State of the System Series

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
Taking a look at the organizational strength by position, starting with the catchers.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2015/...stem-catcher-2/

Not the most inspiring list of names, headlined by Kevan Smith, our #21 prospect. Hopefully someone can step it up this year.

thank for the article. very informative while not encouraging. catching is really a huge black hole for the system.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Taking a look at the organizational strength by position, starting with the catchers.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2015/...stem-catcher-2/

Not the most inspiring list of names, headlined by Kevan Smith, our #21 prospect. Hopefully someone can step it up this year.

I expected a little more optimistic write up for Nieto. I realize his development was delayed a little bit last season, but he had to of learned a ton by being up working with big league players and coaches everyday. I would think that it gave him a glimpse of exactly what he needs to work and improve upon over the next season or 2 and hopefully get back to the majors ready to play.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
I expected a little more optimistic write up for Nieto. I realize his development was delayed a little bit last season, but he had to of learned a ton by being up working with big league players and coaches everyday. I would think that it gave him a glimpse of exactly what he needs to work and improve upon over the next season or 2 and hopefully get back to the majors ready to play.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

but that is the point, he may have learned alot, now he has to show what he learned in a game.

just b/c some players learned the position, doesn't make him automatically being able to perform.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
but that is the point, he may have learned alot, now he has to show what he learned in a game.

just b/c some players learned the position, doesn't make him automatically being able to perform.

It's not like he was a scrub before last season. In 2013 at A+ he slashed .285 .373 .449 .821 at the age of 23. He was slightly older than average for the league, but at catcher that seems pretty typical. Your "being able to perform" line doesn't make a whole lot of sense here. He was a solid ball player which is why the Sox thought it was worth stashing him on the bench last season even though he had never played about A ball. Personally, I have just as high of hopes for him as I do for any other catcher that is currently in the system.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
It's not like he was a scrub before last season. In 2013 at A+ he slashed .285 .373 .449 .821 at the age of 23. He was slightly older than average for the league, but at catcher that seems pretty typical. Your "being able to perform" line doesn't make a whole lot of sense here. He was a solid ball player which is why the Sox thought it was worth stashing him on the bench last season even though he had never played about A ball. Personally, I have just as high of hopes for him as I do for any other catcher that is currently in the system.

you got it right, stashed him in the majors. he prob picked up a load full training and had the best developmental training, hands on training. now he has to show he can do it, and for a full season.

having high hope was not the post you were discussing.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)
I like Nieto but has pitch framing and contact rate have miles to go before he's a league average backup catcher. I think he'll have a decent 5-7 year MLB career but it won't be as anything more than a backup.

as far as i can tell, maybe it is my skepticism, but i see him as a backup at best.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
Yeah, lots to like in that area of the farm.

can you remember when this system had paper to wipe their backside???

it is a long road. but i love it.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 6, 2015 -> 01:40 AM)
I don't understand your metaphor.

yeah, i was wrong in that. i can't remember what i was writing, haven't slept in 2 days up till that point.

edit... i think i was trying to say, they didn't even have paper to wipe their backside. in other words the system was completely bare.

Edited by LDF

Enjoyed the report on the outfielders. I'm interested in your opinion about Antonio Rodriguez. He is 20 (barely) and has had parts of two seasons in the lowest Rookie Leagues (Bristol and Arizona). Obviously he is ticketed for a third year in short season rookie ball. Seems like he should get a shot at Kanny, since he is so promising. What do you think.