HOU vs Aiken

LDF

every since Scott B, the sports agent, came into baseball and the sox lost out on Alex Fernandez and

Bobby Seay, the baseball world was on the players side somewhat. its the old David vs Goliath story with

the baseball org as Goliath.

now let see modern day with Rodon, I am just as happy we got a very good young prospect to help the

sox org, and the sox even went overslot to get him.

now comes hou and their maneuvering which failed miserable, now everyone in baseball sports forum and sports

site is chastising the org for screwing up. many are on Aiken side and rightful so. so let me put it this

way.

Baseball is both a business and a sports and should not be confuse. on the business side, the org has to deal

with advisors/agents and the big bosses created the draft with slot money for signing bonuses. this was to help

curb the ability of the agent somewhat and give what they believe a good bonus on the slot they were drafted.

however, players can sign for more or less. the sox as an example had to go over slot by +/- 15 % to sign him. if

not then the sox would have lost the pick this yr with all the bonus money till next yr.

ok I am with that then why couldn't hou offer 90% of the allotted money and says sign or go back to school, which

they did. so why is hou wrong. taking their stupidity of the injury out of the equation.

you can use any team for this example, but why is the team wrong for using the same tact that sports agents

being for yrs.

Didnt Fernandez blow out his arm shortly after he left the Sox? Seems like Scott B was a blessing in disguise there. And Bobby Seay certainly didnt merit all of the craziness in his career as a reliever

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
every since Scott B, the sports agent, came into baseball and the sox lost out on Alex Fernandez and

Bobby Seay, the baseball world was on the players side somewhat. its the old David vs Goliath story with

now let see modern day with Rodon, I am just as happy we got a very good young prospect to help the

now comes hou and their maneuvering which failed miserable, now everyone in baseball sports forum and sports

site is chastising the org for screwing up. many are on Aiken side and rightful so. so let me put it this

way.

Baseball is both a business and a sports and should not be confuse. on the business side, the org has to deal

with advisors/agents and the big bosses created the draft with slot money for signing bonuses. this was to help

curb the ability of the agent somewhat and give what they believe a good bonus on the slot they were drafted.

however, players can sign for more or less. the sox as an example had to go over slot by +/- 15 % to sign him. if

not then the sox would have lost the pick this yr with all the bonus money till next yr.

ok I am with that then why couldn't hou offer 90% of the allotted money and says sign or go back to school, which

they did. so why is hou wrong. taking their stupidity of the injury out of the equation.

you can use any team for this example, but why is the team wrong for using the same tact that sports agents

being for yrs.

They are wrong because of they're shady dealings with the injury. It's like saying John Wayne Gacy was an OK person other than all those people he killed.

Also, they give power to the players because they have absolutely no leverage upon signing and they work as individual proprietors for their services while the MLB teams are absolutely stacked with cash.

Frankly, I think Boras has been very admirable throughout this process.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
Bottom line, Houston didn't like examination of the player they couldn't examine until after he was drafted. Needs to run more like the NFL Combine.

I agree with this as well. Invite the top 300 or so prospects, run them through some sort of gauntlet (if they so choose). It'd be nice if they did it in the offseason too, but there are so many leagues always going on that these guys can participate in that it gets difficult to address that type of thing. It would be nice if they did it in August or September though.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)

way.

being for yrs.

The Sox didn't lose out on Alex Fernandez. He signed, and spent nearly six years with the club, until he was almost a free agent, and was traded to SF in the White Flag trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
The Sox didn't lose out on Alex Fernandez. He signed, and spent nearly six years with the club, until he was almost a free agent, and was traded to SF in the White Flag trade.

No. He signed with Florida as a free agent and was not a part of that trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)

Alex Fernandez, not Wilson Alvarez.

Alex Fernandez with the sox in 96, marlins 97 and injury 98....

ok, it seem as everyone is focusing on the hou attempt of trickery. lets use a different

player and a different org. the org used only used 90% of the allotted signing bonus and

was playing hardball. the player didn't sign and went back to school.

would the team been blasted or would you blast the team?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Alex Fernandez with the sox in 96, marlins 97 and injury 98....

ok, it seem as everyone is focusing on the hou attempt of trickery. lets use a different

player and a different org. the org used only used 90% of the allotted signing bonus and

was playing hardball. the player didn't sign and went back to school.

would the team been blasted or would you blast the team?

Not agreeing on a contract is not the same thing as what happened here. The team had a mutual agreement with the player of a contract around 6.5 million. The Astros are changing the terms of the contract because of a perceived chance of injury to a non injured ligament.

Not to mention they tried to mitigate that risk by allocating it across three players...which seemed logical, but not when you take into consideration that Aiken and Nix were friends/UCLA commits and advised by the same "agent" in Close, one of the best in the business. There were even rumors that Marshall was going in a package deal to UCLA along with Nix and Aiken and was going back on his earlier LSU commit.

In that situation, Nix and Aiken were always going to be at cross-purposes. Less money to Aiken was what got Nix to $1.5 million, but cost Brady. $6.5-8.0 million to Aiken, and there's no way that the Astros can offer Nix and Marshall, so they would have been forced to sign at slot or under.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
Not agreeing on a contract is not the same thing as what happened here. The team had a mutual agreement with the player of a contract around 6.5 million. The Astros are changing the terms of the contract because of a perceived chance of injury to a non injured ligament.

good points by all, if I may, I like to add another snippet.

