Morrissey: JR/Sox don't care what fans think/want

caulfield12

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/white-s...ventura-chants/

And that it applies to the Bulls/Forman as well.

Kind of disheartening, in a way. On one hand, they shouldn't do something just because it's popular with fans...unless it will also lead to a better performance overall from the team/organization.

That's laudable, not to be overly influenced by the day-to-day noise of a season.

On the other hand, it's a HUGE reason why the fans over the last decade have started peeling away or looking for other sources of entertainment.

It's kind of, "take it or leave it," and that's not exactly the best way to build a brand...this defiant type of pose, "you're stuck with us" and if we want to hire managers with no big league experience that don't even seem that interested, if we want to sit out the free agent market when there's a plethora of good options or even not spend the "LaRoche dividend," that's the way it goes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For right or wrong JR has never cared what the media thinks, what the agents think or what the fans think. And some of that is certainly good, as a business he has to look at it this way.

But historically under this ownership there has always been a streak of arrogance, 'we're smarter than all of you...' 'we know what we're doing, you don't'.

It goes all the way back to EE and his comments about 'building a first class organization' on the press conference the day they took over insulting the Veeck family.

History again shows they really haven't built a 'first class organization' based on the on-field record. Plus Kenny is about as arrogant as they come. The former PR / marketing director Rob Gallas was as arrogant and taciturn as they come.

This can't really be called a 'fan-friendly' organization not based on the record and comments about said fan base over the year particularly from Kenny and Cooper.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

They absolutely don't need to care what the fans think about the management, because the fans will most definitely quit giving a s*** when you win. But you will have to win if you don't want the fans' feelings about the management to start hurting you.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 30, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
For right or wrong JR has never cared what the media thinks, what the agents think or what the fans think. And some of that is certainly good, as a business he has to look at it this way.

But historically under this ownership there has always been a streak of arrogance, 'we're smarter than all of you...' 'we know what we're doing, you don't'.

It goes all the way back to EE and his comments about 'building a first class organization' on the press conference the day they took over insulting the Veeck family.

History again shows they really haven't built a 'first class organization' based on the on-field record. Plus Kenny is about as arrogant as they come. The former PR / marketing director Rob Gallas was as arrogant and taciturn as they come.

This can't really be called a 'fan-friendly' organization not based on the record and comments about said fan base over the year particularly from Kenny and Cooper.

Mark

Ohhhh yesss, on Day One of the Reinsdorf Reign of Terror, we were told that a "first class organization" was coming our way. Nearly 36 years later and we have still seen no such thing. And anything they might try and take credit for building was built off the backs of taxpayers. So who knows? Maybe they are smarter than the rest of us because they found a way to build immense wealth for themselves at very little cost to them, investment wise.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 30, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)

Mark

Thankfully his son Chris isn't quite as bad...he used to work in PR/media with the Hickory Crawdads about 20 years ago when they were the White Sox SAL affiliate but not sure what he's up to now.

Taciturn is being too generous.

I've always been one who never understood the apathy of fans in buying tickets to games. However, I must say I'm in that club now. I was planning to not only hit the series with the Angels in Anaheim this summer, but also planning a trip back to Chicago for another series. If I spent a couple of thousand dollars though only to see Robin blow games, I would be so pissed. I can't allow it to happen. I'll spend my summer in Vegas and use the money on strippers instead.

I know my loss of ticket revenue for 3 games (I know the Anaheim games don't count) won't make a difference to the organization, but maybe if enough fans stay away long enough, Reinsdorf will finally understand that a managerial move needswe to be made.

This organization's fans deserve better than it is getting. I loved Robin as a player and was very supportive of him when hired as manager. However, the plug should have pulled after 2 years of ineffective leadership and there's no way he would have lasted through 3 years with any other team. The fact he continues to lead us into nowhere land for a 4th year is unacceptable.

Bring back Ozzie and I'll be back to help create Hell in the Cell for other AL teams. Until than, I'll be sitting at the rail of various titty bars giving my dollars to single moms and college students.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 30, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
I've always been one who never understood the apathy of fans in buying tickets to games. However, I must say I'm in that club now. I was planning to not only hit the series with the Angels in Anaheim this summer, but also planning a trip back to Chicago for another series. If I spent a couple of thousand dollars though only to see Robin blow games, I would be so pissed. I can't allow it to happen. I'll spend my summer in Vegas and use the money on strippers instead.

I know my loss of ticket revenue for 3 games (I know the Anaheim games don't count) won't make a difference to the organization, but maybe if enough fans stay away long enough, Reinsdorf will finally understand that a managerial move needswe to be made.

