4/11 Games

caulfield12

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 42m

#whitesox Tim Anderson small frame but nice muscle build. Very athletic body; has some plus bat speed. Expanded zone first AB.

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 41m

#whitesox Courtney Hawkins took a 88 MPH FB middle middle for strike one. Swung and missed at 2 CHs away. Fell to a knee last swing.

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 15m

#whitesox Tim Anderson expanded zone again. Again against offspeed. First AB outside, 2nd: swung at 3 CBs down. Not sure he picked up spin.

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 12m

Routine play to Anderson; sloppy footwork, not particularly clean actions fielding; started rushing on transfer and lost it. E6. #whitesox

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 5m

Mental error by Anderson boy covering the bag on delayed steal. Teammates questioning him. Not a good start for Timmy. #whitesox

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 4m

#whitesox Hawkins front side flying way open early; chest is facing the pitcher by the time his barrel is coming through hitting zone.

Expand

I wouldn't be surprised if we see them give Mitchell some playing time at the major league level...or Thompson, just to see what they have the last two months if they're out of the race.

Some are going to argue that Danks should be playing (everyday) instead, but it would be pretty surprising if the Sox went that route.

You can also give them DH at-bats after/when/if you trade Dunn.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if we see them give Mitchell some playing time at the major league level...or Thompson, just to see what they have the last two months if they're out of the race.

Some are going to argue that Danks should be playing (everyday) instead, but it would be pretty surprising if the Sox went that route.

You can also give them DH at-bats after/when/if you trade Dunn.

Mitchell hit .174/.297/.275 last year at AA and then .132/.277/.170 at AAA. I'd be enormously surprised.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
Mitchell hit .174/.297/.275 last year at AA and then .132/.277/.170 at AAA. I'd be enormously surprised.

Former 1st round draft picks are always going to get the benefit of the doubt...Buddy Bell, until this day, still probably believes the lights are just going to go on with Mitchell and he'll become a productive ballplayer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
Former 1st round draft picks are always going to get the benefit of the doubt...Buddy Bell, until this day, still probably believes the lights are just going to go on with Mitchell and he'll become a productive ballplayer.

Buddy Bell isn't in charge of the major league roster, so I'm still not sure why you're pushing this narrative.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
Buddy Bell isn't in charge of the major league roster, so I'm still not sure why you're pushing this narrative.

Simply the belief that some in the front office feel Mitchell or especially Thompson has more future potential than Danks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 42m

#whitesox Tim Anderson small frame but nice muscle build. Very athletic body; has some plus bat speed. Expanded zone first AB.

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 41m

#whitesox Courtney Hawkins took a 88 MPH FB middle middle for strike one. Swung and missed at 2 CHs away. Fell to a knee last swing.

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 15m

#whitesox Tim Anderson expanded zone again. Again against offspeed. First AB outside, 2nd: swung at 3 CBs down. Not sure he picked up spin.

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 12m

Routine play to Anderson; sloppy footwork, not particularly clean actions fielding; started rushing on transfer and lost it. E6. #whitesox

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 5m

Mental error by Anderson boy covering the bag on delayed steal. Teammates questioning him. Not a good start for Timmy. #whitesox

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 4m

#whitesox Hawkins front side flying way open early; chest is facing the pitcher by the time his barrel is coming through hitting zone.

Expand

At least he doesn't focus on the negative.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)

This one is more positive:

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 10h

#whitesox SS Anderson is raw. Extremely athletic; there are some tools there. Plus arm, plus plus runner. Like the bat speed.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 06:04 AM)

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 54m

So last night I saw really bad Tim Anderson but I also saw "holy s***" Tim Anderson. #whitesox

Expand

CJ Wittmann ‏@CJWittJr 53m

The total package of Anderson is explosive. But he's still very raw. Long way away for me. I'll be sitting on the whole series #whitesox

Expand

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 12, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
4 other guys on the Dash have higher K rates than Hawkins; Anderson, Barnum, Basto and DiMichele.

Is this good?

Basto is a non-prospect, and none of the other three are exactly high-contact types (at least at this point). Not sure if it is a good sign for Hawkins as much as a bad sign for the other guys, but either way, those numbers will start to mean a lot more in a month or two.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
Basto is a non-prospect, and none of the other three are exactly high-contact types (at least at this point). Not sure if it is a good sign for Hawkins as much as a bad sign for the other guys, but either way, those numbers will start to mean a lot more in a month or two.

How is Basto a non-prospect as a 20 year old (as of 10 days ago) in high-A? Granted he put up awe-full stats last year but if he is a non-prospect then Barnum and DeMichele should be written off as well.

QUOTE (The 815 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
How is Basto a non-prospect as a 20 year old (as of 10 days ago) in high-A? Granted he put up awe-full stats last year but if he is a non-prospect then Barnum and DeMichele should be written off as well.

Not comparable. Basto was drafted as a SS, was awful there defensively and was moved to 3B, and he's been awful there too. He has neither hit nor fielded anything more than bad. He was a 5th round draft pick, and he's only playing 3B at W-S because the only other alternative was Eric Grabe or an org guy.

Barnum is a 1st round supplemental pick with plus raw power - different animal. DeMichele is a 3rd round pick who plays a competent 2B. Both have put up far better numbers, even with their struggles.

Also, without getting into details, a White Sox scout gave a pretty strong indication about how bad Basto's D has been. So even the Sox' people aren't seeing anything there.