Spirit Airlines

jasonxctf

They are what they are. An airline whose business model is entirely built around reducing costs. That means they charge you for everything other than breathing. It also means they run as thin as possible, with just enough personnel and equipment to run properly if everything goes exactly right. When something isn't exactly right, it all falls apart.

Thanks. Here's my problem..

They are the only airline that flies direct to where I'm going from Chicago. All other airlines have a stopover, and I'm traveling with a 4 year old.

So I can fly direct, on Spirit for $550/roundtrip for 3

or

I can fly with 1 stopover on American for $1100.

So at the surface, I say, why pay $550 extra for a longer flight trip with the stopover??? But I also dont want to get stuck in airline hell either...

They are the only airline that flies direct to where I'm going from Chicago. All other airlines have a stopover, and I'm traveling with a 4 year old.

or

So at the surface, I say, why pay $550 extra for a longer flight trip with the stopover??? But I also dont want to get stuck in airline hell either...

You just described perfectly why I drive anywhere within 700 miles.

EDIT: And beyond 700 miles I only go places Southwest flies.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
You just described perfectly why I drive anywhere within 700 miles.

My number is 8 hours unless it is work related. By the time I get up to ORD, plus get up there the extra two hours early, etc, I might as well drive.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)

or

Does that $550 include picking your own seat? I imagine you'd want to guarantee you sit next to your 4 year old, so you want might want to check how much extra that costs.

My number is 8 hours unless it is work related. By the time I get up to ORD, plus get up there the extra two hours early, etc, I might as well drive.

If it's work related I pretty much have to fly anywhere because paying my time in the car + gas >>> paying for the flight, but if it's not work related I'll drive as far as 10 hours. We haven't done more than 6 in a day with the kids yet but I think they could handle it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
If it's work related I pretty much have to fly anywhere because paying my time in the car + gas >>> paying for the flight, but if it's not work related I'll drive as far as 10 hours. We haven't done more than 6 in a day with the kids yet but I think they could handle it.

This. I had to fly to Columbus before. That one sucked. I could have been there driving in the time that it took me to drive to ORD, add the extra time for security, and the flight.

This. I had to fly to Columbus before. That one sucked. I could have been there driving in the time that it took me to drive to ORD, add the extra time for security, and the flight.

I was able to cost-justify driving to Charlottesville once because of the combination of the flight being so expensive and the layover being so long. I got back over an hour before the other two people from my office who chose to fly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)

SWA all the way to Cbus. Lots of flight times/options.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I prefer SWA when I fly for sure. I know it is a love/hate airline, but I love them.

I love them too, but I was really happy with Alaska recently. Same 737-700's and 800's as Southwest, but the seats are nicer (built-in adjustable headrests, 120VAC and USB charging ports on every seat). Obviously more limited flight selection, but I'd recommend them if they were an option for anyone.

It depends on the length of the flight, but i'd do it to save $550. I hear if you buy the upgraded seat it's the same as any of the other airlines, i.e. it still sucks but it's not any worse. Not sure if that's available.

If the flight is 4-6 hours, deal with it. $550 buys you a lot of extra crap at the location you're going to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I prefer SWA when I fly for sure. I know it is a love/hate airline, but I love them.

I love them too, go over 120k miles every year with SWA and the status helps as well. However there is one airline in the midwest I will dabble with, Sun Country. Cant beat upgrading to first class for 25 bucks and they have Surly beer.