Air Rage Forces Flight to Stop

greg775

A woman throws water in the face of this guy because he blocked her from reclining her seat. So the plane has to get diverted to throw them both off the plane.

Think of all the people inconvenienced, missing connections, etc.

It reminds me once I had to sit in the middle seat on a Southwest flight because two guys got in a scrap about the overhead. One guy had luggage and asked who had a coat up in the bin he wanted to move. Some guy said, "It's my coat and it's not moving!" So the other guy with the luggage said, "You are an asshole!"

It turned out of course they both were in my row so I quickly offered to move to the middle seat to separate them and I got crushed the whole trip.

Have you all ever seen rage on planes from passengers?

And are you, as I am, appalled at the new planes with NO LEG ROOM??? It is a disgrace and airlines should be ashamed of themselves. It truly is disgusting.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/travel/unite...pt=hp_inthenews

Many years ago while trying to get a return flight back from Vegas, we were sitting there waiting for our plane to land so we can board. The airline announced that because some OTHER plane had broken down and was unable to be fixed, they were giving OUR plane to the other people who were inconvenienced. We would have to wait for a replacement plane to land in about 2 more hours, and oh yeah, it is smaller so 50 people or so will have to wait until tomorrow. So now not only were the first plane of people pissed that they were late, they were making a second plane of people pissed as well, and then 50 more of them even MORE pissed by missing the flight entirely. I started off with actually quite polite conversations with people asking them why they were doing this, and pissing off twice as many people, and it soon devolved into screaming at everyone involved asking them if they had even heard of customer service or if they thought that was only something they had heard about in stories, and so on. This was pre-9/11, or I would have been in jail. However at the time, I was getting applause from the stranded masses.

Also had an incident similar to Greg's with the coat, where some guy wouldn't move his coat for my mother in law to put her bag up top. So I got up and moved it, put her bag up and sat down. He glared at me the whole flight and 'accidentally' bumped into me at the baggage claim area. I just laughed.

I hope the lady who threw the water gets charged with battery. Not sure what law the guy would have broke. Airline rule, sure, but a law?

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Anybody who reclines their seat on a non-overseas or non-redeye flight just plain sucks. /thread

Agreed. Every time I fly to AZ to visit my parents, it never fails that the person in from of me reclines. I'm 6'5 so I casually and intentionally bump my knees and nudge it for a few seconds. It never fails and they incline.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Agreed. Every time I fly to AZ to visit my parents, it never fails that the person in from of me reclines. I'm 6'5 so I casually and intentionally bump my knees and nudge it for a few seconds. It never fails and they incline.

As far as I'm concerned, the seat comes with the functionality so the passenger is fully entitled to use it. That doesn't mean pull it up and down a million times, but you are entitled to your space. No reason to throw water in the persons face though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
As far as I'm concerned, the seat comes with the functionality so the passenger is fully entitled to use it. That doesn't mean pull it up and down a million times, but you are entitled to your space. No reason to throw water in the persons face though.

It proves anything can happen to delay your trip. Here you are in the air, thinking everything is on time and life is good and ... boom, two passengers force the plane to be re-routed. There's nothing worse than going to the airport for a return flight home and see "canceled" or "delayed" next to your flight on the big board.

Travel is great ... once you arrive at your destination.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)

When someone reclines to a point where they are in my space, it's inconsiderate. I respect other peoples space, they should respect mine.

Anybody who reclines their seat on a non-overseas or non-redeye flight just plain sucks. /thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)

Thirded.

On a happier note ...

Once, I kid you not, I got on a SW Airlines flight and a woman who was a perfect 10, about 25 years old, blonde hair, blue eyes, gorgeous walks on the plane as one of the final passengers to board.

She gets on the plane and all that is left is the middle seat in my row. For once, halleluia.

She sits down and proceeds to say she's never flown before and is scared to death and she asks if I can hold her hand. I was only about 8 years older than her so it wasn't like I was some grandpa to her.

So she gets through the flight, scared as hell. I enjoyed talking to her instead of taking my normal flight nap while ignoring the beastly males who normally sit next to me.

No happily ever after ending for me, however.

She tells me she's going to Dallas to meet some guy she met on the Internet. The guy has two kids. We get off the plane and say our goodbyes (I did get her card and she got mine, big deal) and sure enough some 5-foot-5 guy from India with a fu-manchu is there to greet her with a big hug. I'm not trying to be prejudiced here, just describing who met her. She seemed happy as a lark to see him. Maybe they got married.

It still was better than sitting next to some 300 pound male moose.

Exactly. Just because it's a function that comes with your seat doesn't mean you should be an asshole and use it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
On a happier note ...

Once, I kid you not, I got on a SW Airlines flight and a woman who was a perfect 10, about 25 years old, blonde hair, blue eyes, gorgeous walks on the plane as one of the final passengers to board.

She gets on the plane and all that is left is the middle seat in my row. For once, halleluia.

She sits down and proceeds to say she's never flown before and is scared to death and she asks if I can hold her hand. I was only about 8 years older than her so it wasn't like I was some grandpa to her.

So she gets through the flight, scared as hell. I enjoyed talking to her instead of taking my normal flight nap while ignoring the beastly males who normally sit next to me.

She tells me she's going to Dallas to meet some guy she met on the Internet. The guy has two kids. We get off the plane and say our goodbyes (I did get her card and she got mine, big deal) and sure enough some 5-foot-5 guy from India with a fu-manchu is there to greet her with a big hug. I'm not trying to be prejudiced here, just describing who met her. She seemed happy as a lark to see him. Maybe they got married.

Penthouse forum story right here

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
I'm 6'3" and don't really mind someone reclining their seat. What makes me want to start stabbing people is when someone thinks the back of your seat is a nice handle to pull themselves up.

I'm also tall, the seat reclining doesn't bother me as much as having people to my sides butting their knees into my leg space.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
On a happier note ...

I don't know why, but I find this story hysterical.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I'm 6'3" and don't really mind someone reclining their seat. What makes me want to start stabbing people is when someone thinks the back of your seat is a nice handle to pull themselves up.

I think somebody that does that oftentimes is just as dumb as a rock, more than intentionally being rude. Or so self absorbed they can't in any situation think about the other person. It's all about me, me, me.

I was on a late flight to Arizona a few years ago. Maybe take off was like 9:30. A guy a few rows in front of me was rather tall and on the aisle seat. He reclined and put his legs in the aisle, completely blocking it.

Every time a stewardess walked by or when they were giving drinks out, they politely asked him to pull his feet in and he always gave them attitude. A couple of times he BARELY moved at all, just to be an ass.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
I was on a late flight to Arizona a few years ago. Maybe take off was like 9:30. A guy a few rows in front of me was rather tall and on the aisle seat. He reclined and put his legs in the aisle, completely blocking it.

Every time a stewardess walked by or when they were giving drinks out, they politely asked him to pull his feet in and he always gave them attitude. A couple of times he BARELY moved at all, just to be an ass.

What a jerk. I wonder at what point you get kicked off the plane. If you are blocking people from doing their jobs like the drink service and checking on passengers, I'd think that asshole was close to getting the boot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)
What a jerk. I wonder at what point you get kicked off the plane. If you are blocking people from doing their jobs like the drink service and checking on passengers, I'd think that asshole was close to getting the boot.

I can see one potential problem with "kicking a person off a plane mid flight".