Reappearing Acts - Three Sox MiLB'ers away from baseball for 3+ ye

NorthSideSox72

I've been writing for Future Sox for about 7 years now, and I've interviewed probably close to 50 players. The article I just posted was one of my favorites to write, and the interview I did yesterday with Ethan was probably the most intense I've done with a player. He opened up to me about something he hasn't spoken about to the media yet, and in fact he turned down previous interview requests about his long absence from baseball.

There are three really cool stories in here, so if you read anything from me this spring, I hope this is the one you read. It's not about elite prospects, in fact only one of them is probably even a "prospect" at all (and he's a fringe guy). But they're all ballplayers.

Here it is.

It's crazy how poorly compensated the minor league guys are relative to their position in their chosen field of pro baseball. It really takes a love of the game and a helluva competitive nature to keep doing baseball as a job into your mid 20s when your shot at the majors is slim to none. Hell, your shot at anything other than the Independent League is probably slim to none. My cousin played a couple years in the Independent League after a sparkling HS and Juco career but he's a DNR ranger now ffs. The grind got him quick and so did the s*** pay. The groupies aren't that good either apparently.

Thanks for the article was a good read.