Rear facing car seats don't do anything

bmags

This ones for the parents:

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/ea...90410088811eecb

This study was the basis for car seats to be rear facing.

It's findings could not be replicated, though they aren't harming anyone (except for car sickness).

Child safety is important so I don't get too upset when being overcautious turns out to be unwarranted, but DAMN rearfacing seats were so inconvenient and basically demand you get an SUV.

Interesting. Never had any issues getting them in the car, but the hard part was as my kids got closer to when they were supposed to be able to move to forward facing was trying to keep them in a "backward" facing because it became less comfortable (and partly because they knew that if they sat the other way they could see mommy / daddy, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 05:47 PM)
Interesting. Never had any issues getting them in the car, but the hard part was as my kids got closer to when they were supposed to be able to move to forward facing was trying to keep them in a "backward" facing because it became less comfortable (and partly because they knew that if they sat the other way they could see mommy / daddy, etc).

Both of my kids were/are tall for their age and it pains me putting my 1.5 year old in a backwards seat when his knees are 3-4 inches from his chest. This is a weekly argument my wife and I have. "He's uncomfortable! Look at how he's sitting!" "I don't care, the recommendation is rear-facing until 24 months, so that's what we're going to do!"

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 07:50 AM)
Both of my kids were/are tall for their age and it pains me putting my 1.5 year old in a backwards seat when his knees are 3-4 inches from his chest. This is a weekly argument my wife and I have. "He's uncomfortable! Look at how he's sitting!" "I don't care, the recommendation is rear-facing until 24 months, so that's what we're going to do!"

Yeah, same thing happened here.

One day, I just switched it to front-facing. I think it was when he was about 2 months shy of two years old.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 08:24 AM)
Yeah, same thing happened here.

One day, I just switched it to front-facing. I think it was when he was about 2 months shy of two years old.

Me too. My kids are tall as f*** so when their legs hit the seat I flip em. I tend to buy pretty good car seats so I believe I am protected there.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:50 AM)

I think it depends more on height and weight than age. If your kid is tall enough or heavy enough to be front-facing at 1.5 years old, then switch it around.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)
Was this the sole study the recommendation has been based on?

e: and is this for all age ranges or more specifically for 1-2 year olds?

Yes! Sorry this is for keeping them rear facing after age 1, which is when they typically move from bassinet style to the more traditional carseat.

http://retractionwatch.com/2017/12/15/savi...safety-results/