What is Shields Worth Now?

greg775

So what is Shields worth now? He's not looked like an ace in the postseason at all. Tonight he was downright awful.

I say you pay him 8-10 mill a year for 3 years (total of 24 to 30 mill) and that is it! You get to 15 million a year for that guy and you are not smart. Frankly, is he better than Peavy?

So tell me, what is he worth and what will he get??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 08:12 PM)
So what is Shields worth now? He's not looked like an ace in the postseason at all. Tonight he was downright awful.

I say you pay him 8-10 mill a year for 3 years (total of 24 to 30 mill) and that is it! You get to 15 million a year for that guy and you are not smart. Frankly, is he better than Peavy?

So tell me, what is he worth and what will he get??

Not worth it, but that's irrelevant.

What will he get for his "intangibles"?

I still think it's going to be $80-90 million and four years.

IMO this postseason should change absolutely nothing. The guy has 8 straight season of over 200 innings with 6 years of an ERA 3.85 or under, all in the American League. He's been more dependable than Buehrle since 2007, that is what you pay him for. In baseball, making the playoffs is the hard part,you don't look ahead to the playoffs. Should the Dodgers try and trade Kershaw because he blew two 7th innings leads this postseason?

That being said, I'd be a bit way of giving a 33 year old pitcher more than 3 years. It just depends if you think he's so durable he'll keep going 200+ innings like he has or if he's due for an injury or some decline.

Some team will end up spending 18M per year in a deal with Shields based on his history and the likelihood of Scherzer and Lester raising the pay scale with their contracts.

Regardless of what Shields signs for, I feel confident and happy it will not be with the Sox.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 04:47 AM)
Some team will end up spending 18M per year in a deal with Shields based on his history and the likelihood of Scherzer and Lester raising the pay scale with their contracts.

Regardless of what Shields signs for, I feel confident and happy it will not be with the Sox.

He's 33 years old and has been horses*** of late. I just don't see why teams are overvaluing this guy so much. He does not 'project' as an 18 million a year guy. Crazy.

This is insanity, really. Royals fans are bashing Yost for saying Shields would pitch Game Five. Royals fans want him to be done for the season! And this is the same Shields about to get 20 million dollars a year? Which is it, fans? Is he great or horses***??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 01:20 AM)
He's 33 years old and has been horses*** of late. I just don't see why teams are overvaluing this guy so much. He does not 'project' as an 18 million a year guy. Crazy.

I agree but Scherzer and Lester will raise the bar and teams are desperate for starting pitching so at this point its possible. Its supply and demand. I am very curious to see what kind of demand there will actually be for his services.

Who knows. Shields could end up in a situation like Kyle Lohse a few years ago where few teams were interested and end up with a smaller contract than speculated.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
I agree but Scherzer and Lester will raise the bar and teams are desperate for starting pitching so at this point its possible. Its supply and demand. I am very curious to see what kind of demand there will actually be for his services.

Who knows. Shields could end up in a situation like Kyle Lohse a few years ago where few teams were interested and end up with a smaller contract than speculated.

Peavy's going to be limited to the NL, probably...at least if teams are smart.

So once Scherzer and Lester are gone, and you're one of those 8-10 teams on the cusp of being a couple of players away from a playoff team, are you really going to rely on Edinson Volquez or Justin Masterson when you put Shield's statistical and health record up against the rest of the competition?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 01:20 AM)

This is insanity, really. Royals fans are bashing Yost for saying Shields would pitch Game Five. Royals fans want him to be done for the season! And this is the same Shields about to get 20 million dollars a year? Which is it, fans? Is he great or horses***??

Greg, in today's game $18 million is really not all that much. That is roughly equivalent to a 3 fWAR player. Fangraphs has estimated Shields' value at an average of roughly $20 million over the past 4 years. A couple of bad post season starts isn't going to change that. He will get his money and when compared to what other players are getting, he deserves to be pushing that $20 million per year mark.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
Greg, in today's game $18 million is really not all that much. That is roughly equivalent to a 3 fWAR player. Fangraphs has estimated Shields' value at an average of roughly $20 million over the past 4 years. A couple of bad post season starts isn't going to change that. He will get his money and when compared to what other players are getting, he deserves to be pushing that $20 million per year mark.

Yep. I wouldn't pay Shields but someone absolutely will. I think he gets a 5 year deal at around $85 million.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
Shields has cost himself some money this postseason. He will have about 250 innings pitched this season including the playoffs. Someone is going to pay him, but there are some warning signs.

This makes total sense, but I disagree. Logic and reason tend to get ignored in free agency, especially with top of the rotation starters. He will still get paid, and very likely overpaid, by a team that will come to regret it.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
This makes total sense, but I disagree. Logic and reason tend to get ignored in free agency, especially with top of the rotation starters. He will still get paid, and very likely overpaid, by a team that will come to regret it.

He will still get paid, but not like he would have if he truly was Big Game James this postseason. 3 out of 4 bad starts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
He will still get paid, but not like he would have if he truly was Big Game James this postseason. 3 out of 4 bad starts.

I think you have a point. When a guy with a supposed reputation for clutch performance fails so hard, it's gotta cost him a little bit, even if many GM's have moved beyond that type of thinking.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
Shields has cost himself some money this postseason. He will have about 250 innings pitched this season including the playoffs. Someone is going to pay him, but there are some warning signs.

Those 250 innings are likely the cause of his dreadful post-season. He's been bad in all of his post-season starts, and as the post-season goes on, he is getting worse.

A) He has a dead arm and will be fine by Spring Training.

B) He's injured.

C) He's bad.

Some teams need him to be an ace and start every 5 days. The White Sox need him to fit into a 5 man rotation without a specification and make 32 starts.

The fact Quintana and Sale make low money and pitch at a high level makes signing a bad contract a little more tolerable.

Edited by Harry Chappas

Age is a turn-off for me. Great 27-28-29-year-old pitchers rarely make it to market and there's a good reason why. You don't want to compound the built-in risk of pitcher contracts with the many risks associated with aging players.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
There's definitely an argument for taking a 3/75 deal rather than a 5/90 offer he might be getting elsewhere.

No GM in baseball (that wants to keep his job) is going to offer that to Shields. That's Kershaw money. He'd be lucky to get 3/45 at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
No. I think you are insanely low. No chance Shields signs for as little as 3/45. All it takes is one stupid GM, and we all know there are plenty of those out there.

I would sign Shields to the Sox at 3/45 without blinking. He'll certainly get more.