2017 Republican Thread

bmags

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 03:42 AM)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-says-sande...-212438322.html

A truly great president would not blame Bernie Sanders, his supporters or GOP obstructionism for his inability to convince America of ObamaCare's ultimate success.

Obama's entire 8 years has been him claiming that if he could ONLY have explained his s*** to us better, we would all realize the extent of his wisdom and bow to his brilliance. Seriously, they always claim they only failed because they didn't get the 'message' out correctly. Maybe he did and people didn't like it. That thought never seems to enter his mind.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
Obama's entire 8 years has been him claiming that if he could ONLY have explained his s*** to us better, we would all realize the extent of his wisdom and bow to his brilliance. Seriously, they always claim they only failed because they didn't get the 'message' out correctly. Maybe he did and people didn't like it. That thought never seems to enter his mind.

Obamacare on the surface is not a bad concept. People should be able to get insurance without the for profit insurance companies telling them sorry, but you'll cost too much because of your pre existing conditions. You pretty much needed a job or to be married to someone with a job to get proper insurance before. So accessibility to good insurance is something I think we all can agree on. The major problem arose when they allowed those bloody insurance companies to try to get theirs when it should have been f*** you from the get go.

You should not be able to profit off the health of the people, period!

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)
Obamacare on the surface is not a bad concept. People should be able to get insurance without the for profit insurance companies telling them sorry, but you'll cost too much because of your pre existing conditions. You pretty much needed a job or to be married to someone with a job to get proper insurance before. So accessibility to good insurance is something I think we all can agree on. The major problem arose when they allowed those bloody insurance companies to try to get theirs when it should have been f*** you from the get go.

You should not be able to profit off the health of the people, period!

I wasn't saying Ocare was bad OR good, merely that with any of his failed policies, Obama prefers to blame his messaging rather than the actual message. Never a 'gee, the general public really doesn't like my idea to bring in 10k Syrian refugees, most of them being males of military age'.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
I wasn't saying Ocare was bad OR good, merely that with any of his failed policies, Obama prefers to blame his messaging rather than the actual message. Never a 'gee, the general public really doesn't like my idea to bring in 10k Syrian refugees, most of them being males of military age'.

Well unfortunately, as expertly demonstrated by the example you gave, he's guilty of asking Americans to be good human beings, and it's very sad that we have failed at that.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)

Ah good point. I do feel like that's a trait of politicians that their egos just don't allow them to admit that their policy didn't resonate with the people.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
Well unfortunately, as expertly demonstrated by the example you gave, he's guilty of asking Americans to be good human beings, and it's very sad that we have failed at that.

Obamacare is a weird example anyway because surveys find that people don't like "Obamacare" but they generally like all of the individual parts of Obamacare if they're described to them, except for the individual mandate.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Obamacare is a weird example anyway because surveys find that people don't like "Obamacare" but they generally like all of the individual parts of Obamacare if they're described to them, except for the individual mandate.

They like the Affordable Care Act, but hate Obamacare.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)

Invite them to live with you. Show us by your example.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 01:03 AM)
Ah good point. I do feel like that's a trait of politicians that their egos just don't allow them to admit that their policy didn't resonate with the people.

i think you have to have an ego just to BE a politician. Comes with the territory. For some it is worse than others. Humility doesn't (usually) win elections.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)

The mandate is by far the largest loss of personal freedoms since imminent domain was expanded to include pretty much anything commercial at the expense of pretty much anyone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
The mandate is by far the largest loss of personal freedoms since imminent domain was expanded to include pretty much anything commercial at the expense of pretty much anyone.

The mandate was not in the least a loss of personal freedom since the government had the right to tax certain products and offer rebates or tax credits for the purchase of products beforehand and afterwards and this is exactly what the Supreme Court said.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
The mandate was not in the least a loss of personal freedom since the government had the right to tax certain products and offer rebates or tax credits for the purchase of products beforehand and afterwards and this is exactly what the Supreme Court said.

The Supreme Court has made a lot of decisions that weren't right. Hopefully like many of them, they will realize their mistake, and not leave them to fester for centuries as in some cases.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Seat belt laws?

There is a line here that was crossed. You don't HAVE to drive a car, if you don't want to wear a seatbelt. You don't HAVE to work if you don't want to pay taxes. Don't want health insurance? Too bad. It is really scary to cross that line.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:33 PM)
There is a line here that was crossed. You don't HAVE to drive a car, if you don't want to wear a seatbelt. You don't HAVE to work if you don't want to pay taxes. Don't want health insurance? Too bad. It is really scary to cross that line.

Income tax, sure. But it's essentially impossible to avoid sales tax if you want to buy food, or avoid various municipal/state taxes if you like electricity and water.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
Income tax, sure. But it's essentially impossible to avoid sales tax if you want to buy food, or avoid various municipal/state taxes if you like electricity and water.

I would exclude water as many people have a well. Electricity is a big one though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
I would exclude water as many people have a well. Electricity is a big one though.

They are only able to legally pump that water from that well if they own the water rights on that land or lease the water rights on that land and that's a process that the government has regulated since the 1800s.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
They are only able to legally pump that water from that well if they own the water rights on that land or lease the water rights on that land and that's a process that the government has regulated since the 1800s.

That just comes from the purchase of the land.

which then requires paying property tax :V edit: especially in western states, water and mineral rights don't necessarily come with land rights

basically short of living homeless and cashless, you're not going to be able to avoid paying taxes if you don't want to. That said, ultimately I get the distinction ss2k5 sees there even I don't personally think it's a big deal.

Edited by StrangeSox