2017 Masters/Golf Thread

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we using this as a golf "catch all"?

If so, while I always enjoy Master's Week, next week is our district tournaments. I have the favorite on the girl's side and a top four on the boy's side. Both should advance to our regional tournament. It's interesting plotting strategy with them the past couple weeks. One we are building a plan so she doesn't beat herself, the other we are looking for high percentage gambles to find a couple more birdies. He's going to need to shoot right around even par for the two days to win. 155 or so should allow him to advance.

Coaching is far more stressful than playing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 07:48 AM)
Good for Sergio. So who is the new best player to never win a major? Westwood has the most starts without one, it seems like Fowler is way overdue too.

Rickie in my book, especially after the Player's win.

Our girl's district tournament was yesterday and today. I'm sitting in the clubhouse and my #1 was in 1st place, but probably going to drop to 2nd. She would qualify to advance to the regional tournament no problem. We're sitting these hoping a friend at another school would have a chance to get in a playoff to advance as well. Everything is looking fine when out of nowhere a Freshman shoots a personal best and boom, we're in a playoff for 2nd and 3rd place. Like a scene out of Caddyshack a storm is blowing in. We eventually head to the #1 tee to start a sudden victory playoff. Our opponent blasts a nice hybrid down the middle that ends up on the right side of the fairway. My layer pushes one into some tall grass and trees that line the hole. One of the things I really like about golf is everyone rushes over to look for the ball. Just as we were about to give up a member of the opposing team finds the ball. What sportsmanship. Without a clear shot we had to pitch out to the fairway. The opponent hits to the right side of the green with a tricky 25' putt coming up. My player hits a wedge to about 12 feet. The opponent lags one to about 2 feet. We miss and tap in for the 5 and wait. The girl slides it by on the high side, tied.

Horn blast, lightning, rush to the clubhouse. To be continued tomorrow at a different course. LOL

Boys start at 7:30 tomorrow for their two day event.

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger with 4th back surgery. That should just about put to rest any talk of a serious comeback.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/192027...-alleviate-pain

Say what you will about late 2000's Tiger as a human being, he was certainly fun to watch. I was always amazed at how much better he was mentally than everyone else once he got the lead.

My players won her playoff the following day. She crushed a drive and made a great putt after her opponent made a Seve worthy 100 yeard bump and run to within 20 feet. My top male player also advanced to the regional competition. Next week I'll be out all week coaching. We have a couple of the top teams in the country in our region. It will be very difficult for with of my players to advance to the state meet, but it is possible,

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
Tiger with 4th back surgery. That should just about put to rest any talk of a serious comeback.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/192027...-alleviate-pain

Say what you will about late 2000's Tiger as a human being, he was certainly fun to watch. I was always amazed at how much better he was mentally than everyone else once he got the lead.

He'll never win another PGA Tour event, let alone a major. I think the 30 for 30 on him could be entertaining.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Brian @ May 30, 2017 -> 04:54 AM)
It's kind of sad that so many people enjoy an athletes personal struggles.

I don't know that it's "enjoy" so much as being in shock about it. It's a train wreck. You don't enjoy seeing it, but you're certainly interested and want to pay attention.

He's the biggest fall from grace athlete other than OJ, but he's 100x more popular than OJ. He's probably on the Mount Rushmore of world-wide professional athletes all-time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 30, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Police report said he did a breathalyzer.

http://deadspin.com/arrest-records-describ...dium=socialflow

That just goes to show you how bad reporting is and how false narratives get started. Last night and this morning it was being reported that he had slurred speech (accurate), that the officer smelled a lot of alcohol (not accurate) and that Woods refused a breathalyzer (also not accurate). Most of the coverage was about Woods' statement and how it was BS.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
I don't know that it's "enjoy" so much as being in shock about it. It's a train wreck. You don't enjoy seeing it, but you're certainly interested and want to pay attention.

He's the biggest fall from grace athlete other than OJ, but he's 100x more popular than OJ. He's probably on the Mount Rushmore of world-wide professional athletes all-time.

I didn't mean anyone here. I see it could be taken that way when I quote someone.

I see people on Twitter and FB laughing and making jokes. That's all