Joel Skinner

SCCWS

I don't think Charlotte has the greatest roster. When we discuss players to be called up to help the White Sox, the options seem limited. Yet Skinner has them playing well with one of the best records in the International League. Maybe there is an internal option should Hahn decide he needs to jumpstart this team.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
I don't think Charlotte has the greatest roster. When we discuss players to be called up to help the White Sox, the options seem limited. Yet Skinner has them playing well with one of the best records in the International League. Maybe there is an internal option should Hahn decide he needs to jumpstart this team.

Minor league records (especially the AAA team) aren't that important to the major league operations.

The only thing that matters is the development of the legit prospects...winning is probably 10% at most. Now if it's the A teams, rookie ball, AA...depending on the organization, winning percentage becomes a bit more important, especially if the major league team has struggled to put winning teams out on the field.

The problem with looking for Charlotte solutions are contract situations like they have with Melky Cabrera and John Danks.

If they're willing to bench Cabrera, they still don't have an everyday option in Thompson from everything we've read about him.

The front office can tinker with the bullpen mix a bit (Guerra up), but they're unlikely to do much better than Petricka or Putnam pitching as well as they can (see 2014)....for now, the best options there are still Crain or Nate Jones.

Catching...that situation has been discussed into the ground. If they felt Nieto or Kevan Smith or Kottaras were better long-term solutions, they would be up.

In the short-term, all they can do is risk Beckham slumping offensively by moving him back to 2B...or putting Bonifacio at 2B, in order to jump start the offense. The third option would be signing Everth Cabrera to do what they had hoped Micah Johnson would (except play better defense).

The main problem is Beckham isn't raking LHP, he's hitting RHP much better (wiping out the idea of a strict platoon at 3B with Conor)...but somehow they're going to have to play Bonifacio more often for either LaRoche or Cabrera against lefties (for now, it seems they will bench Cabrera and bat Alexei 2nd in those situations).

They can't give Sanchez more than another 3-5 games to get his offensive game back on track.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 07:09 PM)
Minor league records (especially the AAA team) aren't that important to the major league operations.

The only thing that matters is the development of the legit prospects...winning is probably 10% at most. Now if it's the A teams, rookie ball, AA...depending on the organization, winning percentage becomes a bit more important, especially if the major league team has struggled to put winning teams out on the field.

The problem with looking for Charlotte solutions are contract situations like they have with Melky Cabrera and John Danks.

If they're willing to bench Cabrera, they still don't have an everyday option in Thompson from everything we've read about him.

The front office can tinker with the bullpen mix a bit (Guerra up), but they're unlikely to do much better than Petricka or Putnam pitching as well as they can (see 2014)....for now, the best options there are still Crain or Nate Jones.

Catching...that situation has been discussed into the ground. If they felt Nieto or Kevan Smith or Kottaras were better long-term solutions, they would be up.

In the short-term, all they can do is risk Beckham slumping offensively by moving him back to 2B...or putting Bonifacio at 2B, in order to jump start the offense. The third option would be signing Everth Cabrera to do what they had hoped Micah Johnson would (except play better defense).

The main problem is Beckham isn't raking LHP, he's hitting RHP much better (wiping out the idea of a strict platoon at 3B with Conor)...but somehow they're going to have to play Bonifacio more often for either LaRoche or Cabrera against lefties (for now, it seems they will bench Cabrera and bat Alexei 2nd in those situations).

They can't give Sanchez more than another 3-5 games to get his offensive game back on track.

I am not talking about players. If Skinner has been able to coach up a mediocre roster, maybe he can breathe some life into the White Sox.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
I am not talking about players. If Skinner has been able to coach up a mediocre roster, maybe he can breathe some life into the White Sox.

Well...that's about as likely to happen as Hoiberg also coaching the White Sox.

I've given up hope for any in-season move. If they do go that (internal) route, they'd probably tap Joe McEwing first (with LaRussa's blessing).

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)

I'm not a fan of mid-season changes in baseball. However, if the Sox decide to change after the season, I agree he would be a good choice. Everyone in baseball likes him as a manager. He is a good communicator and handles players well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
I'm not a fan of mid-season changes in baseball. However, if the Sox decide to change after the season, I agree he would be a good choice. Everyone in baseball likes him as a manager. He is a good communicator and handles players well.

If the White Sox come off a season so disappointing they need to fire Ventura (or he steps down), it's likely Sox fans would expect an "immediate impact" manager like a Francona or Maddon in order for them to buy into the idea of competing right away in 2016.

At this point, I'm not sure whether solid choices are good enough when they have to hit a home run.

