Grilling

Heads22

So, last year I had a roommate move out that could not take his grill with him to his new apartment. Ended up buying it from him, tank and all, for $40. It's one of your basic, cheap grills, but I'm starting to get more and more into it. I've especially taken to grilling vegetables on there (I love asparagus, so I just season and butter it, wrap it in foil, and toss it on there). I have a patio right off my apartment and it is covered so I can grill year-round. I'm looking to get past just doing burgers and hot dogs. Any good resources out there that some of you used as a beginner?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as a beginner griller, its all about practice.

Quick tips that I see beginner grillers always mess up:

1. Let the grill pre-heat. Light it and wait for it to get up to temp. You dont want to throw meat onto a lukewarm grill, ever. The main draw of grilling is that nice char that seals in the flavor. Wait 15 min.

2. Dont flip the meat or whatever until it tells you its ready to be flipped. Most pieces of meat will char and release itself from the grates when its ready to flip. If you are peeling raw meat off to flip it over, your've already lost.

3. Flip meat once if possible. I actually touch my burger/steaks etc 4 times total if I am doing it right. I move it 90 degrees to get the criss cross grills marks, then I flip when its ready, then another 90 degrees. Thats MAX. If you want medium or medium rare, dont be afraid to char both sides, take it off and let it rest. Also invest in a meat thermometer. It will save you at times.

4. Always keep a spare propane tank handy. You'll always run out during a party, count on it.

5. Take care of your grill. Clean it when you are done and before you start cooking. Occcasionally empty out the grease trap and wipe the inside. Cover it if you can. If you treat it well it will last longer than it should. Personally I use a Weber grill that I love and I want to keep it around for awhile because it cooks like a mad man.

6. Get a set of grill tools so you are prepared. This should include a nice set of tongs, spatula, grill brush, maybe a fork and knife.

I'll have to think of some more but thats the basics how I see it. If I have time ill get to cooking individual items like fish. I grill year round because its the best form of cooking IMO.

Edited by RockRaines

A couple quick grilling recipes that I like and use often:

Pork chops with McCormick Steak and Chop seasoning, this stuff is amazing on pork. Just make sure you don't over cook the pork chop, it's ok for it to be rare and is so much better.

Fajita chicken: In a gallon ziplock, combine lemon juice, fresh garlic, some salt and a bit of water (to dilute the juice a bit), shake well and then add chicken breast (chicken should be covered by the mixture). Let it marinade overnight, then grill the next day. The chicken will be super juicy and flavorfull, goes great with grilled onions/peppers on tortillas.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 26, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
A couple quick grilling recipes that I like and use often:

Pork chops with McCormick Steak and Chop seasoning, this stuff is amazing on pork. Just make sure you don't over cook the pork chop, it's ok for it to be rare and is so much better.

Fajita chicken: In a gallon ziplock, combine lemon juice, fresh garlic, some salt and a bit of water (to dilute the juice a bit), shake well and then add chicken breast (chicken should be covered by the mixture). Let it marinade overnight, then grill the next day. The chicken will be super juicy and flavorfull, goes great with grilled onions/peppers on tortillas.

Nothing was more revolutionary with pork than when it became ok for the inside to be pink. It completely changed the way it was severed and tasted.

Experiment with different wood chips. The box I am using is a V shape and sits between the deflectors. I made "chicken on a stick" this weekend and the main flavor came from Cabernet soaked mesquite chips. As was mentioned before, allow the grill to get up to temperature. With the wood chips I tend to over heat the grill, then lower the temp before cooking.

All cooking is about controlling the temp. I use indirect when cooking steaks. I will basically bake them indirectly then hit them with a blast of heat for a couple minutes on each side.

Also have a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare ups and a cold beer always ready to help with the hot spot near the grill.

Yeah man, I used my Weber for years to smoke and then got an electric one (Masterbuilt, similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910.../dp/B00104WRCY) ) last summer and it's 100 times easier. You use less chips, I can set it and forget it (overnight smokes are so easy now...) and it comes out great. Actually smoked a whole chicken and a brisket this weekend and it was awesome. Definitely worth the $250-350 investment.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Yeah man, I used my Weber for years to smoke and then got an electric one (Masterbuilt, similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910.../dp/B00104WRCY) ) last summer and it's 100 times easier. You use less chips, I can set it and forget it (overnight smokes are so easy now...) and it comes out great. Actually smoked a whole chicken and a brisket this weekend and it was awesome. Definitely worth the $250-350 investment.

I believe thats similar if not the same one I was looking at.

I've been grilling for years and still haven't quite gotten the hang of it for some reason.

My biggest problem is the grease dripping down. If I'm using charcoal, it drips onto the briquettes and puts them out. If I'm using propane, it causes flare-ups.

I've debated on getting one of these, but don't know how well it will work.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
I've been grilling for years and still haven't quite gotten the hang of it for some reason.

My biggest problem is the grease dripping down. If I'm using charcoal, it drips onto the briquettes and puts them out. If I'm using propane, it causes flare-ups.

Use the lid. That'll kill any flare-ups. If the charcoal is out with some drips, i'm guessing they're not hot enough. And/or you're not using enough charcoal.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
Once you master grilling, open your world to smoking :)

I have to get an egg by the end of this summer. I sooooo want to start smoking briskets and turkey.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 26, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
The asparagus has to go directly on the grill IMO, no tinfoil. Get a nice char on it.

They also make grill pans with smaller openings that help lots with asparagus. Try dunking in lemon juice and garlic powder, then wrapping in bacon. Mmmm, bacon....

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)

How long are you letting the charcoal burn before you cook on it? They should all be mostly gray and orange by the time you start cooking.

I have no back pocket resource, I just try and look for appealing recipes through friends and social media friends, and look up the recipe. I usually give things a shot exactly how the recipe calls for, and then play around with the recipe if I think it could be better.

And I am a big charcoal user. Love it

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
Use the lid. That'll kill any flare-ups.

You would think so. Just this past weekend we had all 3 burners on low with the lid down. I was sitting right next to the grill and it still flared up. I ended up turning the middle one off completely. Maybe it's a cheap grill?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
If the charcoal is out with some drips, i'm guessing they're not hot enough. And/or you're not using enough charcoal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
How long are you letting the charcoal burn before you cook on it? They should all be mostly gray and orange by the time you start cooking.

The charcoal is plenty hot when I start. I use a metal chimney to get them going and they are ashy/glowing red when I actually put the meat on. I've gotten better but I still seem to end up with some "dead spots" in the charcoal where the grease drips down and puts it out.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 27, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
You would think so. Just this past weekend we had all 3 burners on low with the lid down. I was sitting right next to the grill and it still flared up. I ended up turning the middle one off completely. Maybe it's a cheap grill?

There might be something to that or the design.

The charcoal is plenty hot when I start. I use a metal chimney to get them going and they are ashy/glowing red when I actually put the meat on. I've gotten better but I still seem to end up with some "dead spots" in the charcoal where the grease drips down and puts it out.

Hmmm, is there a vent below that you can open to give it better airflow?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 27, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)

What kind of charcoal are you using? You arent using the stuff with lighter fluid that is supposed to excelerate the fire are you?