Giancarlo Stanton traded to Yankees

Jose Abreu

Ryan Bass‏Verified account

@Ry_Bass

Sounds a lot like Giancarlo Stanton will be traded.

I know, I know. His contract sucks, we're rebuilding, blah blah blah... at the same time, I feel like this isn't something that can't be completely ruled out. Given how horrible the contract is, his trade value is much lower. It's too early to start trading prospects for proven talent, but this is the one and only opportunity we're going to have to acquire a power hitter like Stanton. If a trade were centered around Dunning and Adolfo, with the Sox receiving cash, of course, would you support it? This would make the Avi trade a lot easier, and he'd provide great protection for Abreu and Moncada.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That contract is pretty awful. I know he had a huge this year, but that is a dude that has a long history of fighting health and this year was so far and above what he has done in the past. I am not sure I want the Sox to bet a quarter of a billion dollars, PLUS major prospects on the guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
That contract is pretty awful. I know he had a huge this year, but that is a dude that has a long history of fighting health and this year was so far and above what he has done in the past. I am not sure I want the Sox to bet a quarter of a billion dollars, PLUS major prospects on the guy.

You'll also have to ask yourself what out teams would be interested in acquiring him and what those teams could likely offer.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
Ryan Bass‏Verified account

@Ry_Bass

Sounds a lot like Giancarlo Stanton will be traded.

I know, I know. His contract sucks, we're rebuilding, blah blah blah... at the same time, I feel like this isn't something that can't be completely ruled out. Given how horrible the contract is, his trade value is much lower. It's too early to start trading prospects for proven talent, but this is the one and only opportunity we're going to have to acquire a power hitter like Stanton. If a trade were centered around Dunning and Adolfo, with the Sox receiving cash, of course, would you support it? This would make the Avi trade a lot easier, and he'd provide great protection for Abreu and Moncada.

See,I just don't agree that his contract sucks. I think if you can get him without giving up your a-level contracts, you do it. He's going to ba very good player during the window we compete.

I would do that trade in a heart beat. His contract might not be great right now, but in a few years when all of our guys are reaching their big arb years, the contract may look relatively normal. I also think that with his new approach at the plate he can sustain this level of production, though not this many home runs. Plus, giving up Dunning and Adolfo doesn't leave leave any holes because both of those are really positions of strength in our system.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
I would do that trade in a heart beat. His contract might not be great right now, but in a few years when all of our guys are reaching their big arb years, the contract may look relatively normal. I also think that with his new approach at the plate he can sustain this level of production, though not this many home runs. Plus, giving up Dunning and Adolfo doesn't leave leave any holes because both of those are really positions of strength in our system.

He turns 28 in November.

To be fair, one of the reasons Stanton missed the end of a year was because he was hit in the face by a 95 MPH fastball. That's not injury prone, that's bad luck.

He has been prone to lower body injuries in the past, primarily quads, hamstrings, and groins, which are not good. I would trust the Sox training staff to take care of him.

For the right price, I'd absolutely consider it. I believe he has an opt out in 3 or 4 years, and I imagine he'd use that to get one more long-term deal, but maybe not.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
To be fair, one of the reasons Stanton missed the end of a year was because he was hit in the face by a 95 MPH fastball. That's not injury prone, that's bad luck.

He has been prone to lower body injuries in the past, primarily quads, hamstrings, and groins, which are not good. I would trust the Sox training staff to take care of him.

For the right price, I'd absolutely consider it. I believe he has an opt out in 3 or 4 years, and I imagine he'd use that to get one more long-term deal, but maybe not.

That's the problem. If he's worth the contract, it gets ripped up and you have to give him another one, or be smart enough to walk away.

IMO, acquiring him, unless you are ready to win now or very soon, is something that can only blow up in your face. No matter what, you are going to be getting a player who eventually will be paid a lot of money to really suck.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)

If he performs, he's opting out. If he collapses, then you are stuck with the long-term nature of the deal. Get creative with the insurance you associate with the contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
That's the problem. If he's worth the contract, it gets ripped up and you have to give him another one, or be smart enough to walk away.

IMO, acquiring him, unless you are ready to win now or very soon, is something that can only blow up in your face. No matter what, you are going to be getting a player who eventually will be paid a lot of money to really suck.

My view is the Sox are going to at some point, play in the free agency space, so with that in mind, I think they are going to spend money. If you get Stanton, you are getting him (even before he opts out) during a window you anticipate contending and if anything you might actually accelerate that "contention" window. You are right that if he performs he is opting out and I would advise the Sox to walk away at that point. If he is good, he might stick around and that isn't necessarily an awful thing either. You know you get him for the next 3 years and if he performs, that should work out to a solid overall value. If he doesn't, you definitely run a risk to be on the hook for the remaining years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
If he performs, he's opting out. If he collapses, then you are stuck with the long-term nature of the deal. Get creative with the insurance you associate with the contract.

I would go for it. A lot of people want to sign Machado next off season. He could conceivably demand a bigger contract than stantons.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)

the opt out is really the poison pill. It f***s the team either way. If he's that awesome than great, you'll probably lose him in FA. If he sucks, he's going to opt in and you're stuck.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)

If he opts out of this contract it means this deal has gone very, very well for the Sox, barring some incredibly significant pieces going back to Miami.

That said, I do not think it will take as much as some here might think. The one very interested party thus far has been San Francisco.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
All right guys...don't be shy, add a name.

Are you willing to give up Robert for him?

Rutherford?

Someone lower?

Gotta elaborate on what you mean by the right price.

That's what makes this intriguing to me. Given how expensive the contract is, it's hard to really know what the right price is. The Dunning/Adolfo package I floated in the OP wasn't my own idea, but a duo that was discussed as a potentially reasonable return for him by other baseball fans online. It's difficult to really know what the price tag will be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
All right guys...don't be shy, add a name.

Are you willing to give up Robert for him?

Rutherford?

Someone lower?

Gotta elaborate on what you mean by the right price.

I wouldn't trade a top 15 prospect for him right now, and if insisted on someone between 16-20, I'd probably only be willing to include another small piece. There is little margin for surplus value within the current construction of the deal, so his value is fairly low right now despite coming off a great season.