GGajewski18

Signings:

1B Adam LaRoche 2 years/20 million

UTIl Emilio Bonifacio 2 years/10 million

RP Luke Hochever 1 year/3 million

SP Jake Peavy 1 year/10 million

Trades:

Sox acquire RP Brandon Maurer from the Mariners for OF Dayan Viciedo

Sox acquire OF Carlos Gonzalez and RP Rex Brothers from the Rockies for SP Chris Beck, 2B Micah Johnson, SP Francellis Montas, OF Courtney Hawkins

Sox trade SP John Danks to the Marlins for SP Austin Brice

Release/Let Go

RP Ronald Belisario

RP Matt Lindstrom

SP Felipe Paulino

1B Paul Konerko (Retirement)

DFA

RP Frank De Los Santos

RP Taylor Thompson

RP Raul Fernandez

Line Up

CF Adam Eaton

SS Alexei Ramirez

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez

RF Avisail Garcia

DH Adam LaRoche

3B Conor Gillaspie

2B Marcus Semien

C Tyler Flowers

Rotation

SP Chris Sale

SP Jose Quintana

SP Jake Peavy

SP Hector Noesi

SP Chris Bassitt

Bullpen

RP Scott Carroll (long relief)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Zach Putnam

RP Brandon Maurer/Luke Hochever

RP Rex Brothers

RP Erik Surkamp

RP Daniel Webb

Bench

C Josh Phegley

2B/SS Carlos Sanchez

OF Jordan Danks

UTIL Emilio Bonifacio

Thoughts?

Edited by SoxPride18

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't think there is anyway the Rockies take that offer. None of those guys are blue chip prospects. To get CarGo, you may have to build a package around Tim Anderson, someone they may like when they want to trade Tulo eventually.

I think it's a viable offer if you assume you're taking all the money off of their hands.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
I think it's a viable offer if you assume you're taking all the money off of their hands.

Oh jesus, I saw 7 yrs/$80, but didn't realize how heavily backloaded his contract is.

2015 - $16M

2016 - $17M

2017 - $20M

Yikes, yeah, maybe that first package seems pretty fair. I'd even try to sneak Montas OUT of that deal.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
What did you do with Zach Putnam?

He was really good this year, but had shoulder issues. I don't think he pitched the last 2 weeks. Maybe he found something, but he was with 4 or 5 organizations the last 4 or 5 years. I wouldn't count on him being healthy or effective in 2015. I'd bring him back though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
What did you do with Zach Putnam?

I would have saw what the market for him was on July 30, because I don't believe he will replicate his season. That being said, I bring him back as a sixth inning guy, and if he succeeeds great. If someone beats him out, I am cool with that as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
He was really good this year, but had shoulder issues. I don't think he pitched the last 2 weeks. Maybe he found something, but he was with 4 or 5 organizations the last 4 or 5 years. I wouldn't count on him being healthy or effective in 2015. I'd bring him back though.

Just saying he's under team control and he's coming off a very good season. Obviously he has to be healthy, but for now, it should be assumed he's in the pen next year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Not familiar with that Brian Anderson, but if he just got drafted in June, he isn't eligible to be traded this winter.

I also think Peavy probably had enough here. He loves the NL too.

Edited the Danks trade.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
In order to get, you have to give. Adding CarGo and LaRoche is adding TWO quality left handed bats to a line up.

Im saying no to giving up that type of package and taking all that money on top of it. As others have pointed out, CarGo is injury plagued and that is a lot for a guy that cant play 150-162 games.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Im saying no to giving up that type of package and taking all that money on top of it. As others have pointed out, CarGo is injury plagued and that is a lot for a guy that cant play 150-162 games.

You may not agree with it, but everyone here knows that Colorado would probably ask for more than that, so I think that could be a happy medium.

If the Sox want to compete next year, you have to jump on opportunities for left handed bats, that are still young and in their prime.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)

I'm just saying it would get it done. I'm on the fence as to whether or not it's good for the team. Our front office would have to have reason to feel good about his medicals, of course.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
I'm just saying it would get it done. I'm on the fence as to whether or not it's good for the team. Our front office would have to have reason to feel good about his medicals, of course.

Agreed on all accounts. I would really need to know he is healthy to ransom the future like that. You are taking 2 potential Top 100 prospects, adding a bunch of money, and trading away other usable pieces. That could make or breaka franchise right there. I'm not opposed to going after CarGo at all, I just want the price to be right.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
After the Pirates called up Polanco, I've been thinking Travis Snider makes a lot of sense for the Sox.

I like this idea too. Hell, I would take Tabata's contract off their hands since Tabata can hit for average and play good defense. In fact, offering to take Tabata's contract might help with a deal for Snyder.

