Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

Samardzija has not been good enough. I don't think the Sox pay him unless it's something like 5/$100 and I wouldn't even really want to pay that from what I've seen. I think the 2016 compensation pick is an extremely important thing because of the draft flexibility that it allows. That being said, if the Sox are out of this thing they may look to deal Shark. What are some packages that would be realistic to take instead of the comp pick? Give me some teams and return packages.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
Samardzija has not been good enough. I don't think the Sox pay him unless it's something like 5/$100 and I wouldn't even really want to pay that from what I've seen. I think the 2016 compensation pick is an extremely important thing because of the draft flexibility that it allows. That being said, if the Sox are out of this thing they may look to deal Shark. What are some packages that would be realistic to take instead of the comp pick? Give me some teams and return packages.

Boston for whichever young catcher, Swihart or Vazquez they are willing to give up.

And please take him off the banner!!!

That part of SoxTalk should be reserved for "excellence." For the White Sox, that's Sale and Robertson (the three blown saves are a bit misleading).

Abreu shouldn't even be there if he's going to hit more like Plouffe, Hunter or Dozier than an MVP candidate.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)
The package would have to be better than a first round comp pick. What that is, I don't know.

If he doesn't turn it around, I don't think that package is out there. I think people greatly underestimate the value of draft flexibility with multiple 1st rounders.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
Here's a potential problem. What if Samardzija accepts the qualifying offer?

No chance. He's going to be what 31 years old? He'll at least get like 5 years and 80 million or so even though he's shooting for a lot more $$ than that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
No chance. He's going to be what 31 years old? He'll at least get like 5 years and 80 million or so even though he's shooting for a lot more $$ than that.

I hope you're right but Samardzija is pitching more along the lines of Danks and we all know he is not worth the 15.75M he's getting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
If he doesn't turn it around, I don't think that package is out there. I think people greatly underestimate the value of draft flexibility with multiple 1st rounders.

On the other hand, despite how he's pitched (and other front offices are familiar with how bad our defense has been behind him)...he's one of about 5-6 difference makers on the July trade market.

And almost every team in baseball this season is legitimately in the playoff race, except for Oakland, Philly, maybe the Marlins and Rockies.

Detroit's obviously going to hold onto Price. So who does that leave after Cueto and Hamels? There are 15+ teams looking for pitching and only so much to go around. Maybe the Nationals will trade one of their pitchers, but Samardzija's likely to be one of the top "second tier" pitchers on the market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
That is a best case scenario unless he is awful the entire year. If that is the case, they won't offer anyway.

Just to clarify. That's what I'm basing my question on. If Samardzija continues to pitch as he has, he will not be worth the QO money and could accept the offer which would likely tip 16M. The Sox are already over paying one pitcher close to 16M for a 5ERA. Do the Sox really need two?

There's plenty of time for Samardzija to turn it around but what concerns me is there really are no signs of him turning it around. The only thing he's got going right now is he can chew up some innings.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
He would also cost this team even more runs defensively.

Samardzija was coming off 2 good years.

Ya was just going to say that semien has 19 errors sofar on the season. People complaining about Micah's defense can't imagine the complaining of Semien with his.

Hahn talking about adding to this team scares me. The only adding that should be done at this point is "adding" like the Jake Peavy trade. Trading him is a good idea, and we just need to hope that the market for SP is thin, and that he starts pitching consistently better so that the Sox have leverage for a better offer.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
He would also cost this team even more runs defensively.

Samardzija was coming off 2 good years.

Semien can hit. We could find a place for him.

yea, shark had 2 good years...and we'd only have him for 1.

No idea who come up with the trade, but trading for Shark is Kenny Williams' MO. (as were some of the other moves).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
Marcus is a lousy shortstop but wasn't he an above average second baseman?

I think so. He would be playing 2B if he was still on the team and 2B is a lot easier to play than SS. He would still have some fielding errors but his offense would probably be worth it

So right now, you've got:

Cueto

Hamels

Scott Kazmir (probably)

Samardzija

Aaron Harang

Matt Latos

Jordan Zimmermann or Doug Fister (if the Nationals really want to shake things up, but unlikely)

Hisashi Iwakuma (depending on health and how the Mariners do the next month)

I think he's going to sign a long term deal with the Sox and that it has always been the plan. This rough stretch is only hurting his bargaining power a bit. I don't think the Sox are thinking about giving up on him, nor should they. A top 4 of Sale, Jeff, Rodon, and Quintana is very appealing moving forward. Trading Shark does nothing but create a hole in the rotation.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
I think he's going to sign a long term deal with the Sox and that it has always been the plan. This rough stretch is only hurting his bargaining power a bit. I don't think the Sox are thinking about giving up on him, nor should they. A top 4 of Sale, Jeff, Rodon, and Quintana is very appealing moving forward. Trading Shark does nothing but create a hole in the rotation.

The top 4 is the rotation you have right now. If this team, with that rotation, is below .500 at the All-Star break that is a concern. If you finish the year w that rotation, less limited starts for Rodon down the stretch, that is even more of a concern. It probably means the offense/defense is so bad it overcomes the starting pitching. So then we are back to trading Q or Shark to help overhaul the offense.