4/30 Games

flavum

John Manuel from BA on H&R today basically said that none of the pitchers the Sox acquired this offseason are starters and none of the top guys are starters other than Spencer Adams, who is a fringe back of rotation guy. He tried to say it in the nicest way possible. Said command/durability/stuff are the reasons. Not what I wanted to hear.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
John Manuel from BA on H&R today basically said that none of the pitchers the Sox acquired this offseason are starters and none of the top guys are starters other than Spencer Adams, who is a fringe back of rotation guy. He tried to say it in the nicest way possible. Said command/durability/stuff are the reasons. Not what I wanted to hear.

Dane Dunning, at the very least, would disagree. Kopech is still incredibly young and has a ton of time to develop.

Lopez and Giolito have struggled absolutely, but it's still very early in the season. Fulmer has made strides so far this year that appear to be encouraging.

Bottom line, it's way too early to write off any of these guys as for-sure non-starters. Will that eventually happen? Absolutely. But some will make it as starters.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Who cares.

And why?

He's immature. He's starting a day game. If he partied last night, he's not ready for AA at his age. I'm not commenting on this any more than that. If you disagree, feel free.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
He's immature. He's starting a day game. If he partied last night, he's not ready for AA at his age. I'm not commenting on this any more than that. If you disagree, feel free.

So being at high A would have kept him from partying? Ok.

With my previous post, I should have said that that wasn't my opinion, it was Manuel's. I believe that some of those guys are going to start. Biggest hope for starters right now are Lopez and Fulmer, I believe Giolito can start if he can repeat his delivery after making adjustments. The sky is the limit with him if he can figure that out. Honestly, If Giolito can separate performance from progress, I'd like to see him work with Coop for a bit like Fulmer did last year. Then he can go down to Charlotte again and iron out the kinks. It seemed to work really well for Fulmer last year. Both Giolito and the team have to know that he's going to take his lumps in the majors, and he's here to work with Coop. I know it wastes service time, but if it helps him become the best he can be, why not?

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)

In a vacuum I would be more inclined to agree with Manuel's "hot take" but this is one month into a season and these arms are in one of the few organizations that has shown time and time again they can develop every type of pitcher and polish turds from the scrap heap while protecting arms from serious injury at the major league level. Some of them will not cut it in the rotation and will be transitioned to the pen but the notion that Adams is going to be the only one that cracks a rotation makes me chuckle.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 04:07 PM)
In a vacuum I would be more inclined to agree with Manuel's "hot take" but this is one month into a season and these arms are in one of the few organizations that has shown time and time again they can develop every type of pitcher and polish turds from the scrap heap while protecting arms from serious injury at the major league level. Some of them will not cut it in the rotation and will be transitioned to the pen but the notion that Adams is going to be the only one that cracks a rotation makes me chuckle.

Manuel said he thinks Giolito has too big of a body to ever throw strikes consistent enough to be a starter.

Really? Then why was he so high on him in the past? He didn't suddenly grow 4 inches.

Manuel also said he can't think of a single pitcher of Giolito's size to ever have a nice long major league career without command issues.

Really? CC Sabathia is also 6'6", 40-50 pounds heavier, and has a career 2.7 BB/9. Roy Halladay was also 6'6", but about 20-30 pounds lighter than Gio. Pretty great career with a 1.9 BB/9.

And those are just the first 2 guys to come to mind.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)

Here is a good example of someone making a big deal out of nothing