DC Films

Boopa1219

So the DCEU is underway and we're getting at least two movies a year from here on out:

2016: Batman v. Superman & Suicide Squad

2017: Wonder Woman & Justice Leauge (Part 1)

2018: Aquaman & The Flash

2019: Shazam & Justice Leauge (Part 2)

2020: Green Lantern Corps. & Cyborg

Here's a place where people can talk about the movies and what's going on with the DCEU

Just saw BvS last night and I was satisfied as a fan of the lore, as a fan of films and filmmaking.

There is a lot of stuff in the movie but none of it felt rushed or crammed. Everything had a place, every character had a role and everything had room to breathe. How the filmmakers were able to fully establish an universe in one movie (Granted we did get Man of Steel) is impressive. The world building was insane.

The movie is somehow darker than Nolan's trilogy but it was quite funny.

Never a dull moment, not a lot of unneeded fat if any.

Henry Cavill had the best performance of the movie in my opinion. Jesse Eisenberg and Ben Affleck were great, Gal Gadot was a scene stealer and Amy Adams had a lot to do.

One of the best fight scenes I've ever seen, all done in one take no less. The sound was great and the IMAX stuff was awesome.

If I could describe the movie in terms of style it's a combination of TDK Trilogy, Wathmen, and the Empire Strikes Back. With shades of Mad Max and a trippy Terminator beat. There's some supernatural element to it, which I'm sure will be explained later on.

I think it was easily better than both Avengers movies and is up there with the TDK films in terms of quality.

I own and have read a ton of comics regarding these characters and I have no idea where they're going from here. It's exciting. Go see the movie.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
So the DCEU is underway and we're getting at least two movies a year from here on out:

2016: Batman v. Superman & Suicide Squad

2017: Wonder Woman & Justice Leauge (Part 1)

2018: Aquaman & The Flash

2019: Shazam & Justice Leauge (Part 2)

2020: Green Lantern Corps. & Cyborg

Here's a place where people can talk about the movies and what's going on with the DCEU

Just saw BvS last night and I was satisfied as a fan of the lore, as a fan of films and filmmaking.

There is a lot of stuff in the movie but none of it felt rushed or crammed. Everything had a place, every character had a role and everything had room to breathe. How the filmmakers were able to fully establish an universe in one movie (Granted we did get Man of Steel) is impressive. The world building was insane.

The movie is somehow darker than Nolan's trilogy but it was quite funny.

Never a dull moment, not a lot of unneeded fat if any.

Henry Cavill had the best performance of the movie in my opinion. Jesse Eisenberg and Ben Affleck were great, Gal Gadot was a scene stealer and Amy Adams had a lot to do.

One of the best fight scenes I've ever seen, all done in one take no less. The sound was great and the IMAX stuff was awesome.

If I could describe the movie in terms of style it's a combination of TDK Trilogy, Wathmen, and the Empire Strikes Back. With shades of Mad Max and a trippy Terminator beat. There's some supernatural element to it, which I'm sure will be explained later on.

I think it was easily better than both Avengers movies and is up there with the TDK films in terms of quality.

I own and have read a ton of comics regarding these characters and I have no idea where they're going from here. It's exciting. Go see the movie.

Early reviews are pretty much terrible across the board thus far. Not surprised at all given this is a Snyder joint.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
Early reviews are pretty much terrible across the board thus far. Not surprised at all given this is a Snyder joint.

Go see it for yourself.

I like to read reviews after I see a movie, never before.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
29% on RT.

This might be the largest disparity between IMDB rating and RT score EVER.

But more reviews are coming in and I urge you to see it and judge it for yourself.

I loved the movie but I did have a couple complaints regarding the filmmaking, once people see it I'll share them.

