Dodgers trade Adrian Gonzalez, BMac, Kazmir, Culberson

Heads22

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This actually makes a ton of sense for the #barves, at least. Frees up playing time for Acuna while giving them short-term pitching depth that they can use to protect their still-pretty-raw upper level SP prospects and eventually deal at the deadline.

For the Dodgers, I assume they save some money, tough I haven't taken a deep dive into the contracts.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
This puts the Dodgers under the luxury tax limit of $197 million (I think that number is right). It resets their penalty clock, or whatever you want to call it, just in time for the big free agent class next winter.

Thinking about this, the Sox chances of signing Machado or Harper just decreased.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
This is really bad news for the Sox if 2019 is circled on Rick's calendar. The less competition we face in the FA market the better....LA is a place a lot of players would love to go.

They just need to trade for the free agents they want to sign, show them the culture, and they are hooked.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Great trade for both. Hope this means Dodgers get Bryce

Harper and Kershaw to go along with all of that young talent. Good lord, yes please... maybe I'd go see a few Dodger games a year with regularity.

Born and raised here in Southern California but my heart has belonged to the White Sox ever since I watched my first ball game. It must have been around '88 or something... Then when Big Frank came along, forget about it!

Anyhow... yea... Dodgers... yepee... yahoooooo. Yay!

:gosoxretro:

Yankees and Dodgers both under the luxury tax threshold makes Sox pursuit of a headline superstar acquisition all the more difficult.

Of course, 75+% of the time, that works out to be a good thing...it’s how Alex Gordon almost falls into your lap. On the flip side, it’s also what allows you to sneak in there and sign an Abreu when there’s no positional needs in certain areas for those big spending teams.

Personally, I’d rather have the equivalent of 3-4 Christian Yelich’s acquired at different spots on the roster and mitigate the risk of the “lot of eggs in one basket” approach. Somehow, Sox versions of Harper or Machado would end up missing 2/3rd’s of their playing time with injuries.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
They just need to trade for the free agents they want to sign, show them the culture, and they are hooked.

Your right. That definitely wont work.

Hell it's not even worth exploring. Good call.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
True. Because nobody cares for anything except money.

Even outside of the money, NY and LA are prime destinations for ball players. They are great destinations for superstars looking to build a legacy and increase their national exposure.

Bottom line, this hurts the Sox if they want Machado or any prolific 2018-2019 free agent.