This organization's fans deserve better than it is getting. I loved Robin as a player and was very supportive of him when hired as manager. However, the plug should have pulled after 2 years of ineffective leadership and there's no way he would have lasted through 3 years with any other team. The fact he continues to lead us into nowhere land for a 4th year is unacceptable.

Bring back Ozzie and I'll be back to help create Hell in the Cell for other AL teams. Until than, I'll be sitting at the rail of various titty bars giving my dollars to single moms and college students.

Waiting to hear Greg's comments on this one...we will gain some insight into the local strip club scene in Lawrence, lol.

Otoh, probably some complaints and pontificating about the general lack of affordability of strippers for the "common man" in contemporary America.

I'm with you. I was so excited to come back to the US and see the White Sox in first place finally. Went to the game last year near the trade deadline where Samardzija dominated the Blue Jays before the bottom fell out of his season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 30, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)

Yeah, it's not "safe" to go to games right now. I'm not the type who can take it when my team blows leads and loses in a way that will embarrass me. I could have gone to any one of the three Sox-Royals games for free. No way in hell I was going to put myself through that with friends mocking me as we imploded game after game last weekend. The only "good" thing is Royals fans are so f***ed up they think they have this magical team so they were mainly giving themselves and their own players blowjobs over the comeback wins. They mocked the Sox a little but mainly praised their beloved Royals for all the cliches - never giving up, believing, having another WS caliber team. They need to consider who they beat, the pathetic White Sox. We pretty much gave them all 3 games more than them winning it. Royals are lucky we are their b****es. We really have helped their 2 titles in a row and have sparked them this year for sure. The Sox cure a lot of what ails the Royals when we play them.

p.s. Those were two great stories linked. Especially the one ripping the new players and saying the spirit was gone.

Edited by greg775

But the best teams in baseball always create their own luck...and ALWAYS capitalize on walks (especially late in games) and other team's mistakes.

Like the Twins last decade, they play fundamentally sound baseball and often that ends up with the result of the White Sox simply beating themselves. The weirdest part of this whole situation is that the White Sox were playing the same style of baseball as the Royals for the first 33 games.

Lots of stringing hits together in bunches but not necessarily a ton of homers, great bullpen and close to dominant defense (if you add in the throwing arms of Cabrera and Eaton). Battling every at-bat and making pitchers work deep in counts instead of just going up here with no plan at all of how to attack that pitcher's weaknesses.

There was this feeling that Todd Frazier at 3B had really shored up the left side of that infield, which had been a trouble spot since Joe Crede. If Ventura wasn't the manager, I'd say this whole situation was inexplicable but we've seen it too often before to be thoroughly surprised anymore.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 30, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Bring back Ozzie and I'll be back to help create Hell in the Cell for other AL teams.

Sorry. This organizations has many problems. Bringing Ozzie who quit on them before, would only add more of them as soon as he opened his drunken big mouth.

I'll pass thank you.

Mark

LOL.

Great, then what's the point of a messageboard?

Meathead fans for one of the most forward-looking, professional, loyal, high-class, winningest organizations in the game? Maybe we don't deserve the Sox!!!

It's typical that management always puts Sox fans in a position where they fight with each other instead of the addressing the real problem. Nice that they can distract us in such a fashion, as it's quite the neat parlor trick.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Vance Law @ May 30, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
Fans are meatheads. If you run an organization paying attention to their idiotic wants and decrees you have no chance.

And if you run an organization without any accountability you will have no chance. Sometimes those "meathead" fans are right and this is one of those times. Robin is a joke and needs to go.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 30, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
As others have said, JR needs to do what the Blackhawks apparently did: hire a President (or whatever) that revitalizes the org. Ken Williams isn't coming close to doing a competent job.

Toews, Kane, and Keith revitalized the Blackhawks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
LOL.

Great, then what's the point of a messageboard?

Meathead fans for one of the most forward-looking, professional, loyal, high-class, winningest organizations in the game? Maybe we don't deserve the Sox!!!

It's typical that management always puts Sox fans in a position where they fight with each other instead of the addressing the real problem. Nice that they can distract us in such a fashion, as it's quite the neat parlor trick.

The point of a message board isn't to run a team.

Take away that 6-0 against MN and 3-1 against the A's, we're six games under .500 now.

Obviously, we beat some pretty good teams, like the Rangers (4-2 against, should have been 5-1 or 6-0) but without the advantage of those games against the two worst teams in the AL, we would have looked closer to an "average" team from the very beginning instead of sliding into that position and occupying it from the get-go.