacked whenever I attacked her. If I mentioned her upcoming coronation I was lambasted.

Any time I cited a book or article on how mean she was, they blasted the author. Hillary should hold a Soxtalk convention to reward her supporters. Even my love of Bernie was thrown aside because Hillary was the choice.

In this instance, I do not #StandWithGreg

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)

This is true. Even when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, there was one congressional vote against going to war. It was by the first woman elected to Congress. She stuck to her values as a pacifist.