Jake Burger Signs

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Jim Callis @jimcallisMLB

1st-rder Jake Burger agrees w/@whitesox for $3.7 mil (pick 11=$4,199,200). Missouri St 3B, best power hitter in 2017 @MLBDraft.

Didn't see this posted anywhere. If it was feel free to merge.

Saving $500,000.00 is a big help in signing a few guys, especially Skoug. The Burger selection made sense, especially underslot.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
Or Skoug, who will likely want overslot money.

In the podcast, it intimated that Skoug or his reps were talked to and although you "can't" discuss terms(everyone does), we had an idea what he would need and took him. Quite likely after he fell, his number may have changed overnight. That tells me we can get there and this 500k certainly will help.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Worth noting, the difference between his being drafted in the 3rd round, and in the 7th round is around $435k ($636k vs 201k)

How much leverage does Skoug really have though?

Sure, he can return to school for his senior season, but he is then banking on being drafted higher when teams continued to pass on him round after round. He would have no leverage as a senior signing and his stock could fall, or he could get injured?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)

Sure, he can return to school for his senior season, but he is then banking on being drafted higher when teams continued to pass on him round after round. He would have no leverage as a senior signing and his stock could fall, or he could get injured?

Realistically, I agree he has not a lot of leverage. I don't see him getting that amount, or close to it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Realistically, I agree he has not a lot of leverage. I don't see him getting that amount, or close to it.

It's one thing if he fell to round 4 or 5, but he fell to the 7th round. I would think he would get slightly over slot, but nothing crazy. Doubtful he risks what should be a solid bonus as a college junior.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
It's one thing if he fell to round 4 or 5, but he fell to the 7th round. I would think he would get slightly over slot, but nothing crazy. Doubtful he risks what should be a solid bonus as a college junior.

If he holds out, he will be a senior next year, which gives him zero leverage. I could see a deal in the 300-500k range getting done, giving him a bit more money, but not burning up their pool savings.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 03:38 PM)

I agree. He had a not so good season and his defense will not likely allow him to stay at catcher. Give him what his draft position is worth or let him return to school. Use the 1/2M on someone who has more upside.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)

Exactly. He'll probably sign a little overslot, but not multiple hundreds of thousands.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
I agree. He had a not so good season and his defense will not likely allow him to stay at catcher. Give him what his draft position is worth or let him return to school. Use the 1/2M on someone who has more upside.

The Sox are probably one of the only teams that will give him the chance to stick at C. They have a pattern of getting guys that are questionable backstops and letting them try to develop at the position. Guys like Collins, Phegley, Flowers, Sammy Ayala, and Kevan Smith.

Obviously there is value to be harvested if you can get one of these offensive minded guys to be a reliable bat in the lineup, the problem seems that they sacrifice offensive development to get these guys coached up to play behind the dish.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if the cost savings on Burger ends up being simply cost savings. Just like trading for that International spending.

Also, if I'm right, I'm okay with it. They spent $50mm acquiring a prospect.

I said the same thing on Day 3 of the draft. Going off of what has been said already, there is a good chance that some cost savings was baked into this draft. I see at least 750k in savings in the first 10 rounds, without a lot of places to spend it. There were also a ton of senior draft picks late which will get next to zero bonuses.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Exactly. He'll probably sign a little overslot, but not multiple hundreds of thousands.

Sox already know how much money it will take to sign Skoug or they would not have drafted him. There was a high school player from my town drafted and he said on radio he recorded calls from 4-5 teams each round trying to find out a price to sign. When he agreed he was drafted immediately.