As for Cargo. Bad splits, bad injury history and an absolutely horrible contract is a beyond horrible idea. The idea is below scraping the bottom of the barrel. Why Cargo's name continues to get brought up with so many other options available at this point is beyond logical understanding.

I'll take Ethier and his ugly contract over CarGo and given the Dodgers want to trade an OF to open up a spot for Pederson as well as lower their payroll, I'd say Ethier makes much more sense from the Sox perspective. I must give credit, I believe the Ethier idea is Wite's if I'm not mistaken.

Jay Bruce would be a nice piece to buy low on. He's a 30 HR left-handed bat that owns a 9.4 BB%. His defense is all over the place, sometimes good, sometimes bad. He strikes out more than you'd like, but he also won't clog the bases.

He is owed $12M, $12.5, and then has an option for $13M in 2017.

He was worth -1.1 WAR last year, 4.0 WAR the year before, had a career high of 4.9 WAR at age 23, and will turn 28 right after the season starts next year. Like I said, the Reds MAY be willing to sell low on him and want to move that money. The only problem is that their OF is already pretty weak with Billy Hamilton being the only longterm piece there. Their other OFers include Ryan Ludwick and Skip Schumaker. However, 2 of the Reds 3 top prospects are OFers, so they may be willing to let one of those guys replace Bruce next season.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Jay Bruce would be a nice piece to buy low on. He's a 30 HR left-handed bat that owns a 9.4 BB%. His defense is all over the place, sometimes good, sometimes bad. He strikes out more than you'd like, but he also won't clog the bases.

He was worth -1.1 WAR last year, 4.0 WAR the year before, had a career high of 4.9 WAR at age 23, and will turn 28 right after the season starts next year. Like I said, the Reds MAY be willing to sell low on him and want to move that money. The only problem is that their OF is already pretty weak with Billy Hamilton being the only longterm piece there. Their other OFers include Ryan Ludwick and Skip Schumaker. However, 2 of the Reds 3 top prospects are OFers, so they may be willing to let one of those guys replace Bruce next season.

Yeah I threw his name out there in another thread, so I'm on board with the thought. His deal is backloaded and the Reds may be looking to rebuild. The only issue is I realyl have NO idea how to gauge his value. Idk if it's a buy low or not.

But yeah, he's a guy whose tires must be kicked! Upon. Or whatever.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)

Agreed. Bruce is definitely my #2 behind CarGo. Unless you can package Viciedo in a deal with him too.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Signings:

1B Adam LaRoche 2 years/20 million

UTIl Emilio Bonifacio 2 years/10 million

RP Luke Hochever 1 year/3 million

SP Jake Peavy 1 year/10 million

Trades:

Sox acquire RP Brandon Maurer from the Mariners for OF Dayan Viciedo

Sox acquire OF Carlos Gonzalez and RP Rex Brothers from the Rockies for SP Chris Beck, 2B Micah Johnson, SP Francellis Montas, OF Courtney Hawkins

Sox trade SP John Danks to the Marlins for SP Austin Brice

Release/Let Go

RP Ronald Belisario

RP Matt Lindstrom

SP Felipe Paulino

1B Paul Konerko (Retirement)

DFA

RP Frank De Los Santos

RP Taylor Thompson

RP Raul Fernandez

Line Up

CF Adam Eaton

SS Alexei Ramirez

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez

RF Avisail Garcia

DH Adam LaRoche

3B Conor Gillaspie

2B Marcus Semien

C Tyler Flowers

Rotation

SP Chris Sale

SP Jose Quintana

SP Jake Peavy

SP Hector Noesi

SP Chris Bassitt

Bullpen

RP Scott Carroll (long relief)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Zach Putnam

RP Brandon Maurer/Luke Hochever

RP Rex Brothers

RP Erik Surkamp

RP Daniel Webb

Bench

C Josh Phegley

2B/SS Carlos Sanchez

OF Jordan Danks

UTIL Emilio Bonifacio

Thoughts?

Thank God you are not the GM, and you don't want Cargo the millionth f***ing time, he makes no sense for the Sox and he is the definition of a bad contract. He's not even a guy you could buy low on and take a risk since the contract is so big.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
I have an irrational love for Tabata, so I would totally be down with that. Having said that, losing both Tabata AND Snider depletes their depth quite a bit, so I'd expect them to be happy to move one, but probably not both.

Thing is, Pitt just designated Tabata for assignment, which he accepted, so he is in AAA limbo making 4M in 2015. I don't think they would mind moving his salary considering they need the money to try and re-sign Martin, Liriano and Volquez. Sending a cheap back up OF like Sierra could help. Not sure what the Sox could offer to grab both Snyder and Tabata. I would imagine Bassitt would almost have to be included.