Yu Darvish to Cubs

wrathofhahn

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 04:18 PM)
Amazing how much time people waste on something they claim they are unhappy with.

Yarvish, Quintana, these are not true aces. What did Darvish pitch for in the World Series? 2 outs? 2 innings? And he gets a $100 million contract. lol I love watching the Cubs falter. The only reason the Cubs won the chip is because Arrieta, Schwarber, and Rizzo played out their proverbial backsides. The real world has shown Schwarber sucks and the Cubs still don't have enough pitching to win. Even with this new ridiculously overpriced addition. I can't wait to see how Darvish, a fly out pitcher, fairs this Summer on the rotten North Side. Waveland Avenue is going to see a lot of action, and a lot of long faces from Cub fans. It is a weak free agent market and the Cubs just paid Darvish like he was Roger Clemens. I'm all for it.

Edited by JPR

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 06:16 PM)
I dunno, if it was me I would rather hand that money to Arrietta

Arrietta though lost a bunch off his fastball last year. Same thing happened to shields. Doubt he performs at a high level for more then a cpl of years unless he regains lost vo

Darvish still throws the heat even if he gets too careful as Japanese pitchers do still 6 years is crazy. Maybe the cubs are looking at it more like a 4/120 million dollar deal stretched for tax purposes I dunno

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 12:23 AM)
Arrietta though lost a bunch off his fastball last year. Same thing happened to shields. Doubt he performs at a high level for more then a cpl of years unless he regains lost vo

Darvish still throws the heat even if he gets too careful as Japanese pitchers do

Yu has a ton more mileage on his arm and as I mentioned a while ago, the list of Japanese pitchers who perform well in their 30s is very small.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 06:27 PM)
Yu has a ton more mileage on his arm and as I mentioned a while ago, the list of Japanese pitchers who perform well in their 30s is very small.

Agreed clearly there is a very remote chance of him playing all six year or even five years.

But if you look at it through the confines of 4/120 million stretched to 6 years for cap/tax purposes it makes more sense. Basically thats what top FA pitchers make now (30 million) though in my opinion he entered FA well below Price.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 05:33 PM)
Agreed clearly there is a very remote chance of him playing all six year or even five years.

But if you look at it through the confines of 4/120 million stretched to 6 years for cap/tax purposes it makes more sense. Basically thats what top FA pitchers make now (30 million) though in my opinion he entered FA well below Price.

If they win another WS in the next couple of years would it be worth it?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 06:26 PM)
If they win another WS in the next couple of years would it be worth it?

Couple means 2, there is absolutely nothing but a minimal chance the Cubs win it. They have holes in the pen still. The playoffs, and 2005, prove that pitching wins and I'm not seeing any Mark Buehrle's on the Cubs' staff. They're not catching lightning in a bottle, again, anytime soon. In my opinion, if the Cubs don't win the NL crown this season then stick a fork in them. They'll just continue to score 10 runs a game while giving up 11.

Losing Wade Davis has more impact on that squad than gaining a 33 year old SP. Davis is lights out as a closer while Darvish could not even succeed as a #3 starting pitcher in LA.

Edited by JPR

QUOTE (JPR @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 06:43 PM)
Couple means 2, there is absolutely nothing but a minimal chance the Cubs win it. They have holes in the pen still. The playoffs, and 2005, prove that pitching wins and I'm not seeing any Mark Buehrle's on the Cubs' staff. They're not catching lightning in a bottle, again, anytime soon. In my opinion, if the Cubs don't win the NL crown this season then stick a fork in them. They'll just continue to score 10 runs a game while giving up 11.

Losing Wade Davis has more impact on that squad than gaining a 33 year old SP. Davis is lights out as a closer while Darvish could even succeed as a #3 starting pitcher in LA.

The Cubs are a very good team and signing Yu definitely makes them better. In the NL they're a top 3 team right now, being ignorant to them being good is a bold stance.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 06:53 PM)
Darvish has a career postseason ERA of 5.81

Exactly. Just because the Cubs are giving up elite prospects (Eloy Jimenez) and shelling out $100 million contracts for starting pitchers doesn't mean that they are worth it. Speaking of elite prospects, I'll argue (I was right about Giolito before he debuted check my post history) that Cease is exactly the type of pitcher the Cubs need right now and not a small minded over the hill pitcher who can't perform when the lights are shining their brightest. Cubs are not going anywhere and it'll be fun to watch. Their squad will be falling apart when the south side starts rising again. No club in baseball has more under 25 talent than the Chicago White Sox.

Edited by JPR

The lovable losers played in a very mediocre division last year and they still had to sweat it out down the stretch. I love the moves the Brewers have made this offseason. Their outfield is filthy talented and you know the St. Louis Cardinals will bounce back.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 03:48 PM)
I hear they are taking applications. You should apply.

Bazinga! Because Lester/Heyward/Darvish accounting for 80M+ per year is something to behold and admire.

Like Heyward, cubs fans will come to regret this contract soon enough.