Hard Work Does Not Equal High Pay

Texsox

Just looking over the 2006 salaries, and this is in a humorous vein, and realizing . . .

Show up the the park, don't bother bringing a glove, limber up a bit, take four or five trips to the plate, every other day hit one over the wall and trot, not run, around the bases, biggest decision, do I take a shower after the game or not? Financial results for Mr. Thome? 14 mil #1 on the team.

Work once a week or so. Play 7 or 8 innings. Don't buy a bat. Have management hire another 6 or 7 guys to finish most projects you start. Financial results? 7 to 12 million and 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7th positions on the White Sox salary list.

So 6 of the top 7 salary positions are one way players, 5 of the seven only play once a week or so. :lolhitting

Now on the other hand, play everyday, lead off, steal bases, cover the field, and anything else they ask of you, Mr. Podsednick, work hard, and you can earn $2 million, good for 15th position on the team.

I'm not criticizing, just having some fun.

Be 6'10" (hard accomplishment) be born with a decent jumpshot and work on it as a youth to fine tune it for an unspectacular career at Villanova. Play a few seasons with the 76ers and the Bucks playing slightly above average but every once in a while have a big game to show that your unlimited potential is still there but make sure not to realize that potential. Hit free agency and convince team that you have amazing potential and that you are pretty tall, thank them for your double digit a year contract, become a worse player than you were before but still show those flashes so maybe the Knicks will be lucky enough to pick you up. Move on to another team that won't put up with your bulls*** so you can spend 4/5 of the season playing XBOX at home while they pay your ridiculous salary, convince the team to release you at the end of the year. Catch on with a contender sho fits your style of no D all O game and score some points in a few playoff games VS the Lakers. Hit free agency, thank another team for your brand new ginormous contract and repeat your same plan you had when you were with the Bucks.

^^^

How to make a s*** load of money in pro sports without ever accomplishing anything while others who work 1000X harder than you will never earn half the money you've accumulated over the course of your career.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 7, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
Be 6'10" (hard accomplishment) be born with a decent jumpshot and work on it as a youth to fine tune it for an unspectacular career at Villanova. Play a few seasons with the 76ers and the Bucks playing slightly above average but every once in a while have a big game to show that your unlimited potential is still there but make sure not to realize that potential. Hit free agency and convince team that you have amazing potential and that you are pretty tall, thank them for your double digit a year contract, become a worse player than you were before but still show those flashes so maybe the Knicks will be lucky enough to pick you up. Move on to another team that won't put up with your bulls*** so you can spend 4/5 of the season playing XBOX at home while they pay your ridiculous salary, convince the team to release you at the end of the year. Catch on with a contender sho fits your style of no D all O game and score some points in a few playoff games VS the Lakers. Hit free agency, thank another team for your brand new ginormous contract and repeat your same plan you had when you were with the Bucks.

^^^

How to make a s*** load of money in pro sports without ever accomplishing anything while others who work 1000X harder than you will never earn half the money you've accumulated over the course of your career.

I thought it was Juwan Howard for a sec but you stumped me.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 7, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
Just looking over the 2006 salaries, and this is in a humorous vein, and realizing . . .

Show up the the park, don't bother bringing a glove, limber up a bit, take four or five trips to the plate, every other day hit one over the wall and trot, not run, around the bases, biggest decision, do I take a shower after the game or not? Financial results for Mr. Thome? 14 mil #1 on the team.

Work once a week or so. Play 7 or 8 innings. Don't buy a bat. Have management hire another 6 or 7 guys to finish most projects you start. Financial results? 7 to 12 million and 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7th positions on the White Sox salary list.

So 6 of the top 7 salary positions are one way players, 5 of the seven only play once a week or so.  :lolhitting

Now on the other hand, play everyday, lead off, steal bases, cover the field, and anything else they ask of you, Mr. Podsednick, work hard, and you can earn $2 million, good for 15th position on the team.

I'm not criticizing, just having some fun.

I think Thome, in terms of MLB salaries, earned his contract due to the numbers he put up in his Cleveland days. But salaries in sports have never been fair. Ask Kevin Brown, Jose Offerman, and Darren Dreifort to name a few on how they were able to rob teams of money in return for sucking bad.

I think Thome, in terms of MLB salaries, earned his contract due to the numbers he put up in his Cleveland days.  But salaries in sports have never been fair.  Ask Kevin Brown, Jose Offerman, and Darren Dreifort to name a few on how they were able to rob teams of money in return for sucking bad.

Don't forget Chan Ho Park and Sammy Sosa :sosasucks