4/27 Games

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Danish 2.14 ERA. If he can be a long reliever/spot starter, I think we'd take that.

He's a guy I want starting in Chicago very soon. He's the type of fringy prospect that I want an extended look at in a year like this.

Let's remember that Danish is still only 22 years old. HIs skill set is not all that different than Miguel Gonzalez, who has proven to be a solid back-of-the-rotation, inning-eater-type arm. As much as I would like to get a look at him this year in the Majors, I still think he needs a full season of AAA.

Adam Engel had a horrible start to the year. Opening 2-for-35 (both singles), 5 BB and 13 K in his first 40 PA.

Then he was given 5 days off, played a couple games in LF, and now is back in CF.

Since moving back to CF, three games, he's 4-for-10, 2B, 2 BB, 2 K, plus a SF and a SH in 10 PA. Ridiculously small sample, but it seems like maybe the kick in the ass or extra coaching or whatever he got may have helped a bit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
Adam Engel had a horrible start to the year. Opening 2-for-35 (both singles), 5 BB and 13 K in his first 40 PA.

Then he was given 5 days off, played a couple games in LF, and now is back in CF.

Since moving back to CF, three games, he's 4-for-10, 2B, 2 BB, 2 K, plus a SF and a SH in 10 PA. Ridiculously small sample, but it seems like maybe the kick in the ass or extra coaching or whatever he got may have helped a bit.

Check that - with the home run - 5-for-11, HR, 2B, 2 BB, 2 K in 11 PA.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
CF job at the MLB level is pretty wide-open right now. Someone has to take advantage.

Well, Engel has always been streaky. I wouldn't call him up anytime soon. For me, he needs to be in Charlotte for the year or at least most of it. If he's producing for a few solid months, then sure. Glad he's bouncing back, but putting him in MLB right now would be a mistake.

Of course, it was also a mistake to open with May. Rather have kept Bourjos, or tried Willy in center even. Or found a scrap heap special somewhere. May was not ready.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah it's pretty concerning. >30% in AAA right now, and it's likely to be higher in the MLB. He's not ready to come up yet.

No he's not. People that hate strikeouts won't like Moncada very much though because he's going to K a lot in the bigs too.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
No he's not. People that hate strikeouts won't like Moncada very much though because he's going to K a lot in the bigs too.

I think he'll be fine if he can keep his K rate in the bigs below 30%, but right now he's not there yet.

I really want to hear some recent scouting report on Moncada's hitting. It's seems when he makes contact with the ball, good things happen. But he was described by Red Sox fans as blindly swinging at off speed pitches, which is not going to cut it at the big league level. Perhaps the silver lining here is many of his K's so far were looking, not swinging.

I'm watching the barons gameday right now. I dont know if the the pitch location they show on there is inaccurate, or if the ump is bad, or maybe both. It looks like Cooper is absolutely painting the corners, but they're getting called balls.