Red Sox looking for cost controlled pitchers

GGajewski18

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
Swihart, Cecchini, Rodriguez

Though just the first two would be equally dope.

Everybody wants a catcher but seriously there's nothing there that says future all star to me. Think he'll end up being your typical ML catcher. Cecchini is a rough fielder and doesn't have much pop. Give me Betts and Holt .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)
Everybody wants a catcher but seriously there's nothing there that says future all star to me. Think he'll end up being your typical ML catcher. Cecchini is a rough fielder and doesn't have much pop. Give me Betts and Holt .

You just know an overachieving utility guy from Boston or TB will absolutely tank with us.

Betts is off the table right now, along with Moncada.

Eddie Rodriguez would be another name sure to come up...although some of the bloom is off that flower.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
You just know an overachieving utility guy from Boston or TB will absolutely tank with us.

Betts is off the table right now, along with Moncada.

Eddie Rodriguez would be another name sure to come up...although some of the bloom is off that flower.

Gotta pay to play. Quality doesn't come cheap. Holt's been solid for 2 straight years now and gets on base at a solid clip also plays defense. Remember defense ? With the Sox he'd be a starter .I don't want the overhyped catcher and the powerless butcher at 3rd base. We got that already with Conor and I love me some Conor.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Gordon Wittenmyer was on the Score this morning and said the Cubs were looking for a young starter, under team control for multiple years with a good contact that could start a game 3 in the playoffs. Quintana meets all those critieria and would be an elite #3 starter for them for years to come. I still think they are the best match for us, although I know it's incredibly unlikely the two teams make a deal.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)
Gordon Wittenmyer was on the Score this morning and said the Cubs were looking for a young starter, under team control for multiple years with a good contact that could start a game 3 in the playoffs. Quintana meets all those critieria and would be an elite #3 starter for them for years to come. I still think they are the best match for us, although I know it's incredibly unlikely the two teams make a deal.

The Cubs also crossed my mind and why shouldn't they ? Help each meet each other in the World Series down the line.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)
Swihart, Cecchini, Rodriguez

Though just the first two would be equally dope.

Cecchini is in sharp decline the last 2 years. He has marginal value.

Rodriguez is the type of player they are trying to acquire.

Bradley Jr failed in his ML try - he's a throw in.

Too much premium and too much risk for catchers..can't trade Q for essentially 1 catching prospect. I'd rather 2 top outfielders.

Don't really trust Boston prospects that have already been hyped - some turn out good, but most don't.

Edited by GreenSox

These proposed offers as brutal. Swihart would be fine as 1 of multiple pieces. No thanks to Cecchini, he is basicallly Gillaspie. Holt? Cmon now.

Maybe Swihart, Betts, Bradley Jr. and Devars or Margot. Yeah, steep price, buytif you don't get a haul for Q, you don't trade him. It's that simple.

Ask yourselves this: How many top prospects does it take to find one top line starter, who could be signed to a team friendly contract?

That's what Quintana is. There aren't enough prospects in any one organization to equal his value, because they are all too great of a gamble.

It makes more sense to ask for an established Major Leaguer, who could fill a hole, and provide the much needed offense, for this inept squad.

Oh, and he better be a decent defender. Now, if that player comes with a big contract, then additional prospects could make a trade equitable.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
If Bosox are so concerned with getting "cost-controlled" players, why on earth did they sign their Panda Bear/third baseman to that outlandish contract?

Because they thought they would have a team ready to win right now and were surprised when the pieces didn't fit together. Therefore as of right now their priorities are different than they were in December.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Because they thought they would have a team ready to win right now and were surprised when the pieces didn't fit together. Therefore as of right now their priorities are different than they were in December.

or the fact that maybe they now want to max the profit, now that the core is there. either way, no matter what their thought process is this yr, lets wait until the offseason when all those game changing pitchers will be hitting fa.

Also if they wanted cost-controlled pitchers, why in the world would they sign Porcello to a 100Million deal? I guess you could say it's cost controlled - just a high cost.

Red Sox zig-zagged....that usually ends up in disaster. Sox have done that more than a few times.

I doubt Red Sox want to deal any real prospects. They want cost controlled pitchers in return for some of their veterans and declining prospects like Cecchini and Bradley Jr (he's worth a flyer). I read that even their offers for Hamels when they were still in it consisted of mainly Major League guys.

Buckholz is a good trade piece for them; they have little after that except for the bullpen.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 01:32 AM)
LOL. Might as well ask for Bogaerts while you're at it.

I've been talking about the Sox and BoSox making a trade around Quintana for a month now. Christian Vazques, Deven Marrero, Rafael Devers and Edwin Escobar is my package.

You are usually pretty astute when it comes to other teams' farm systems, however I guess that I don't see what the appeal is, of anyone in that package.

It looks like an undersized catchers, a SS who may never hit better than 9TH, and a lefty, with no impressive track record. I guess Devers is the one guy who could become as valuable as Quintana, one day. But he's 18, so that may take a while.

Do you think that any of them have a realistic chance to ever be as valuable as Quintana is?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
Also if they wanted cost-controlled pitchers, why in the world would they sign Porcello to a 100Million deal? I guess you could say it's cost controlled - just a high cost.

Red Sox zig-zagged....that usually ends up in disaster. Sox have done that more than a few times.

I doubt Red Sox want to deal any real prospects. They want cost controlled pitchers in return for some of their veterans and declining prospects like Cecchini and Bradley Jr (he's worth a flyer). I read that even their offers for Hamels when they were still in it consisted of mainly Major League guys.

Buckholz is a good trade piece for them; they have little after that except for the bullpen.

Boston will always be looking to trade prospects. Once Vazquez comes back they have 3 catchers on their ML roster. Media seems to think Swihart will be the one to go. Cecchini is boxed out w Sandoval but he is having a bad year at AAA. I agree Bradley is worth a flyer as he was tearing up AAA before being recalled.

There is no chance of Swihart being dealt unless it is for a TOR guy and Quintana is not that guy. Thats been the main hold up in a Hamels deal.

I think you could probably get someone like Henry Owens whose stock is down a bit, Marrero or Cecchini, JBJ and then a couple low level lottery ticket guys. I would try to expand the trade to include a swap of Cabrera for Naploli and his contract that will expire at the end of the season.