1000 more people shot in Chicago vs same time last year

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Early returns on the increased gun control paying off. Amazing that the criminals haven't been stopped by making more laws for them to break. I totally thought the increase in laws would have made them second guess being a criminal.

???

You do realize that the Chicago handgun law was actually overturned in 2010 by the Supreme Court (McDonald v. Chicago) and more recently laws with respect to concealed carry have been struck down (Moore v Madigan).

So was your first statement sarcasm? Because prior to 2010 Chicago's gun laws were far more restrictive (complete ban on handguns). It was only recently that the Supreme Court and Appeals court overturned multiple Chicago laws. In fact, Illinois was the last state to allow concealed carry.

So shouldnt gun crimes be going down? Now Illinois has CC, people in Chicago can carry hand guns,

Color me confused.

It's a helpless feeling in the city. I can't believe how long it took mayor to respond. I find myself hoping the extra police will help, but unconvinced.

U of Chicago crime lab released in June their study that Youth Guidance's Becoming a Man program was effective in reducing crime.

https://www.youth-guidance.org/

I've been donating there but have not volunteered. I've become a mentor for a school in Auburn Gresham.

Really wish if it really does impact that Chicago could fix the lead issues.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
It's a helpless feeling in the city. I can't believe how long it took mayor to respond. I find myself hoping the extra police will help, but unconvinced.

U of Chicago crime lab released in June their study that Youth Guidance's Becoming a Man program was effective in reducing crime.

https://www.youth-guidance.org/

I've been donating there but have not volunteered. I've become a mentor for a school in Auburn Gresham.

Really wish if it really does impact that Chicago could fix the lead issues.

That appears to be a great program and in my opinion we need more programs just like that to begin to fix the cities gang violence issues. There has to be an alternative for Chicago's youth otherwise they are going to make a career out of gang life because its all they have strive towards. If a young man has no good influences in his life that care about him or can show him a good example of how to succeed all he is going to see is how to succeed in these streets. Some will still choose gang life but we need to at least make it a choice for these young men. There is no choice for many right now.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
If guns were more readily available in Chicago, would we see a drop in violence or would it explode?

I tend to think the latter, but I'm liberal when it comes to gun control. Thoughts?

I think that it's easy enough to get a gun in this country that I sincerely doubt it would make a difference.

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
The violence issues in Chicago are all traced back to poverty, lack of opportunity, and its continuous cycle. Not the availability of guns.

On the other hand, we aren't only city with poverty or lack of opportunity and our rates have been much higher than national average. And after 20 years of decline it suddenly spiked up.

Chicago isn't going to be able to eradicate poverty, but it should be able to tackle violence again.

I also want to say how great it is of Whole Foods and Marianos for opening up stores in Englewood recently. Corporations have more ability to help start up a local economy there than relying on small mom and pop stores in such an economically depressed area with high violence. The pictures from the first day of that store opening the trib ran were heartwarming.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
If guns were more readily available in Chicago, would we see a drop in violence or would it explode?

I tend to think the latter, but I'm liberal when it comes to gun control. Thoughts?

If it were really a case of availability, Chicago wouldn't be such an isolated case in its spike in violence.

Judging from the morale of some of the Chicago cops I know, I would think less policing might have helped the spike in violence as well. With all the recent high-profile police shootings, I wonder if cops are less likely to get involved where they may have in the past.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
On the other hand, we aren't only city with poverty or lack of opportunity and our rates have been much higher than national average. And after 20 years of decline it suddenly spiked up.

Chicago isn't going to be able to eradicate poverty, but it should be able to tackle violence again.

I also want to say how great it is of Whole Foods and Marianos for opening up stores in Englewood recently. Corporations have more ability to help start up a local economy there than relying on small mom and pop stores in such an economically depressed area with high violence. The pictures from the first day of that store opening the trib ran were heartwarming.

Poverty will not ever be eradicated, no. But to give hope to a group that is hopeless may eradicate much of the kill or be killed mind set they feel forced into. Why other cities may not match the level of violence in Chicago I dont know. Typically everywhere you have poverty you have a higher murder rate though. I think Chicago's violence has gained momentum because the bar keeps on being raised in each violent act. If that gang is willing to come up in a park full of kids and start shooting at one of the opposing gang members than the other gang has to be willing to do that to.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
Judging from the morale of some of the Chicago cops I know, I would think less policing might have helped the spike in violence as well. With all the recent high-profile police shootings, I wonder if cops are less likely to get involved where they may have in the past.

This is definitely the case. I am hearing the same thing from my cop friends and family. There is no fear of a criminal getting caught after he/she pulls the trigger.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)

I have no doubt of this.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Why the spike in only a handful of cities, though? Iirc it's really just been Chicago, Baltimore and Houston that have seen shootings go up the last year or two.

That is the million dollar question.

Take the contrast of Indianapolis and Chicago.

Indy has about a million people to Chicago's 3 million. Population isn't the driving factor, as Indy is way bigger than Baltimore, but trails both Houston and Chicago.

The poverty rate in Indy is 14.2%. Chicago is at 13.3% according to last available data.

Gun laws? Uh, no. Remember Chicago blamed Indiana for the availability of guns due to lax laws. Indy exits right in the middle of that. So does Houston. Maryland exists on the Chicago end of gun laws. The have no concealed carry, and they have higher hoops to jump through even for a hand gun.

What is the difference? I have no idea.

So what is the cause that exists in Chicago, versus not in Indianapolis?

What you see on the Southside is basically a civil war between the GD's and BD's. It's so deep rooted that the members find their actions just, the same as warring armies. The GD's are larger and more powerful, which results in the BD's being hyper-violent and engaging in guerilla style tactics. It's quite fascinating.

The Feds tried to treat it like the Mafia or Hells Angels. They really didn't understand the scale or the cultural aspects of their actions though.

I've said it before but I find it startling that we really don't know why crime rose dramatically in the 60s-80s and then fell just as dramatically in 90s-00s. And now it rises again and we don't know what to do.

That's scary.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
I've said it before but I find it startling that we really don't know why crime rose dramatically in the 60s-80s and then fell just as dramatically in 90s-00s. And now it rises again and we don't know what to do.

That's scary.

In Chicago it can be directly tied to 2 actions, the dissolving of leadership and the destruction of the high rise projects. For example, the Robert Taylor homes were a stronghold/safe place for the BD's. Those members were displaced and spread throughout the southside.

Some of the gangs are almost 60 years old now. Generations identify with them. Culturally, they're more than just gangs.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
In Chicago it can be directly tied to 2 actions, the dissolving of leadership and the destruction of the high rise projects. For example, the Robert Taylor homes were a stronghold/safe place for the BD's. Those members were displaced and spread throughout the southside.

Some of the gangs are almost 60 years old now. Generations identify with them. Culturally, they're more than just gangs.

I find that difficult to attribute it to. Chicago was following a national wave. I think the destructoin of public housing was certainly a contributing factor, and the removal of gang leadership causes changes, but there's no problem unique to chicago that was not found in NYC/DC/LA...except there is one thing, Chicago has not seen population growth.