Robin Ventura sacrifice bunted with the 3 hitter in the 7th inning

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunting has been proven to be completely inefficient and Ventura not only decides to call for one, but he decides to do so with our most consistent hitter at the plate. Just ridiculous. The Hawks and Bulls are done and the Bears don't start for a while, so we're stuck with this garbage for the summer. Fantastic.

Bunting is always terrible unless it's your pitcher or if the guy is trying to and is actually capable of bunting for a hit.

Totally incompetent managing. Totally incompetent organizational philosophies. This team is done. They won't be good again until Reinsdorf is gone and someone comes in and cleans house, and even then they still might not be good.

The only way it could have turned out worse would have been the Mets intentionally walking Frazier and then Shuck, just up from the minors but for some inexplicable reason thrust into the 5 hole (he's LH, therefore he should hit Harvey, who is right-handed I guess) rolled into a double play...

Fireable offense. (Trademark pending, temporary copyright issued to Greg.)

Rollins playing against a RHP (despite his career numbers against Harvey) who's throwing 95-98...not good. Saladino actually has shown an ability to hit some of the better pitchers in baseball (oddly enough) during his brief time in the big leagues.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 30, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Thoughts on this move? Has such a move happened at any other time this year? Does Robin know more than the rest of the baseball world? Is he going to single handedly bring bunting back in vogue?

bad

Ventura has limited skills.

It's pure comedy considering one of the 2 hitters who had a chance to knock him in was Shuck.

Edited by GreenSox

The only way it could have turned out worse would have been the Mets intentionally walking Frazier and then Shuck, just up from the minors but for some inexplicable reason thrust into the 5 hole (he's LH, therefore he should hit Harvey, who is right-handed I guess) rolled into a double play...

Fireable offense. (Trademark pending, temporary copyright issued to Greg.)

Rollins playing against a RHP (despite his career numbers against Harvey) who's throwing 95-98...not good. Saladino actually has shown an ability to hit some of the better pitchers in baseball (oddly enough) during his brief time in the big leagues.

Some of the Sox bloggers are going off on twitter that Hahn should be on his way to NYC to fire Ventura. I haven't been a fan of this team for whole Jerry's tenure, but I absolutely don't see that happening.

Edited by Knuckles

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 30, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Would love to see what half the people here can do managing. Monday morning quarterbacking is easy

Most of these moves of late were second guessed before (bunt, pitching to Hosmer). With that said, even the moves that make sense have back-fired. Team is just mentally weak. Once something bad happens in a game, they fold.

Has it been confirmed that Ventura made this call or did Cabrera decide to do it on his own? Not to ruffle anybody's feathers, I just haven't heard who actually "made" this decision. Either way, it was garbage. But if it was Robin, just further evidence that he should be on his way out...taking the bat out of Cabrera's hands in that situation with a slumping Frazier on deck and a guy just called up in the hole.

Yeah, the biggest concern for the Mets was Harvey the third time through the order. (If he made it that far).

Before those first two runners reached that inning, only 2 of the previous 45 or 46 batters the White Sox sent up against him in 2013 and 2016 had reached.

I don't know what his numbers are the 3rd time facing a line-up, but I'm guessing the BAA has to be .350-.400 with a correspondingly high OPS number as well.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ May 30, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)
Has it been confirmed that Ventura made this call or did Cabrera decide to do it on his own? Not to ruffle anybody's feathers, I just haven't heard who actually "made" this decision. Either way, it was garbage. But if it was Robin, just further evidence that he should be on his way out...taking the bat out of Cabrera's hands in that situation with a slumping Frazier on deck and a guy just called up in the hole.

Like Morrissey wrote, it looks like he's trying to be fired. Put likeable Robin out of his misery, JR. He's a failure. No harm in that. Not everybody can manage.

Today wasn't just about the bunt though. Robin also batted Shuck 5th, started Rollins over Saladino against a RHP, pulled Albers for Duke when the batter had stronger splits against LHP (plus burned two relievers late in a one run game), & pinch-hit in the 9th with Navarro over Avi & Saladino. Just an absolutely horrific display of managing today.

QUOTE (Tony @ May 30, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
I can 100% in all honesty say I had two people text me when Melky tried to bunt, asking me "WHY?". I had the same thought.

I agree for the most part when I see people say "I could draft better than this GM" or "I could do this so much better." It's annoying.

In a case like this, it was just a horrible call that pretty much everyone was in agreement with at the jump.

OK I get you. But what if Melky would have grounded into a 4-6-3 DP? What would have been the reaction

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 30, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Today wasn't just about the bunt though. Robin also batted Shuck 5th, started Rollins over Saladino against a RHP, pulled Albers for Duke when the batter had stronger splits against LHP (plus burned two relievers late in a one run game), & pinch-hit in the 9th with Navarro over Avi & Saladino. Just an absolutely horrific display of managing today.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...ng3/neil-walker

You might want to give him a break on that one...over a THREE year time period, a 200 OPS differential is pretty darned significant.

That's over 280 ab's against LHP and 1253 against RHP.

37 at-bats in two months of one season vs. that consistent track record, SAMPLE SIZE SAMPLE SIZE SAMPLE SIZE.

That's why baseball is so hard. Has Walker really become a different/better hitter in his early 30's and figured something out? Perhaps. The same thing definitely happened with Moustakas last year, where you'd pretty much learned by the end of the season that he was taking a completely different approach offensively and driving lots of balls to the opposite field instead of pulling into the shift.

Thing is do we really think this team will do any better with someone else? I dont think so. I agree the team is weak mentally.I think its an organization thing. Proof is against the royals. The royals are the new twins. And BTW ozzie managed those teams