JS, I have to say that your above review starting off with you saying you were merely satisfied is a huge red flag for me. The RT and IMDb reviews don't really matter, you have been championing this movie for months and just satisfied is not something that would make me want to go out of my way to see it. The critics seem to be echoing the same thoughts, the movie is distracted and incoherent, explosions and fights are put in place of plot and character development

Sigh...I was hoping someone would create this thread. But clearly the haters are taking over, and by no means do I mean it in a bad way. Lots of folks don't like Snyder. But was hoping for a thread that would be ALL DC talk, not bashing from majority of the users on this site. Kinda like a liberal conservative personal own threads haha.

Hate Snyder or love him, I'm not here to talk about that.

What I am here to talk about is my love for ALL DC and their heroes and villains as a whole. Pretty good to be a DC fan right now with the new slate of movies coming out in the next 5 years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
JS, I have to say that your above review starting off with you saying you were merely satisfied is a huge red flag for me. The RT and IMDb reviews don't really matter, you have been championing this movie for months and just satisfied is not something that would make me want to go out of my way to see it. The critics seem to be echoing the same thoughts, the movie is distracted and incoherent, explosions and fights are put in place of plot and character development

Oh, my bad. I really loved this movie. I didn't mean to undersell it, I was tired of writing the same thing on different sites and blogs. I wrote and talked about it a lot last night, got home at 2am and still haven't slept. I meant that as a very good thing.

I would personally put this up there with the best CBMs of all time. It was everything that I personally hoped it would be and my expectations were succeeded. It's also hard to explain why I love it because everything is a spoiler.

But again, don't read the reviews and watch the movie unbiased.

And please, please see it because I need people to talk to about it because I'm going crazy over here.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 08:59 PM)
If you want to talk about it then make a dedicated thread with a subtitle indicating spoilers beware, like we did with avengers and TDK and also GoT

I'll post it up Thursday morning. If I can't contain myself, I'll do it tomorrow.

I was hoping I was wrong and it would be good but like I've said, they have the wrong guy at the helm. All the criticisms are about his direction.

I have hopes for Suicide Squad because of Ayer.

Even the positive reviews are "meh".

Edited by Brian

I don't mind the bad reviews that say the movie is to "grim" or "gritty". I think those reviewers just want the happy go lucky Disney Marvel movies. I mean this is a Batman movie.

The bad reviews that worry me are the ones that say this movie is a mess and has an incoherent plot. That is what I was afraid of.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
I don't mind the bad reviews that say the movie is to "grim" or "gritty". I think those reviewers just want the happy go lucky Disney Marvel movies. I mean this is a Batman movie.

The bad reviews that worry me are the ones that say this movie is a mess and has an incoherent plot. That is what I was afraid of.

Lmao, and there it is

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
What? That's what they are. I'm not saying they are bad. They just tend to be on the more fluffy funny side.

Sure, fluffy and funny, that's what the Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, The First Avenger were. That's why BvS is getting bad reviews, because people are expecting a Marvel movie and not because of the actual movie they watched.

I haven't read one review that says anything close to comparing to Marvel movies but this is the first knee jerk reaction I read to a critique. Let's keep in mind that the grim and gritty approach took the Nolan trilogy to a average RT 85%, so apparently they weren't looking for fluffy and funny but rather a good movie

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Sure, fluffy and funny, that's what the Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, The First Avenger were. That's why BvS is getting bad reviews, because people are expecting a Marvel movie and not because of the actual movie they watched.

I haven't read one review that says anything close to comparing to Marvel movies but this is the first knee jerk reaction I read to a critique. Let's keep in mind that the grim and gritty approach took the Nolan trilogy to a average RT 85%, so apparently they weren't looking for fluffy and funny but rather a good movie

I've seen a hand full of reviews mention Marvel movies and them being "fun". It's only been a couple. That is why I said those reviews don't really bother me because I know why they are giving it a bad review. Also, I'm not some DC fan boy that won't criticize DC. They have done an awful job at handling these movies. I think Marvel did a brilliant job in the way they released their movies. DC should have just flat out copied that.

There are tons of other bad reviews that actually criticize the plot and that the movie is a mess. Those are the ones I think probably truly reflect why the movie might be pretty bad.

Kind of just reading some of the reviews.

