Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Ran into Davante Drinkard in Wrigleyville over the weekend, this team is already in midseason form, Go Dawgs!

Ha, I actually ran into Mullins at Sluggers during the 4th of July week. I was leaving and I just said "Hi Bryan Mullins" he was so damn confused.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Ha, I actually ran into Mullins at Sluggers during the 4th of July week. I was leaving and I just said "Hi Bryan Mullins" he was so damn confused.

Can't believe he didnt respond with, "Hey Justin."

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
Practices starting in the next few days.

I'll save you some time. I'm sure we'll hear from every team:

- "X player" is in the best shape of his life

- We're going to get out and run more

- "X player who's not eligible this year" is dominating in practice/scrimmages

I thought this was an interesting read. Andy Glockner on SI ranks the top 20 college basketball programs today.

1. Kansas

2. Kentucky

3. Duke

4. North Carolina

5. Michigan State

6. Louisville

7. Ohio State

8. Syracuse

9. Indiana

10. Arizona

11. Florida

12. UCLA

13. UConn

14. Wisconsin

15. Memphis

16. Texas

17. Georgetown

18. Michigan

19. Illinois

20. Gonzaga

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
I think Michigan State is going to fall from that pretty quick after this year. Their recruiting of late has been awful per their standards.

Yea, last year was an excuse for them since they were going hard for Parker and came close to getting him. But this year they've missed big on their targets so far, and were lucky that Tum Tum kid opened up for them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
Wouldnt bet against Izzo.

Oh he's a great coach... But he's going to be void the talent he's normally always had. He's been unable to keep the talent that normally stays home, home.

The best get he's gotten in 2 years was Tum Tum last week... He lucked out there with Robert Johnson committing to IU the Friday before, essentially eliminating IU from contention.

So doom and gloom because of 2 years?

An Izzo led MSU has never finished under 500 in Big10 play. Until proven otherwise the 2 teams that are the top of the Big 10 are OSU and MSU.

Recruiting stars are great to talk about when your a team that hasnt been very good in a while, but when you have been in the hunt for Big10 championships the last decade you respect Izzo and Matta.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
So doom and gloom because of 2 years?

An Izzo led MSU has never finished under 500 in Big10 play. Until proven otherwise the 2 teams that are the top of the Big 10 are OSU and MSU.

Recruiting stars are great to talk about when your a team that hasnt been very good in a while, but when you have been in the hunt for Big10 championships the last decade you respect Izzo and Matta.

Which is why they are ranked, what 5th on that list? They have tons of respect and lots of talent from great classes a few years ago. That said, Izzo is losing on the recruiting field this year and lost last year. Suddenly the state of Michigan isn't his to pick from, Chicago is always tough to recruit, and OSU is getting a stronghold in Ohio for any of their top talent. The whole recruiting landscape is shifting in a big way with Illinois and UM taking huge strides lately along with IU and OSU recruiting like blue chippers.

My comment was directed at "MSU is going to fall pretty quick".

Basketball recruiting is fun, I can remember back in the day when I was really into it. But a system like MSU isnt just going to fall apart because 2 years Izzo got 3 star players instead of 4/5.

Its just silly because if you went back 3 years he got Gary Harris from Indiana...

And the recruiting landscape has changed numerous times in the last 15 years, what really hasnt is OSU/MSU being teams to beat.

So as I said, I wouldnt bet against Izzo.

I thought this was an interesting read. Andy Glockner on SI ranks the top 20 college basketball programs today.

1. Kansas

2. Kentucky

3. Duke

4. North Carolina

5. Michigan State

6. Louisville

7. Ohio State

8. Syracuse

9. Indiana

10. Arizona

11. Florida

12. UCLA

13. UConn

14. Wisconsin

15. Memphis

16. Texas

17. Georgetown

18. Michigan

19. Illinois

20. Gonzaga

UConn has lost their coach and their conference--they're no longer a Top 20 program.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
UConn has lost their coach and their conference--they're no longer a Top 20 program.

Texas anywhere near the top 25 is a joke too. Literally all they have is money and a big fan base that doesn't care about basketball unless they're final four good. They have a terrible coach and no talent on that roster.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:10 PM)
Since Matta was hired at OSU (2004):

Matta: 5 reg season title, 4 tourney

MSU 3 reg 1 tourney

Wisconsin 1 reg 1 tourney

Purdue 1 reg 1 tourney

ILL 1 reg 1 tourney

Iowa 0 reg 1 tourney

Mich 1 reg 0 tourney

IU 1 reg 0 tourney

NU - lol

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:10 PM)
Since Matta was hired at OSU (2004):

Matta: 5 reg season title, 4 tourney

MSU 3 reg 1 tourney

Wisconsin 1 reg 1 tourney

Purdue 1 reg 1 tourney

ILL 1 reg 1 tourney

Iowa 0 reg 1 tourney

Mich 1 reg 0 tourney

IU 1 reg 0 tourney

JOHN GROCE GIVES NO f***S