Podcasts

Middle Buffalo

I used to be able to listen to almost 10 hours a day of podcasts because I worked alone the majority of the day. I listened to Steve Dahl, ESPN 1000 (Waddle, Silvy, Carmen, Jurko, Harry, Mac), various comedy podcasts, and some NPR type programs. I hardly ever listen to sports with callers now. I almost can't believe I ever did (although I still think the early years of the Score were pretty great).

I work in an office now, so my listen time is way down, but I still listen to several shows during the week. Anyone else out there listen to podcasts? Which ones?

I just started listening to "In the Dark." It's about a child abduction in Minnesota. Really good. Unlike Seriel, I feel like this will be a little more satisfying. Seriel left more questions unanswered than answered.

Bill Simmons needs to realize podcast wise, there is such a thing as too much. I like his shows and 1600 but all this other stuff is awful The Ringer is putting out.

As an old school wrestling fan, the new Bruce Prichard podcast is great.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
Bill Simmons needs to realize podcast wise, there is such a thing as too much. I like his shows and 1600 but all this other stuff is awful The Ringer is putting out.

The Watch is fantastic.

Really, the I Am Rapaport podcast is hilarious and amazing. Jalen & Jacoby is a must listen as well.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:41 PM)
I tend to cherry pick comedy podcasts based on the guest. I've probably listened to all of them a few times.

Same here, mostly with the LA comedy scene, though I find the episodes with guests I'm not familiar with tend to be great none the less, but it's hard to commit. Sometimes you don't immediately recognize a name but once you start listening you realize right quick that it's some one you do know and they're hilarious. i.e.: Thomas Middleditch. He never struck me as a particularly interesting comedian based on his roles, but he's incredile at improv.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)

To some extent I agree but I'm a big greenwald/Ryan fan, and really like Robert mays and especially Kevin Clark for Nfl. Also enjoy 1600. So hit or miss like any channel

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
Same here, mostly with the LA comedy scene, though I find the episodes with guests I'm not familiar with tend to be great none the less, but it's hard to commit. Sometimes you don't immediately recognize a name but you realize right quick that it's some one you do know and they're hilarious.

That's what I like about Never Not Funny. I often don't know the guest, but Pardo does a good job of integrating them into the show. It's not an interview, they just goof around.

I recommend Daves of Thunder as a comedy podcast. It's from 2010 and isn't recording anymore, but it's not really topical, so it's pretty evergreen. It's consistently funny, though it might take a few episodes to "get."

I listen to podcasts when I take a shower and when I go to sleep at night. I only have a few though that I listen to every single new one that comes out.

The ones I keep up with every week....

1) Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast (Released on Mondays and Thursday. He just rants and talks about life and reads listener emails asking for advice, usually talks major sports news)

2) Ride the Lightning: Tesla Motors Podcast (Released every Sunday. Tesla fan podcast hosted by IGN's Ryan McCaffrey. As a future Tesla owner, I love getting all the latest news and updates)

3) Fangraphs Audio (Release a couple a week usually, but randomly. Obviously baseball podcast. Carson Cistulli has on different guests, ranging from heavy baseball talk, to just random life chats with Dayn Perry and Jeff Sullivan)

Others that I pick and choose episodes of when I'm caught up on the other 3....

How Did This Get Made (Group of comedias; Paul Scherer, Jason Manzoukas, June-Diane Raphael and guests, rip apart terrible movies)

South Side Sox Podcast

Baseball America Podcast

Effectively Wild (Baseball Prospectus podcast)

Accidental Tech (Tech news)

Channel Surfing (IGN based podcast about TV shows)

Serial (When it's not garbage like Season 2)

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

My favs:

The Bill Simmons Podcast. I love BS so i listen to every single one, though I personally recommend any time Michael Rappaport is on it.

Joe Rogan Experience (depending on the guest)

Pardon my Take (barstool sports)

The Last Podcast on the Left. (Currently in love with this one. 3 comedians that talk about creepy stuff like serial killers, paranormal stuff. Super morbid but I love it.)

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 01:37 AM)
Others that I pick and choose episodes of when I'm caught up on the other 3....

How Did This Get Made (Group of comedias; Paul Scherer, Jason Manzoukas, June-Diane Raphael and guests, rip apart terrible movies)

Can't believe I left this one out. It's on the long side but hilarious.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
The Watch is fantastic.

Really, the I Am Rapaport podcast is hilarious and amazing. Jalen & Jacoby is a must listen as well.

Is that with Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan? If so, yuck. Those guys are awful.

I'm a huge fan of Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell. Those were all great.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
I just started listening to "In the Dark." It's about a child abduction in Minnesota. Really good. Unlike Seriel, I feel like this will be a little more satisfying. Seriel left more questions unanswered than answered.

Thanks for this recommendation. Caught up during commute. Wish it was Serial s2 instead of what Koenig did.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 05:28 AM)
Started listening to "Accused". Another crime pod about an unsolved murder in 78

I'll check this out. I just finished "In the Dark." It was so well done - much more satisfying than Serial.

Norm Macdonald's podcast is back. He's so offbeat that's it's always a fun listen