First review I read from a "top critic" on Rotten Tomatoes wished this movie was more like Deadpool. Really. Actually just read a second review that mentioned wishing it was more like Deadpool.

Another review said that the movie was kinda scary and kids shouldn't see it.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
I've seen a hand full of reviews mention Marvel movies and them being "fun". It's only been a couple. That is why I said those reviews don't really bother me because I know why they are giving it a bad review. Also, I'm not some DC fan boy that won't criticize DC. They have done an awful job at handling these movies. I think Marvel did a brilliant job in the way they released their movies. DC should have just flat out copied that.

There are tons of other bad reviews that actually criticize the plot and that the movie is a mess. Those are the ones I think probably truly reflect why the movie might be pretty bad.

Deadpool is not Disney Marvel, that is Fox. Plot and direction are a huge part of the criticisms of the movie though, which was my main worry. And the problem is that Snyder was given the keys to the kingdom, his fingerprints are all over everything going forward.

This universe and these characters are strong and well written in their source material, I want it to succeed and compete

Things I've seen consistently in reviews: Affleck and Irons are good, Gal Gadot ain't bad, Cavill is just there, Luthor is a 1960s Batman villain, the plot structure is a jumbled mess, Doomsday is god awful and the movie is trying too hard to make every scene iconic. IGN dubbed it "competent".

I was expecting BvS to at least be getting a 50% on RT - which is the bench mark I'm wanting before I see it. It'll be interesting if this is the film that causes the superhero bubble to burst.

Let's remember that RT is not the film's grade but the percentage of people who would recommend it others. The closest thing to the film's grade would be the CinemaScore which is a survey of audience members.

This is something that I have never seen before in regards to the difference between IMBD and RT%. Critics have been very mixed but audience members love it and if I'm WB that's all I'm worrying about.

A lot of the reviews that I've read are comparing the film to the Marvel brand and formula rather than critiquing the film, which is totally unfair. DC and Marvel are two totally different things. Marvel has always been the more fun and lighthearted of the two companies and DC, always always been the more serious of the two companies especially since Crisis.

Zack Stentz, who's a screenwriter and producer, he worked on Thor and XMen First Class amongst other things, tweeted last night that he feels like a lot of reviews have been written in advance by people who hate the 'DC Approach' and Zack Snyder. Its funny how in 2008, after the release of The Dark Knight everyone thinks CBMs should be dark, mature and serious, and now in 2016 everyone thinks CBMs should be fun, lighthearted and comical. There's not a correct way for a movie to be, the fact that DC and Marvel films are so different in terms of style and tone is a really good thing for the longevity of the genre. If every was like Marvel or DC, people would get sick of CBMs pretty quickly.

Ive been following movie productions online since after I saw the first Spider Man film. I've never seen so many 'think pieces' judging a movie before it hits theaters. There's definitely a hangover from the reaction of Man of Steel and its ending. It's kinda funny that Man of Steel came out three years ago and people still write about it as if it just came out.

With that being said, it would take a tremendous disaster at the Box Office for Warner Bros. to remove Zack Snyder off Justice Leauge (Part 1 and 2) and the DCEU. Warners had a historically tough year at the BO last year and are more concerned about the numbers at the BO rather than critical reception. If this movie fails at the BO, there could be a major shakeup at the studio. Keep in mind that BvS is the highest selling pre-sale CBM in the history of Fandago and that its opening worldwide on the 25th on like 4,000 screens worldwide. It's projected opening is very strong and it's at 31% first choice amongst the general audience, which is amazing considering that blockbusters like this are usually around 23% first choice rating.

JL starts shooting on April 11th, if the movie fails WB is going to have to move quickly. George Miller is a producer, so that's something to keep an eye on if they remove Zack Snyder, which looks unlikely.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Nobody cares if these movies are lighthearted or dark it's just if they're good or bad. For the most part Marvel movies have been good and DC not so much, not much else to it.

For real. If you took the first four episodes of Daredevil Season 2 and edited them into a film, it'd be dark, gritty and really f***ing good.