Cumulus Media trying to drop White Sox/Bulls from WLS

Dick Allen

The White Sox and Bulls may be looking for a new radio home. Cumulus Media, which owns WLS, is trying to get out of their contract with the White Sox and Bulls. It will be heard in bankruptcy court on Feb. 1.

The Sox don't get much from radio anyway, so I don't think it will kill future payrolls, but it will be interesting to see where they land.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild. It's been what, two seasons? I have SiriusXM so I never tune into the games on AM anyway--it's only the home feeds that are available on satellite but A) they actually display the inning, score, and outs, which is necessary when you have DJ and Farmer "announcing" a game, and B) I'd almost always rather hear the opposing team's feed than Ed and DJ anyway.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 07:48 AM)
I would hope they land with AM 1000 Chicago since 670 is tied up with the Cubs. I doubt they’d end up with 780 or 720 for a long term partnership given the history with the Cubs on a sister station and with WGN.

The 1000 signal is awful out west of the city. It was bad enough growing up in Oswego, and I think it's probably even worse now that I'm in rural Kane County.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 07:49 AM)
The 1000 signal is awful out west of the city. It was bad enough growing up in Oswego, and I think it's probably even worse now that I'm in rural Kane County.

What about 720, how does that come in? They apparently made a play for the White Sox in 2016 before 890 snagged them. I wish the Sox never left the Score, and I wish they’d be on a sports talk station so they’d actually be talked about instead of just hearing Cubs talk.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 07:49 AM)

Yes. When i lived in Sugar Grove. I had difficulty getting the signal especially on bad weather days.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 07:55 AM)
What about 720, how does that come in? They apparently made a play for the White Sox in 2016 before 890 snagged them. I wish the Sox never left the Score, and I wish they’d be on a sports talk station so they’d actually be talked about instead of just hearing Cubs talk.

Yeah, I think pretty much all the clear channels come in really well. Honestly WTMJ almost definitely comes in better than WMVP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 08:12 AM)
If they are losing money on the radio deal, that isn't a very good sign for the TV deal that comes up next year.

The Bulls don’t have a profitable deal either and Cumulus is just broke. What kind of TV deal are people talking about around here lately?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 08:12 AM)
If they are losing money on the radio deal, that isn't a very good sign for the TV deal that comes up next year.

That's how it goes on the radio. The reason the Cubs aren't on WGN anymore was because WGN was willing to lose some money on their broadcasts as they had been doing for years, just not as much as others.

What they hope for is the people tuning in for the game, tune into other crap on their station.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 08:14 AM)
The Bulls don’t have a profitable deal either and Cumulus is just broke. What kind of TV deal are people talking about around here lately?

One that increases like the ones other markets have been getting. And if the Cubs go off on their own, the package should be more valuable to NBC Sports/WGN.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 09:09 AM)
MLB Media/Bam Tech/Disney are the real winners, compared to the local radio rights deals.

It’s not like the past, when Cards or Royals games were advertising the product/brand across thousands of miles of Heartland.

The owners who received $50 million each for selling Bam Tech are the real winners.