It would also seem they would have to go back in the direction of a more demanding/controlling coach who's closer to a micromanager (like a Showalter, Gibson or LaRussa) than someone very loose and relaxed with the players ala Robin.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
If the White Sox come off a season so disappointing they need to fire Ventura (or he steps down), it's likely Sox fans would expect an "immediate impact" manager like a Francona or Maddon in order for them to buy into the idea of competing right away in 2016.

At this point, I'm not sure whether solid choices are good enough when they have to hit a home run.

It would also seem they would have to go back in the direction of a more demanding/controlling coach who's closer to a micromanager (like a Showalter, Gibson or LaRussa) than someone very loose and relaxed with the players ala Robin.

If the team hires the manger based on the type the fans want, they are already so far in trouble it doesn't matter what else they do. They will need to hire the best person for the job in the opinion of the FO.

while the idea of Skinner is nice, and he is internal. i am wondering if the sox should go outside the org for a replacement manager.

i am still thinking of several former players who has major league experiences. i can't exactly remember the previous list i made, i know i am missing one more name. but i still like these candidates.

and these are in my order of preference.

1. Mike Maddu - pitching coach atl.

2. Dave Martinez

as i said there were a couple more, but i can't remember who??

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
while the idea of Skinner is nice, and he is internal. i am wondering if the sox should go outside the org for a replacement manager.

i am still thinking of several former players who has major league experiences. i can't exactly remember the previous list i made, i know i am missing one more name. but i still like these candidates.

and these are in my order of preference.

1. Mike Maddu - pitching coach atl.

2. Dave Martinez

as i said there were a couple more, but i can't remember who??

I thought Dave Martinez should have been the choice when the Sox chose RV. Having said that, Martinez has been up for several jobs since and been passed over. When he didn't get chosen to replace Maddon, I thought maybe he is not considered as highly as a manager replacement.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
I thought Dave Martinez should have been the choice when the Sox chose RV. Having said that, Martinez has been up for several jobs since and been passed over. When he didn't get chosen to replace Maddon, I thought maybe he is not considered as highly as a manager replacement.

if it was me and the choice would be Martinez or Maddon, i too would have chosen Maddon.

btw, isn't Martinez still with Maddon in chi?

How on earth does one read the original post and not know the entire point revolves around Skinner?

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
How on earth does one read the original post and not know the entire point revolves around Skinner?

there is a little amber arrow next to the time. click it and it takes it back to the org.

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 03:53 PM)

Because the premise of the original post was based on the fact that Skinner was overachieving with the Charlotte roster.

In reality, that's less important (the winning percentage of the AAA team) than most think. Next, it's realistically impossible to determine if they're overachieving vs. underachieving because AAAA/minor league veterans have a lot more (90%) to do with that result than any true/legit prospects (guys like Thompson or Micah Johnson). Basically, it's very hard to assess.

Unless you work everyday with that team and can observe it from an insider's perspective, good luck speculating.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
if it was me and the choice would be Martinez or Maddon, i too would have chosen Maddon.

btw, isn't Martinez still with Maddon in chi?

HUH???? Your confused. Once the Cubs chose Maddon, Tampa did not hire Martinez to replace him. They hired cash instead.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 12:36 AM)
HUH???? Your confused. Once the Cubs chose Maddon, Tampa did not hire Martinez to replace him. They hired cash instead.

i am not confused. you said ---

When he didn't get chosen to replace Maddon, I thought maybe he is not considered as highly as a manager replacement

no where is Tampa mention and i didn't mention Tampa. all i said is if i had to choose between Maddon and Martinez, i too would chose Maddon.

see

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
i am not confused. you said ---

no where is Tampa mention and i didn't mention Tampa. all i said is if i had to choose between Maddon and Martinez, i too would chose Maddon.

see

No clue what you are saying. After being an assistant in Tampa for many years , Martinez did not get chosen to be his replacement. The choice was not Maddon versus Martinez it was Martinez versus Kevin Cash.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 02:32 AM)
No clue what you are saying. After being an assistant in Tampa for many years , Martinez did not get chosen to be his replacement. The choice was not Maddon versus Martinez it was Martinez versus Kevin Cash.

come on, you can't be this ....... fill in the bland.

post #13 of this thread.

it is all there, if you still are a hard time figuring this out, leave me alone, you are hopeless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
At what point do we wonder if the reason he doesn't have a managerial job yet is that he has some sort of character flaw that teams aren't comfortable with?

re Martinez, you made a good point. i am thinking that it is the unknown.

ref mike maddux, he is dedicate to the Braves. Since he did not get the job, he is free to choice for his future.