Sox Potentially for Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
Well, to continue on, I think the last thread ended on everyone agreeing that my take on the salary cap was the best and then I was appointed by Kyyle as best poster.

re: salary caps, this article has a pretty good summation of the research into salary caps and competitiveness that had been done to date. Salary caps don't end up helping competitiveness, but good revenue sharing models do.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/no-baseb...d-a-salary-cap/

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Feel free to discuss certain rumors about the club potentially being for sale (albeit, these rumors appear to be largely unsubstantiated).

Well, seeing as they just agreed to new naming rights for the stadium until the late 2020s, I don't think they are going anywhere for a while. If anything, I think new ownership will take over in Chicago.

I don't think the White Sox are going anywhere outside of the Chicagoland area. I would think the fans of the Cleveland Indians and the Tampa Bay Rays have much more to worry about than White Sox fans do. Both of those teams are bringing in alot less revenue than what the White Sox are. I don't know when the leases for the stadiums are up for renewal in Cleveland and St. Pete but it should be interesting to see what happens to those 2 franchises when that happens.

Edited by WBWSF

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
I don't think the White Sox are going anywhere outside of the Chicagoland area. I would think the fans of the Cleveland Indians and the Tampa Bay Rays have much more to worry about than White Sox fans do. Both of those teams are bringing in alot less revenue than what the White Sox are. I don't know when the leases for the stadiums are up for renewal in Cleveland and St. Pete but it should be interesting to see what happens to those 2 franchises when that happens.

The Rays Tropicana lease expires in 2027, and the Indians Progressive lease in 2023

QUOTE (captain54 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
The Rays Tropicana lease expires in 2027, and the Indians Progressive lease in 2023

Sox expires in 2029 or 2030. One interesting thing about the new agreement is the Sox foregoing the upgrade clause the last 3 years. The state says it saves $25 million which is great. But why would the Sox agree to this? Is it because they figure on a new park hn and upgrades to structures facing the wrecking ball usually don't occur?

I don't think the team will move. I do think they think they are done at the current park when the lease expires. Probably a good time for JR or his heirs to sell at that point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
Sox expires in 2029 or 2030. One interesting thing about the new agreement is the Sox foregoing the upgrade clause the last 3 years. The state says it saves $25 million which is great. But why would the Sox agree to this? Is it because they figure on a new park hn and upgrades to structures facing the wrecking ball usually don't occur?

I don't think the team will move. I do think they think they are done at the current park when the lease expires. Probably a good time for JR or his heirs to sell at that point.

No point in upgrading when asking for a new stadium...

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
What potential city is looking for and capable of supporting a pro baseball team? I dont think there would be many candidates therefore the Sox arent going anywhere. At least not outside of Chicago.

Havana