Baseball America: Top 30 White Sox Prospects

Y2Jimmy0

My Baseball America Prospect Handbook came today. There are some interesting differences in their list compared to others.

1. Yoan Moncada 2B

2. Lucas Giolito RHP

3. Reynaldo Lopez RHP

4. Zach Collins C

5. Michael Kopech RHP (Weird since he was higher than Collins on top 100)

6. Zack Burdi RHP

7. Carson Fulmer RHP

8. Luis Alexander Basabe CF

9. Spencer Adams RHP

10. Alec Hansen RHP

11. Dane Dunning RHP

12. Jordan Stephens RHP

13. Trey Michalczewski 3B (Still think he can be an average regular if he improves contact rate and continues to settle in defensively)

14. Jameson Fisher OF (Adequate defensive player whose bat will carry him. They are more optimistic on defense than others)

15. Alex Call OF ( No bona fide plus tools but no minuses either. Polished skill set could allow him to move quickly, but if his offensive production continues to work at the highest level, his bat could separate him)

16. Jake Peter IF

17. Charlie Tilson OF ( Injury history. Short swing, outstanding bat control, no power. Plus runner, speed plays in CF. Could have long career as contact oriented CF or 4th OF

18. Tyler Danish RHP (Enough command and pitchability to profile as #5 starter).

19. Adam Engel OF (Above average raw power, 70 runner, Swing mechanics could always impede ability to make contact. Peter Bourjos comp.

20. Jacob May OF

21. Aaron Bummer LHP (Lacked consistency returning from TJS, Reaches 99 at his best and sits 91-96, Slurvy breaking ball gives him 2nd plus pitch)

22. Aaron Schnurbusch OF (Mentioned that area scout Justin Wechsler stayed on him after down year at PIT, Convinced Sox to work him out before the draft, showed plus raw power, Led pioneer league with 47 walks, detractors see uppercut swing and inconsistent hip rotation as barriers, could be late round steal)

23. Bernardo Flores LHP (Sox took a shot on Flores because of his arm strength, immediate success in pro ball that continued in instructional league, Above average CH that flashes better than that, generates tight three quarter rotation when he gets on top of curveball)

24. Micker Adolfo OF (Yet to perform but retains high ceiling)

25. Zach Thompson RHP ( Could be effective as 2 pitch reliever)

26. Victor Diaz RHP (Heavy FB that induced more weak contact than swing and miss, slider and splitter get plenty of whiffs, 1.38 ERA in final 39 IP in Greenville 10.8 K/9 3.5 BB/9, 23.2 straight scoreless innings, could fly through system and even debut during 2017 season)

27. Connor Walsh RHP ( Rival evaluators feel that he's at his best in first inning and struggles after, isn't balanced and has head whack at release, both barriers to command, elite arm strength, 93-96 reached 98. Could develop into set-up man if he can improve control)

28. Ian Hamilton RHP ( Could move quickly in high leverage relief role)

29. Dylan Covey RHP ( Poor command, inconsistent delivery, makes changes and generally reverts back to what didn't work, likely low leverage relief role

30. Omar Narvaez C

31. Amado Nunez SS

Hudson Belinsky did the White Sox list and write-ups. They are very high on some relievers in system. They were high on Schnurbusch as well.

White Sox were #5 overall in system rankings

Guys left off list: Jordan Guerrero, Chris Beck, Brian Clark, Courtney Hawkins, Matt Davidson, Luis Curbelo, Corey Zangari)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 06:35 AM)
Thanks for posting! This list shows me our Latin American operations still need a ton of work. Tatis would have cracked the top 20, but it's a bit scary that no one else did. Marco Paddy's early returns have been pretty poor. Really need one of Adolfo or Nunez to break out next year.

Fernando Tatis is #17 on the San Diego list

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 07:11 AM)
Kopech at #5 is a bit surprising. I also think Fulmer is too high and Hansen is too low.

They have Kopech behind Collins but when they did the top 100 Kopech was in the 30's. I think it's just Hudson Belinsky's opinion compared to other guys.

Up through about 17, very similar to the FS list. We didn't consider Narvaez eligible for ours.

Nice to see someone stake Schnurbusch like that. I had him at 28 on my personal T30 but he ended up just outside our list in the end. Funny that I was higher than most on him when I had written an article tempering expectations on him specifically, but I do think there's something there.

Bummer is a guy we knew a couple years ago had intrigue, but I am surprised at the helium he's been getting this spring. Sox gave him an NRI, one of the other lists mentioned him as an also-ran, and now this high on BA's list. Hard for me to justify that kind of ranking for him with him missing that much time and having two different elbow surgeries, but he could definitely make a big leap this year if he's 100% healthy.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
Weird. They've had a rocky existence thus far, after a bit of hype.

This list is considerably different than most others we have seen

It is higher on players like Basabe, Lopez and Adams

and is lower on Collins, Giolito

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 07:32 AM)
Up through about 17, very similar to the FS list. We didn't consider Narvaez eligible for ours.

Nice to see someone stake Schnurbusch like that. I had him at 28 on my personal T30 but he ended up just outside our list in the end. Funny that I was higher than most on him when I had written an article tempering expectations on him specifically, but I do think there's something there.

