KW "We're a lot closer than the record indicates"

southsider2k5

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of this seems like speculation by Gregor, but there are some interesting possibilities in there. The Sox typically will sign relievers, even if they're overpriced to an extent, and trade for starters to minimize long-term risk. David Robertson is going to be expensive and the Yankees might even get crafty and slap him with a QO, but he's the most attractive free agent option to me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
Much of this seems like speculation by Gregor, but there are some interesting possibilities in there. The Sox typically will sign relievers, even if they're overpriced to an extent, and trade for starters to minimize long-term risk. David Robertson is going to be expensive and the Yankees might even get crafty and slap him with a QO, but he's the most attractive free agent option to me.

Yeah, I don't care what the writer said, I was talking more about Kenny's quote. That is the only thing that matters out of the article.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Yeah, I don't care what the writer said, I was talking more about Kenny's quote. That is the only thing that matters out of the article.

I do think they'll see two relievers, a right handed starter, and a left handed hitter at the bare bones minimum, and I don't think Viciedo is going to be there either. 3B could be a possibility if they're interested in bringing in someone very good defensively - meaning Headley - but I see that as more of a luxury and a risk than I do an actual necessary move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
I do think they'll see two relievers, a right handed starter, and a left handed hitter at the bare bones minimum, and I don't think Viciedo is going to be there either. 3B could be a possibility if they're interested in bringing in someone very good defensively - meaning Headley - but I see that as more of a luxury and a risk than I do an actual necessary move.

I said it before the trading started, and will say it again. Dayan Viciedo will not be a White Sox next year.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
You have to take the survey.

Thank you.

Regarding the bullpen, I'd really want Houston Street, but I don't see that happening. I'd be interested in Robertson if he doesn't get a QO. I think Wade Davis should get a look.

Right handed starter, I'd love to get Shields, but Edison Volquez has my eye. I've always liked him and his stuff is nasty.

DH/LF, I think this comes through trade. I do not want V-Mart. My guys to look at are Dickerson, Bruce and Alvarez.

Catcher, Tyler Flowers. I think he earned it this year.

3B, I love Conor, give him another season and I still have hope for Matt Davidson. If they were to sign someone, maybe Headley?

Huston Street seems to be the type of pitcher this front office is moving away from. Bit more finesse, throws a lot of fly balls, diminishing velocity.

I think if Robertson gets to free agency without a QO, the Sox will make a major push for him. There's also a possiblity that, if he does, the Sox still go after him and then go after another guy who received a QO. It seems weird to think that - signing 2 QO guys gives up 2 draft picks - but then it's essentially a 2nd and a 3rd for those two guys, which really helps even the loss of those draft picks out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Huston Street seems to be the type of pitcher this front office is moving away from. Bit more finesse, throws a lot of fly balls, diminishing velocity.

I think if Robertson gets to free agency without a QO, the Sox will make a major push for him. There's also a possiblity that, if he does, the Sox still go after him and then go after another guy who received a QO. It seems weird to think that - signing 2 QO guys gives up 2 draft picks - but then it's essentially a 2nd and a 3rd for those two guys, which really helps even the loss of those draft picks out.

I don't quite understand that last sentence....compensates for?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)
I think he's saying that signing two free agents with gualifying offers is worth the Sox losing their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Well yeah nobody's going to care about those draft picks if the sox are in fourth or fifth the next two seasons. Hahn would be gone. I should say barring a major injury to sale Quintana abreu.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
Sounds like nobody is high on gillaspie after last two months

Hopefully maybe another team is.

I'm game for trading him, but not to put Semien there. Headley or Sandoval though? Yes please.

Headley, even if he doesn't revert back to his old self, still offers a GG at 3B.

Sandoval too expensive and risky.

I think we'll look at Alvarez (dh to start but could be moved back to third if they can fix his throwing issues)...headley would be okay but that makes viciedo or Gillaspie the dh...or Conor and semien.

Outfield will be Rasmus or Dominic brown. Would prefer Rasmus but perhaps will be too expensive...simply because of his improving the defense in the outfield at a corner spot.

Then someone like volquez with upside but risk mitigated by cooper...two relievers maybe Soria and any lefty reliever not named miller.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)

I think we'll look at Alvarez (dh to start but could be moved back to third if they can fix his throwing issues)...headley would be okay but that makes viciedo or Gillaspie the dh...or Conor and semien.

Outfield will be Rasmus or Dominic brown. Would prefer Rasmus but perhaps will be too expensive...simply because of his improving the defense in the outfield at a corner spot.

Then someone like volquez with upside but risk mitigated by cooper...two relievers maybe Soria and any lefty reliever not named miller.

You absolutely, positively, cannot trade for Alvarez with that even on your mind. Absolutely not. No no no no no no no.

He's got one of those major mental blocks right now. Those have ruined people's careers before. He's got some ability to cover things as 1b to potentially save his career, but there's no amount of practice, no tricks, no time with the trainer that's going to fix it. You can't even have him display that he's over it in practice because it's not a game.

If you're trading for him its because you are wiling to put him at DH/1b. You may well never even try him at 3b once.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
I said it before the trading started, and will say it again. Dayan Viciedo will not be a White Sox next year.

hey I am with you on this. I would greatly love the idea of no DV. now for the real question

are you saying that a trade may happen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)

I really don't think there will be such a thing as "too expensive" this offseason. Payroll is so miniscule that I can certainly see at least 1 "high priced" player brought in. Whether that be Sandoval, VMart, perhaps a SP, a few "top flight" RP, or taking on a salary in a trade, the money is there IMO.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
I really don't think there will be such a thing as "too expensive" this offseason. Payroll is so miniscule that I can certainly see at least 1 "high priced" player brought in. Whether that be Sandoval, VMart, perhaps a SP, a few "top flight" RP, or taking on a salary in a trade, the money is there IMO.

I just don't think we will see another $75-100 million salary added.

That money will be allocated across 4-5 players.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
You absolutely, positively, cannot trade for Alvarez with that even on your mind. Absolutely not. No no no no no no no.

He's got one of those major mental blocks right now. Those have ruined people's careers before. He's got some ability to cover things as 1b to potentially save his career, but there's no amount of practice, no tricks, no time with the trainer that's going to fix it. You can't even have him display that he's over it in practice because it's not a game.

If you're trading for him its because you are wiling to put him at DH/1b. You may well never even try him at 3b once.

Agreed.

I would be very interested to see the intersection of people who HAAAATED Adam Dunn but would want to get Pedro Alvarez on the team because I bet there are some.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
I just don't think we will see another $75-100 million salary added.

Depends on the years.

I am of the belief that the payroll will be over 100M within the next 2 years, perhaps even next year. Right now we are looking at a payroll in the 50-60 range post arb, so there's certainly a lot of room to add to get that payroll up around 100M.

It may not happen this year because they won't spend just to spend, but for the right player I think they're gonna be willing to spend.