David Price Reports are Surgery NOT needed..

NCsoxfan

This is all speculation right now, but apparently David Price's elbow is hurting badly and he's getting multiple opinions including one from James Andrews at the NFL combine. If he has to have TJ surgery, do you think they'd be interested in trading for Q?

"Price has been scratched from his scheduled Grapefruit League debut on Sunday and Red Sox manager John Farrell admitted that there is real concern among the club's medical staff. The high-priced left-hander will get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews at the NFL Combine before anything is announced officially. None of this sounds good."

Edited by NCsoxfan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
Best case scenario for Sox is that teams that are realistically in contention for Q think of the slight possibility that the Sawks get involved and it pressures them to ante up.

Or teams who thought maybe the Red Sox would runaway with the division are now possibly thinking they could slip to a possible wild card spot and can look to improve their own chances of competing with them.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
Or teams who thought maybe the Red Sox would runaway with the division are now possibly thinking they could slip to a possible wild card spot and can look to improve their own chances of competing with them.

Great point. Subtracting Price from Boston and adding Q to the Yanks could certainly close the gap between the two teams.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
I'm not sure they Yankees will compromise their youth movement.

Maybe not right now, but who knows come June or July if they're in the thick of the race. Anything that makes more teams competive and ultimately results in more buyers is good news for us.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
Red Sox saying they don't have the results from an MRI that happened the other day is a tell tale sign something is wrong here. I'll guess slight tear of the UCL.

MRI results are often inconclusive, especially with acute inflammation in the area. That's why they say things like this. It's much more accurate to have Andrews do the clinical tests. He'll know when he tests it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
Is this possible.

If he became available soon, could Boston sign Luis Robert to a huge deal then trade him as part of a package to the White Sox?

I don't think it is possible. In June or July, I think it is. But they wouldn't be able to sign him now just to trade him a day later.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
If Boston needs replacement for Price, best FA available could be Doug Fister. Industry speculation: Will BOS use Devers to pursue Quintana?

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/837360517106794496

Benintendi and Devers. Do they have the system to get a Q deal done with Devers as the headliner? I don't think they do without including Benintendi.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
He'll know what? If it's something pretty serious wouldn't the MRI show it?

The MRI will most likely show if there is a complete or near complete tear which most aren't. Andrews will do the clinical tests and he'll know how loose the joint actually is by the amount of laxity and function of the ligaments. He'll rely more on what he feels than what he sees on the MRI. The MRI is just an attempt to confirm what he finds.

I just dont see the Red Sox to be willing to meet Quintana's price even without Price. They're 100% not trading Benintendi as that wouldn't make any sense for them. Devers would obviously have to headline and I just dont know if they have the prospects outside of that to get a deal done. They may be used to drive up other team's prices.