This team still gives us something to be proud of as fans

Every terrible White Sox season since 2005, the team still gives us something to be proud of as fans... and something to remember.

2007: Buehrle's first no-hitter, Bobby Jenks' scoreless streak, Jim Thome's 500th homer.

2008: Carlos Quentin's MVP-caliber season, Alexei's Grand Slam, The Blackout Game, a playoff run.

2009: Mark Buehrle's perfect game and scoreless streak, Gordon Beckham's ROY-caliber season.

2010: 11-game winning streak, almost kind of pretended to be a contender.

2011: Adios, Ozzie!

2012: Phil Humber's perfect game, surprisingly competitive season until a September swoon.

2013: The road to Rodon!

2014: Jose Abreu's amazing MVP-caliber season.

2015: Chris Sale's record-setting Cy Young season.

What else am I missing?? This is all off of the top of my head. The point being, despite the terrible season results and lack of playoff appearances, the White Sox still give us something to remember as fans - and even in the face of disappointment, give us something as baseball fans.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
You should probably not say Cy Young season until he actually wins it which is probably a longer shot than you imagine. But still a memory to cherish for the string of games he's put together despite the ineptitude of the hitters and defense not getting him W's.

not sure that I would classify Chris Sale as cy young as "long shot." There are some studs out there but what he's doing this season, the streak, cannot and will not be ignored come voting time. Hell, who knows how far this will go...might reach legendary proportions.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
not sure that I would classify Chris Sale as cy young as "long shot." There are some studs out there but what he's doing this season, the streak, cannot and will not be ignored come voting time. Hell, who knows how far this will go...might reach legendary proportions.

Sale's problem is that his April was worse than all of the other contenders, so he needs to offset that clearly (especially when he's pitching for a team at the bottom of the league with no pressure games down the stretch). He needs to be clearly better than everyone else for most of the season to offset that. In June he was, but that pace is ridiculous. If he keeps this up for the next couple months, even if the K-streak is broken, he'll earn it easily.

But, he was in about that position last year - Chris was getting close but Sale could have thrown one or two more great starts and made it clear, esp. by having an ERA come in under the magic 2.0 line, then Sale gave up 5 runs in his 2nd to last start and that probably knocked him out.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)

Not a long shot just what I said a longer shot than you might think. Reasons sited by Balta above me plus given that he's had rest periods in previous years and might get one this year and his games started might be 3 or 4 less than guys with lower ERA's more starts ,playing for contenders , more wins, etc. etc.. As they say to the winners go the spoils . Now if he can sustain the unsustainable surely it will greatly improve his chances and I'm hoping he can. But like all things White Sox my hopes are not often realized.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
wow, I'm not a "jinx" person but can we not do this to Chris Sale...

You clearly are a jinx person if you truly believe someone here is doing something that will effect the outcome of anything Sale does. We're just a few of perhaps thousands of fans talking about Chris Sale and his chances at winning an award.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
You clearly are a jinx person if you truly believe someone here is doing something that will effect the outcome of anything Sale does. We're just a few of perhaps thousands of fans talking about Chris Sale and his chances at winning an award.

Fine, forget that. The absurdity of giving him the Cy Young on July 7th is silly and should be tabled until Sep.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Sale's problem is that his April was worse than all of the other contenders, so he needs to offset that clearly (especially when he's pitching for a team at the bottom of the league with no pressure games down the stretch). He needs to be clearly better than everyone else for most of the season to offset that. In June he was, but that pace is ridiculous. If he keeps this up for the next couple months, even if the K-streak is broken, he'll earn it easily.

But, he was in about that position last year - Chris was getting close but Sale could have thrown one or two more great starts and made it clear, esp. by having an ERA come in under the magic 2.0 line, then Sale gave up 5 runs in his 2nd to last start and that probably knocked him out.

Last year Felix had a decent lead in ERA over Kluber and still didn't win it. I don't think Sale is as far off the other contenders as you make it seem. If he continues to strike the world out then all he needs is to get within 0.40-0.50 or so in ERA and he could win it. He's already the leader in fWAR right now.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
Every terrible White Sox season since 2005, the team still gives us something to be proud of as fans... and something to remember.

2007: Buehrle's first no-hitter, Bobby Jenks' scoreless streak, Jim Thome's 500th homer.

2008: Carlos Quentin's MVP-caliber season, Alexei's Grand Slam, The Blackout Game, a playoff run.

2009: Mark Buehrle's perfect game and scoreless streak, Gordon Beckham's ROY-caliber season.

2010: 11-game winning streak, almost kind of pretended to be a contender.

2011: Adios, Ozzie!

2012: Phil Humber's perfect game, surprisingly competitive season until a September swoon.

2013: The road to Rodon!

2014: Jose Abreu's amazing MVP-caliber season.

2015: Chris Sale's record-setting Cy Young season.

What else am I missing?? This is all off of the top of my head. The point being, despite the terrible season results and lack of playoff appearances, the White Sox still give us something to remember as fans - and even in the face of disappointment, give us something as baseball fans.

Some of these are pretty weak. 2011? That's no great highlight. 2013: The road to Rodon? That's nothing special either. Yes there have been some good moments. A devil's advocate would say in a long long season there will be highlights.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 11:15 PM)
At least they are finally being semi entertaining.

And its fun getting the crowd involved with all of the K Zone section and signs. Works well for King Felix

and they have a blast with it. Nice to see that we DO have something like that that puts a charge in us, and despite what our record was, is, or will be, can't deny that every time Sale is on board, that you want to be at the game or near a TV, and how disappointing it is when you can't be. Was the same last year with Abreu. Couldn't wait to see the guy at bat no matter where I was. Reminded me of the BIG FRANK days.