Bummer is a guy we knew a couple years ago had intrigue, but I am surprised at the helium he's been getting this spring. Sox gave him an NRI, one of the other lists mentioned him as an also-ran, and now this high on BA's list. Hard for me to justify that kind of ranking for him with him missing that much time and having two different elbow surgeries, but he could definitely make a big leap this year if he's 100% healthy.

Considering the lack of body of work, I"m guessing the Bummer stuff is coming almost exclusively from Sox own scouts. He will be a very interesting Spring follow.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 06:35 AM)
Thanks for posting! This list shows me our Latin American operations still need a ton of work. Tatis would have cracked the top 20, but it's a bit scary that no one else did. Marco Paddy's early returns have been pretty poor. Really need one of Adolfo or Nunez to break out next year.

But yes, this is disappointing to see only one of those returns on the top 30.

I knew it would take years to get our academy up and running, but still disappointed we did not commit to heavy spending in 2014 or 2015 in the INTL market after we knew we were trying to accelerate and would need to fill out the farm from elsewhere.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
2080 confuses me. Where is the research? There's some extensive scouting details on this but they're saying Fulmer will be in Sox rotation. Sox have said he's starting in AAA. Didn't mention service time or the Sox rebuild when speaking on any of Giolito/Lopez/Moncada and their arrival to Chicago. There's some good scouting notes, but it could be better augmented by a few minutes of google searching to include what the team has actually said about these guys.

They are odd because of their mix of staff. They have some very good writers, and they take their scouting seriously. But they have major gaps in knowledge. That Sox writeup was from multiple writers, and it shows. Some of the capsules you can tell they had good internal looks and make their case in detail. Others it's like they just pulled some bits of info from here and there. That might be acceptable from a blog like FS (because we don't see everyone either), but it doesn't fly well when they are trying to be on par with BA or BP. And as you said, for the ones they don't know, they obviously didn't dig enough.

I think they have some scouting types who know what they are doing, coupled with some less stellar writers who aren't good at research, so you get this weird mixed vibe.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
One list doesn't have Guererro/Clark, the other has them above Collins. Weird. People just trying to make their stakes.

Agreed

That might be the most glowing report on Basabe that I have seen

Collins is absolutely a better prospect at this point due to the potential for plus hit tool and plus power, even despite defensive concerns

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 07:34 AM)
Also, if you want a list with a few head-scratchers, here is 2080 Ball's Sox list. Basabe is at 3rd, and they have Collins not in the Top 10.

I think Basabe being at 3 is a product of them being on the ceiling of Basabe a lot more than most. Most reports I've seen have had him as a toolsy OF with a decent but questionable hit tool that is the cause for his wide range of projections, and will ultimately determine whether he ends up at the floor of them, at the ceiling of them, or somewhere in between. Most scouting reports I've seen on Basabe list his current/ceiling hit tool projections as 40-45/50-55. If 2080 legit grades him out with a 60 projected hit tool (which is what they list), then I can see why they would have him as the third best prospect in the system.

QUOTE (Carlo Paz @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
Guys left off list: Jordan Guerrero, Chris Beck, Brian Clark, Courtney Hawkins, Matt Davidson, Luis Curbelo, Corey Zangari)

Jeez, Eddie Alvarez didn't even make the list of guys left off the list.

Alvarez hasn't appeared on any lists other than FutureSox, even as a mention or extra at the end.

There are some valid reasons why. I've talked with people who think his swing won't work at the highest level. He's been pretty erratic at shortstop, improving but still has issues there, which is true but I don't think he's a starting SS in any case.

Then there are reasons people just dismiss him that I don't think are as valid. People see a 27-year old, and he is that and it's a consideration, but he's not 32 and developmentally he's only got 2.5 pro seasons after missing out entirely on baseball for 3 years.

I've gotten to know Eddy pretty well, and I think the overall package will be a major leaguer as a bench player. Other analysts disagree obviously, but I'll stick with my #22 ranking for him. I think his defense has improved a lot and will improve enough more to be competent at both middle infield positions, he's got plus or better speed, enough arm for either position, excellent plate discipline, and I think he's got just enough pop to keep pitchers honest. Not a starting player most likely, but a major leaguer.

The big question is, how or when does he get a shot? He's got Tyler Saladino and Carlos Sanchez ahead of him for those bench infield roles, and the future at SS and 2B is pretty well set for a long while barring injuries.

It would really help his case if he could show off he can play some additional positions.

But his speed and plate discipline makes me think he could have a few years if it works out. Really hope he does well in AAA and we see him this year. But Jake Peter will have a strong case too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
It would really help his case if he could show off he can play some additional positions.

But his speed and plate discipline makes me think he could have a few years if it works out. Really hope he does well in AAA and we see him this year. But Jake Peter will have a strong case too.

Yeah Peter is ahead of him too, good call.

I think they have been playing Alvarez primarily at short, the same way they have some of their key reliever prospects work as starters for a year or two. It's a crash course. Short is the biggest challenge on the infield, and where he can learn the most in the least time.

Now that he's in AAA, I bet he starts playing 2B and 3B as well. Maybe even outfield. They will do that with Peter as well.

Best money says that by the end of the year, only two of Saladino, Sanchez, Peter and Alvarez are still with the Sox. They've got no place for four utility infielders, and only maybe Saladino at 3B has a shot to be a starter (and that's a stretch). Wouldn't shock me in fact if Sanchez gets traded during Spring Training.