Athletics interested in Avisail Garcia

Y2Jimmy0

http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/A-...-s-12357838.php

The A’s have most of their lineup set but want to add a right-handed-hitting outfielder, and it was learned they have interest in Avisail Garcia of the White Sox, or at least that type of player.

Garcia, 26, is coming off a breakout season and was a first-time All-Star, hitting .330 with 18 homers and 80 RBIs in 136 games. Chicago GM Rick Hahn said he’s open to trading Garcia and first baseman Jose Abreu, both of whom are under club control through 2019.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 07:46 AM)
http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/A-...-s-12357838.php

The A’s have most of their lineup set but want to add a right-handed-hitting outfielder, and it was learned they have interest in Avisail Garcia of the White Sox, or at least that type of player.

Garcia, 26, is coming off a breakout season and was a first-time All-Star, hitting .330 with 18 homers and 80 RBIs in 136 games. Chicago GM Rick Hahn said he’s open to trading Garcia and first baseman Jose Abreu, both of whom are under club control through 2019.

It doesn't appear to make sense for the A's since it seems like they are rebuilding but they always do this kind of stuff so in a way, it does make sense since Garcia is cheap and that's kind of how Oakland has to operate.

Also, I'll save everyone a bit of time:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=oak

Edited by soxfan2014

The A’s always do things that are counterproductive to their rebuild, I’m not surprised that they’d try and buy Avi. Although, it makes a little more sense, because Avi has 2y left of control. But, then again, they traded for Jon Lester to try and beat the unstoppable regular season Angels at that point. Same with 2009 and Matt Holliday. Angels just ran the table back in those days.

Edited by Soxnfins

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
The A’s always do things that are counterproductive to their rebuild, I’m not surprised that they’d try and buy Avi. Although, it makes a little more sense, because Avi has 2y left of control. But, then again, they traded for Jon Lester to try and beat the unstoppable regular season Angels at that point. Same with 2008 and Matt Holliday.

lol traded their best run producer for him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
Luzardo, Murphy, and Jefferies?

If you could get Jesus Luzardo and and Lazaro Armenteros I would do it in a heartbeat. Not sure Oakland would offer that though. Catcher Sean Murphy is a potential guy to keep in mind. The White Sox love AFL players. THey were also interested in Luzardo for DRob during the Nats talks.

I'd rather the Sox hold on to him, unless someone is willing to generously overpay. What is there to lose? If 2017 was a fluke, no big deal- they probably wouldn't have gotten anything of significance for him anyway. The possibility that perhaps things finally did click for Avi is worth more to me than org filler.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
I'd rather the Sox hold on to him, unless someone is willing to overpay. What is there to lose? If 2017 was a fluke, no big deal- they probably wouldn't have gotten anything of significance for him anyway. The possibility that perhaps things finally did click for Avi is worth more to me than org filler.

The guys being discussed as possible targets for Avi aren't org filler. They are guys that actually have a chance to be quality big leaguers or more.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
It doesn't appear to make sense for the A's since it seems like they are rebuilding but they always do this kind of stuff so in a way, it does make sense since Garcia is cheap and that's kind of how Oakland has to operate.

Also, I'll save everyone a bit of time:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=oak

A's have the farm system now to match up on a deal for sure. Recent trades/draft have really increased their talent.

I'm sure Barreto and Puk are off the table, but the rest of their prospects could be in play?