White Sox sign Tony Torcato

toonses22

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 18, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
Interesting. How'd he become your favorite player?

Met him after a game once. The whole story is on the Torcatoism site somewhere. :)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 18, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
And more importantly, as a cat, who exactly was it that taught you to drive?

I wish I could answer that one.

Chicago to sign Torcato

He is leaving today, reporting to Indianapolis

By GARY TRAYNHAM/Democrat Sports Editor

Tony Torcato, who recently returned from Italy, leaves today for Indianapolis where he will join Charlotte, the Chicago White Sox Triple-A team.

The San Francisco Giants 1997 first-round draft choice will sign a Triple-A contract with the White Sox. He was released last fall after seven seasons in the Giants' organization.

"Here I am one step away again," Torcato said Tuesday. "(The call) caught me off guard."

He had made a verbal commitment to join the Chico Outlaws in an independent professional league but opted out when the White Sox called.

"This is way better," said Torcato, who was used as a third baseman, left fielder, right fielder and first baseman by the Giants.

"Baseball is crazy," Torcato said, "from Italy, not even being a pro league, to Chico to Indianapolis."

He spent five weeks in Grosseto, playing three games a week on Fridays and Saturdays. He was 5 for 8 his last weekend and was walked three more times.

"The competition was low," he said. "Some of the teams played like Valley High School, like the Bad News Bears. I said, 'Man! Why am I doing this.'"

He was paid and his expenses were covered.

"Everything else was good," he said. "It was just the baseball. I was ripping it. Most of the time they weren't pitching to me.

"I told 'em, 'Hey, this is not for me.' Maybe 5-10 years from now when I'm ready to retire, I'll go there."

Torcato had signed with Grosseto after he had not received any offers from other pro teams. The White Sox called last week when he was in Italy.

Torcato expects to be used as a designated hitter or first baseman.

"I'm pretty happy," he said. "It's another top-notch organization. I started off thinking this year I might have been on the outs. Here I am, the end of May at Triple-A. It worked out. I'm on my way back."

Of being a designated hitter or first baseman, he said, "That's perfect. I've been playing for a little while. The teams know where I am. It's not like I'm a rookie. I'm kind of excited to get back to Triple-A."

The last time he was sent to Triple-A by the Giants early last season, his feelings were reversed. He was obviously disappointed, believing he belonged in the major leagues.

He said his shoulder, which had required surgery during his career, feels good.

"Someone wants me, that's good," he said. "I'm happy right now. I've just got to go do my job, just go and hit."

Chicago has all-stars at DH in Jim Thome, the AL home run leader, and at first base in Paul Konerko. Both homered Tuesday, Thome's 16th and Konerko's ninth.