Arod, Alex F, Bobby S all had a verbal agreement with the sox by Scott B, Scott B then went to another

team and told them to either beat it or they will sign with the sox. well to hell with the verbal commitment

they signed with the other team.

same thing, a mutual agreement didn't mean anything to Scott B.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
good points by all, if I may, I like to add another snippet.

Arod, Alex F, Bobby S all had a verbal agreement with the sox by Scott B, Scott B then went to another

team and told them to either beat it or they will sign with the sox. well to hell with the verbal commitment

they signed with the other team.

same thing, a mutual agreement didn't mean anything to Scott B.

No, it is not the same thing. The White Sox and ARod, Fernandez, and Seay did not have a mutually agreed upon contract. Boras was trying to find the best deal for his free agents(ARod and Fernandez), and the White Sox and Seay did not agree upon a contract before the deadline after he was drafted and he became a free agent.

I know you don't like Boras, but the above statement is painted with a very broad brush and is not correct

Boras has always been a very good agent who always gets the very most for his clients and absolutely refuses to break the rules. He's an incredible agent who is not friendly to the hometown team.

As a young boy, I hated Boras. As I've grown older, I've come to respect what Boras does for his clients, and in the past few years, I've really grown to admire him.

[in the next few, I will actually begin to morph into Scott Boras, and he and I will run the company "Boras Brothers in Space," where we actually make pizza in space and deliver it internationally. Delivery times are expected to take 1-8 hours, depending upon the position of the earth]

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
Boras has always been a very good agent who always gets the very most for his clients and absolutely refuses to break the rules. He's an incredible agent who is not friendly to the hometown team.

As a young boy, I hated Boras. As I've grown older, I've come to respect what Boras does for his clients, and in the past few years, I've really grown to admire him.

[in the next few, I will actually begin to morph into Scott Boras, and he and I will run the company "Boras Brothers in Space," where we actually make pizza in space and deliver it internationally. Delivery times are expected to take 1-8 hours, depending upon the position of the earth]

Pizza's delivered with 99.999% accuracy

well, I would like to thank those who posted either for or against. many thanks

in closing, what I wanted to point out is, baseball org were always taken advantage by others in in the

sox case, jr was always above board. I wanted to point out, why not, why couldn't the owners play

hardball, they the owners will lose their advantage when they become free agents.

now, what came across with my examples (poor one at that) is I was defending HOU and my dislike for

Scott B. while I do dislike Scott B and the way he does business, I was trying to us him and examples of

what he was behind in the sox dealings as the example.

thanks

I think the compensation pick the next season should be determined by the percentage of slot you ultimately offer. If they offer him 40% slot and he doesn't sign, your compensation isn't the second pick in the draft, but a 3rd rounder. You offer 90% slot, you get the 2nd pick. Something like that. If it's true Houston upped their offer to $5 million with 5 minutes left until the deadline, and were shocked at no response, that's just crazy. Ultimately what they initially agreed to and the 40% slot financially is the price of a slightly better than replacement level player for one season. While it's a lot of money to me and most people, in baseball it's basically nothing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
well, I would like to thank those who posted either for or against. many thanks

in closing, what I wanted to point out is, baseball org were always taken advantage by others in in the

sox case, jr was always above board. I wanted to point out, why not, why couldn't the owners play

hardball, they the owners will lose their advantage when they become free agents.

now, what came across with my examples (poor one at that) is I was defending HOU and my dislike for

Scott B. while I do dislike Scott B and the way he does business, I was trying to us him and examples of

what he was behind in the sox dealings as the example.

thanks

It's kind of like comparing a torts lawyer and a Fortune 500 corporation. Of course, they are often going to be diametrically opposed in their positions. That's what provides the checks and balances, preventing one side or the other from becoming too powerful, along with the MLBPA. To say that the White Sox deserve sympathy for having to deal with Scott Borases of the world, that would be going too far.

The Sox are valued somewhere in the $700-850 million vicinity. Nobody should be crying too much for them.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
I think the compensation pick the next season should be determined by the percentage of slot you ultimately offer.

If they offer him 40% slot and he doesn't sign, your compensation isn't the second pick in the draft, but a 3rd rounder.

You offer 90% slot, you get the 2nd pick. Something like that. If it's true Houston upped their offer to $5 million with 5 minutes left until the deadline, and were shocked at no response, that's just crazy. Ultimately what they initially agreed to and the 40% slot financially is the price of a slightly better than replacement level player for one season. While it's a lot of money to me and most people, in baseball it's basically nothing.

I think HOU upped their offer so as to not loose the pick on their misdealing. again it was covering themselves

just in case they were screwed. question, if they believe they were right, then why up their offer at the last sec.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
I think HOU upped their offer so as to not loose the pick on their misdealing. again it was covering themselves

just in case they were screwed. question, if they believe they were right, then why up their offer at the last sec.

To try and get him to sign and avoid a PR disaster while also retaining the services to their 5th round pick.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
It's kind of like comparing a torts lawyer and a Fortune 500 corporation. Of course, they are often going to be

diametrically opposed in their positions. That's what provides the checks and balances, preventing one side or

the other from becoming too powerful, along with the MLBPA. To say that the White Sox deserve sympathy for

having to deal with Scott Borases of the world, that would be going too far.

The Sox are valued somewhere in the $700-850 million vicinity. Nobody should be crying too much for them.

sorry again but this time from my lousy writing skills. I was using Scott B and his dealings with the Sox as an example,

which later seems as I was dragging Scott B thru the mud.

I wanted to somewhat defend the ball clubs right to play hardball with these advisor/agents as they, the agents

have played hard ball with the ball clubs. what HOU did was totally wrong and esp in their attempt to play the rules.