White Privilege?

greg775

So, Missouri's football team was refusing to practice or play this week's game unless the president resigned or was fired. The president of the school did not react very forcibly to a couple issues of racism on campus (some moron put a swastika in human dung on the wall of a dorm with minorities in it) and five dumbasses yelled the n word at the student body president as they drove by in a truck.

So the football team and a group of student protesters won today when the president resigned as did the chancellor. Both are gone in one fell swoop. Football team is back on the field, but the protesters didn't have a good day.

A communications prof called for "muscle" to get a student reporter to move off public property, which was caught on tape. The student reporters were trying to take photos of the protesters who were on public property. Free speech and all that.The greek system leader was also making a fool of herself telling the MU student media to turn off their cameras and cease and desist doing their jobs (this at a renowned Journalism school).

Also, the protesters when they got what they wanted issued some NEW demands which to me seemed a bit tacky and out of line today. I mean the moment the school officials meet their demands, new demands?? Kind of bullyish IMO.

My question to you is ... aren't the protesters at Mizzou on a slippery slope. The school has 7 percent blacks and 93 percent whites I believe I read. At what point does the 93 percent tire of their school being portrayed as unbelievably racist when frankly there haven't been that many incidents. At what point do the protesters calm down a bit and work with the school officials on racism at Mizzou rather than appear to be a bit bully-ish. Or do you think what they're doing is fine?

Finally what is your overall opinion of what's going on at Mizzou? Will more sports teams boycott practices and games at other schools?

p.s.: I will say this. Most college students are proud of the university they decide to attend. I thought it kind of sad that the Missourian student newspaper ran an article with 15 pictures of individual students all commenting on "how racism has affected me at Missouri." I mean is the University of Missouri a fricking hellhole racist pit of scum?? How can they attract any future students when the student body is completely turning on its own school, saying basically it's a miserable place to be for any minority??? Tough times at Mizzu.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/flor...109-column.html

Edited by greg775

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:46 AM)
p.s.: I will say this. Most college students are proud of the university they decide to attend. I thought it kind of sad that the Missourian student newspaper ran an article with 15 pictures of individual students all commenting on "how racism has affected me at Missouri." I mean is the University of Missouri a fricking hellhole racist pit of scum?? How can they attract any future students when the student body is completely turning on its own school, saying basically it's a miserable place to be for any minority??? Tough times at Mizzu.

http://mashable.com/2015/11/09/mizzou-camp...k/#qBd3NFOXHGqF

She worked at the paper to me. I think it's important that many of the students who are even talking about these experiences will in general terms probably love their experience, school and people they met.

The racism at missouri was probably not very different from many other campuses (see Yale where similar stuff is happening), but these smaller incidents add up, or another group will come in asking why this is still happening.

If you were to ask me, I would say that Columbia is a very progressive, warm and welcoming place. But these incidents made me look back and think of some awful incidents of black friends or classmates that i could obviously largely forget about, but were probably very affecting of them.

But going to Juana's article, the idea that you could be proud and love something that doesn't always quite accept you sounds like the American experience for many.

Yeah there's a lot going on here. I think the group is going off the rails. I don't feel like compiling all of my responses.

I hope they fire the comm professor. For the record, the comms school is NOT in the J School. Tim Tai did well in that situation, because it would be funny if it weren't so serious the idea of someone going to the most public place on campus and then demanding that no body look at them!

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
http://mashable.com/2015/11/09/mizzou-camp...k/#qBd3NFOXHGqF

She worked at the paper to me. I think it's important that many of the students who are even talking about these experiences will in general terms probably love their experience, school and people they met.

The racism at missouri was probably not very different from many other campuses (see Yale where similar stuff is happening), but these smaller incidents add up, or another group will come in asking why this is still happening.

If you were to ask me, I would say that Columbia is a very progressive, warm and welcoming place. But these incidents made me look back and think of some awful incidents of black friends or classmates that i could obviously largely forget about, but were probably very affecting of them.

But going to Juana's article, the idea that you could be proud and love something that doesn't always quite accept you sounds like the American experience for many.

