4/26 Games

flavum

5 of the first 7 Charlotte hitters have K'd. Buddy's Farm leading the universe again in this category.

Apparently, this is acceptable. Please, RH, go and have a sitdown with JR about changes that need to be made. It won't be fun, but you can do it.

Very exciting that Trayce is having his breakout year in AAA, obviously it is early. I don't know if he can ever be a starter, but if he can hit more than Danks did it would be wonderful to have that glove to bring in.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
Engel Beltre's the only one looking to give Shuck/Avi a challenge...but he's definitely more of a 4th/5th outfielder type, PR, defensive replacement.

Thompson just has too many offensive flaws to be considered anything more than a poor man's Brian Anderson at this point.

I thought he looked HORRIBLE in ST. Obviously a small sample size, but I didn't like his swing/approach at all.

Well, it should tell you a lot when the Rangers, a team desperate for outfield help...desperate enough to pin their hopes to Josh Hamilton's fading star....that they don't value him very much to let him go for nothing.

They already have a similar player in Leonys Martin, and former Ranger Leury Garcia is the infield version of Engel Beltre.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 04:29 AM)
You two realized he's talking about Engel, Adam, right?

I am excited about his prospect status, and will point out again that Stoltz compared his athleticism to Mike Trout. Hopefully he sees Double A soon.

http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/engel_adam00.html

He definitely has the neck to match him.

That said, he's going to have to maintain that 800 OPS until the Carolina League All-Star break in all likelihood.

It's quite possible they dump Mitchell, soon, and promote a AA outfielder, creating a vacancy in need of filling....but he's (Adam) only had around 150 AB's at High A, and he didn't exactly light Kannapolis on fire (he had a "solid" season there, but far from dominant).

Work in progress. That said, his K's seem to be coming down to a more manageable level considering he's hit only 12 homers from Louisville through this minor league season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 07:02 AM)
http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/engel_adam00.html

He definitely has the neck to match him.

That said, he's going to have to maintain that 800 OPS until the Carolina League All-Star break in all likelihood.

It's quite possible they dump Mitchell, soon, and promote a AA outfielder, creating a vacancy in need of filling....but he's (Adam) only had around 150 AB's at High A, and he didn't exactly light Kannapolis on fire (he had a "solid" season there, but far from dominant).

Work in progress. That said, his K's seem to be coming down to a more manageable level considering he's hit only 12 homers from Louisville through this minor league season.

They already did the latter of the bolded (Coats), the former is likely coming soon.

I also think it's possible in a few months that Jason Coats takes over the top slot for an outfielder ready to be promoted should a need arise. He doesn't have the ceiling Thompson does, but I think he's got just as much likelihood to be a useful major leaguer, maybe even more.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
With a BB% of 10.7%. Engel is slashing .308/.387/.431 after going 4-26 (.154) out of the gate. It's still a SSS but he's on an absolute tear .410/.452/.590/1.042 over his last ten games. I still think he should be in AA soon. Needs to be challenged and get age appropriate. It would be awesome if he put it together this season, I liken his game as a Craig Gentry type.

Given the age he is, I'm not concerned about the age appropriateness at this point. If he moves up to AA at some point this year, that's fine, as he'd be younger than average and about right for AA at 23.

As I said before though, there is essentially an open slot in BHAM, so Engel should really get up there soon for that reason and that he seems to be handling A+ so well. One piece of bad news - he's really a CF, and he'll have to alternate with Jacob May if he's going to get time there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
Given the age he is, I'm not concerned about the age appropriateness at this point. If he moves up to AA at some point this year, that's fine, as he'd be younger than average and about right for AA at 23.

As I said before though, there is essentially an open slot in BHAM, so Engel should really get up there soon for that reason and that he seems to be handling A+ so well. One piece of bad news - he's really a CF, and he'll have to alternate with Jacob May if he's going to get time there.

May is a good defender thanks to his speed, but his route running needs work and his arm isn't great.

Sounds like if Engel's as athletic and Trout-like as some are claiming, May might be the one to be moved to LF.

His speed and ability to play center field are his best assets.

Guess it all depends on who the organization believes has the higher upside, as you'd prefer that player to stay in CF and then eventually move if needed, just like you keep a player at SS as long as possible before moving him to 2B, 3B or the outfield.

Edited by caulfield12