4/10 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)
Solid slate of starters to watch today.

Surkamp perhaps key to the immediate future if either of our mlb righties continues to struggle

Goldberg likely a guy key to a dynamic young bullpen Hahn's trying to put in place, how soon? idk, but I look forward to it compared to this season of fat/old, retread/flip hope, injury recovery/lottery ticket types. But if any shred of new talent that we can trust for the future emerges, it's a boon to the rebuild, and nobody's locked in for next year, which is nice. I might be able to take only one season of this..

Danish and Jaye could be rotation fixtures, or not. Jaye's timing is more predictable if he continues to do well and it wouldn't be crazy to see him on the South Side to start next season. And if you believe recent reports about Jaye, both are potentially plus pitchers at mlb level, which is exciting.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Surkamp perhaps key to the immediate future if either of our mlb righties continues to struggle

Goldberg likely a guy key to a dynamic young bullpen Hahn's trying to put in place, how soon? idk, but I look forward to it compared to this season of fat/old, retread/flip hope, injury recovery/lottery ticket types. But if any shred of new talent that we can trust for the future emerges, it's a boon to the rebuild, and nobody's locked in for next year, which is nice. I might be able to take only one season of this..

Danish and Jaye could be rotation fixtures, or not. Jaye's timing is more predictable if he continues to do well and it wouldn't be crazy to see him on the South Side to start next season. And if you believe recent reports about Jaye, both are potentially plus pitchers at mlb level, which is exciting.

I think it's a waste of time to projecting pitching prospects until they put together a track record at AA. In other words, we're in trouble if these guys are in the Sox plans.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
Davidson striking out a ton so far this season. Good news is he seems to be playing solid defense.

Unfortunately that is going to be part of his game. But if he can still put up a .800-plus OPS at 3B with solid defense, that is a very valuable player. Like everyone in the Sox system, he needs to be walking more if he is going to strikeout that often.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Charlotte had 16 strikeouts in their loss today. Carlos Sanchez and Matt Davidson lead the way with 3 each.

Serious contact issues all over the system.

Sanchez striking out is especially troubling. Davidson can at least hit the ball to the moon, Sanchez cannot do that.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
Charlotte had 16 strikeouts in their loss today. Carlos Sanchez and Matt Davidson lead the way with 3 each.

Insane, some of the K totals I'm seeing in these boxscores. They're missing the selective part of the orgwide philosophy, it would appear.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)

One problem with a ton of K's in the minors is it doesn't tend to get better when you move up to the major leagues.

Contact is going to be an issue with Davidson. It always has been. I don't think he is suddenly going to start making more contact. He is just going to have to be a guy who can get on base at a decent clip and hit the ball over the wall a lot. If that happens, fine. If it doesn't, he's the Josh Fields sequel and sequels usually aren't as good as the original.

Edited by Dick Allen