Nice post. I'll tell you one thing. It makes me really sad a person has to go through this kind of stuff in college of all places. Some people are really raised to be pigs/assholes. It does make Mizzou seem to be a true hellhole. Kim English's comments are scary bad as well. Very sad as I mistakenly though this kind of s*** was very rare.

I know growing up on the southside there were a ton of racists. When I went to Brother Rice there were a few black athletes and I know the white guys respected them. Never heard any slurs. In college I can honestly say I never heard a racial slur in four years in my fraternity and never heard of any problems on campus. Of course no blacks were in my frat and none went through rush. Literally none. MU must really have some pricks running around that campus. If its just a handful of people they are really giving their college and city a very bad name.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
Nice post. I'll tell you one thing. It makes me really sad a person has to go through this kind of stuff in college of all places. Some people are really raised to be pigs/assholes. It does make Mizzou seem to be a true hellhole. Kim English's comments are scary bad as well. Very sad as I mistakenly though this kind of s*** was very rare.

I know growing up on the southside there were a ton of racists. When I went to Brother Rice there were a few black athletes and I know the white guys respected them. Never heard any slurs. In college I can honestly say I never heard a racial slur in four years in my fraternity and never heard of any problems on campus. Of course no blacks were in my frat and none went through rush. Literally none. MU must really have some pricks running around that campus. If its just a handful of people they are really giving their college and city a very bad name.

The Greek system at most schools, especially big state schools, is usually segregated anyway. There's a Greek system, and a Black Greek system. It's pretty arcane, but it has always been that way.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
The Greek system at most schools, especially big state schools, is usually segregated anyway. There's a Greek system, and a Black Greek system. It's pretty arcane, but it has always been that way.

I've always been in favor of fraternities and sororities. But it is pretty scary to think we have to have separate Greek systems depending on the color of your skin. Wow.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
Peaceful protest with no violence. It's possible!

Yeah, it seems only the older adults were acting up at Missouri in that video where the two mean ladies were screaming at the Missouri student media.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)

And yet you'll never find a bigger Mizzou booster than Kim English.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:00 PM)
And yet you'll never find a bigger Mizzou booster than Kim English.

Today he's posting stuff about how unless you were a famous athlete at MU you had big time problems. That's an indictment of his school.

On a good note, at least that professor Click is going to be stripped of her duties in the journalism school. She isn't a prof in the J School but has some sort of role there.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:23 AM)
Since it came out this am that Butler's family is unfathomably rich, do you think he'll write a handwritten letter acknowledging his privilege?

Maybe I'm missing some underlying story here but... what difference does it make that Butler's family is rich?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
Maybe I'm missing some underlying story here but... what difference does it make that Butler's family is rich?

He demanded the president acknowledge his privilege. Do you think you don't have privilege by having that kind of money? He should acknowledge it himself then.

Also on this story, last night was apparently pretty terrifying, as threats to students on "yikyak" caused a lockdown and a bunch of crazy rumors to fly around.

I'd never heard of yikyak, but basically its an anonymous social service, which seems like a terrible idea. They found the kid who posted it today saying he was going to kill a bunch of black students.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
I'm not sure Butler needs to acknowledge his white privilege because he's rich, which is what he asked of the President.

If he wants leaders to acknowledge publicly announce their privilege, then Butler, as a leader himself coming from generational wealth, should do the same.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Funny thing about privilege in wealthy black families, is its kind of equal to being in the 30k wealth level of white americans (pg 97)

http://www.patricksharkey.net/images/pdf/S...ey_AJS_2014.pdf

I don't see a page 97. I see stuff about black families and 100k and neighborhoods they lived in. That's not applicable if that's where you're going. The Butlers are richer than even most 1%ers.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Since it came out this am that Butler's family is unfathomably rich, do you think he'll write a handwritten letter acknowledging his privilege?

Well, heard some horrifying facts about Butler today. One of our talk shows devoted the whole show to how Missouri got played for fools. This Butler guy is not only rich, but he's a renowned activist. He goes around trying to stir up s*** and he succeeded at Mizzou. The football team thought a student was dying on a hunger strike. It turned out to be activist Butler, 26 year old spoiled rich kid Butler. WOW. MU's president and chancellor quit over some punk stirring up trouble because that's what he does.

All anybody had to do was google Butler's name and MU would still have a president/chancellor. WOW.