Food, Food and more Food

LDF

oh man i am stuff. my brother had 8 home runn inn pizza shipped in overnite.

we just ate 2 of them..... oh man, i miss the pizza from chi. nothing beats

it. i tried to ship in some deep dish several yrs ago, it is not quite the same

reheated.

with the sausage and cheese you can tell the difference.

now let me make a comparison on something you can relate to.

the pizza down here is tied between pizza hut and pappa johns.

for being the best.

the other local pizza has shrimp, crawfish and even alligator meat

pizza.

now you know how i am suffering.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LDF that reminds me of when I lived in Ann Arbor, home of Dominos' HQ and neighbor to Little Caesars's HQ in Detroit. Talk about crap pizza in that town, there was one place with the owner from Chicago that made a decent but not great deep dish, the rest of the places were chains.

Though I will say, Little Caesars > Dominos (with the new recipes) >>> other chains >> Papa Johns.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
LDF that reminds me of when I lived in Ann Arbor, home of Dominos' HQ and neighbor to Little Caesars's HQ in Detroit. Talk about crap pizza in that town, there was one place with the owner from Chicago that made a decent but not great deep dish, the rest of the places were chains.

Though I will say, Little Caesars > Dominos (with the new recipes) >>> other chains >> Papa Johns.

i have had friends and family come on down and they all complain about the italian sausage

down here. it sucks.... ask tex, he used to live right across the boarder to me. i just

found out.

i moved from chicago to small ~100,000 city in Minnesota about 7 months ago, and let me tell you....the pizza here is just god awful miserable. Ive tried a half dozen places here (the ones the locals say are good) and I just can't do it anymore. I've decided that if I am going to spend 25 bucks on ordered pizza, I'd rather just pay 30 dollars a pizza to have Lou's shipped. I agree, however, that the shipped pizza is not nearly as good (and is significantly smaller than when you get it locally also - they are only 9 inches). The only other somewhat reasonable option is to go retro-college style and get papa johns. And its not even the deep dish that I crave....the local thin crust here is horrendous. What I wouldn't give for a Palermo's, Aureilo's, Vito and Nick's, thin crust Giordano's, etc etc. The sausage people eat here is barely passable (and don't even get me started on the "hamburger" meat people put on ...yuck)

Lets not just stop at Pizza either. Everyone knows Chicago has phenomenal dining all around. I knew moving here I wouldn't have access to all the famous restaurants with great chefs. And to be honest, in Chicago, I found most of those places were often not THAT much better than just the average solid restaurant (and often were not worth the hassle/waits/overall douchieness that accompanied them). But what those famous restaurants in Chicago do.... is drive up the quality of the competition, i.e the average run of the mill restaurant. There are like 3-4 solid, average to slightly above average restaurants here, and thats it. everything else is subpar.

I thought moving to a smaller town, that at least I could find a solid breakfast. That seems like something a small town should be good at....but nope. Not a single one. The "best breakfast in town" has limited options, barely any fresh veggie options, and forget any semblance of any ethnic influence.

/end rant

Edited by daa84

oh i will say this in my rant on food. i love food, good tasting food. my

problem is i have too much taste buds and i taste spices and flavor are

way enhanced. this is a medical problem so i am very picky.

live and growing up in chi..... well i was spoiled with great food. period.

the pizza is the best, and i ate the so call good pizza from NYC and it does

not compare. chi pizza come with pizza sauce and lots of it. the fennel seeds

in the sausage is just right. the bottom line, chi has the best food available,

and i hate it. b/c trying other places idea of food sucks.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
I'm going to New Orleans in a few weeks, I know you can get gator but do you really see snake on menus down there?

not really unless you come in during the snake festival and only in rural

LA. but they do have this Swamp Rat if you are really game. but not in the

fancy dining places.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
LDF, the sausage and cheese may not be the same down there, but you really can do it yourself with the stuff you have down there, and make it better than the local places, I promise.

i am total agreement. here. believe you me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
I don't know if this thread if just about pizza, but I have not found one Rick Bayless recipe yet that wasn't delicious.

Him and Skip are like Arnold and Devito in "Twins". Rick got all of the awesome, Skip got all of the crap left over

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
I don't know if this thread if just about pizza, but I have not found one Rick Bayless recipe yet that wasn't delicious.

it is about great food, and i happy to be a homer of some sorts, so

i will say all great CHI food.

changing the subject.... man in the old park, right behind

3b on the main floor, there use to be some of the greatest

sausage, polish and italian sausage sold at the park.

also on maxwell street, after the game go and pick up some

great polish and pork chop sandwiches.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
it is about great food, and i happy to be a homer of some sorts, so

i will say all great CHI food.

Rick specializes in Mexican food, but he's got two world-class Mexican restaurants in Chicago (Frontera and Topolobampo) and he's had the long-running Mexico: One Plate at a Time that started on WTTW.

I made this garlic sauce (prepared slightly differently but same ingredients) last night over grouper, it was delicious.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Rick specializes in Mexican food, but he's got two world-class Mexican restaurants in Chicago (Frontera and Topolobampo) and he's had the long-running Mexico: One Plate at a Time that started on WTTW.

I made this garlic sauce (prepared slightly differently but same ingredients) last night over grouper, it was delicious.

ahh great mexican food, i use to just on the highway and go in my

old neighborhood in the little village area and eat.

damn LA. the best mexican here is taco bell.