Matt Davidson

harkness99

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
Saw him in the dugout today.

He usually only plays against left handed starters.

In an article on the Sox website here is a quote from Renteria an it's a strange one.

"It's not so much the matchup," Renteria said. "We have other guys. We want to go ahead and give them the opportunity to face who they are facing today. Matty has shown he can hit anybody. It has nothing to do with it. It has more to do with putting the guys we have right now in a particular situation to experience this particular club."

How's that for talking out of your ass because maybe you are just a good soldier following orders.

Would it be too much to ask to have a LH hitter who could put up an 800+ OPS against RHP?

For all the hand-wringing about Thome and Dunn, they could manage that at least. We always write about how easy it is to find corner outfielders and 1B/DH types that can put up decent numbers, but it's not quite as easy as that.

Look at how much money we invested into Cabrera and Abreu, how patient they've been with Avisail Garcia, Todd Frazier since the All-Star Break in 2015 and Sox DH numbers since Dunn has left. It's obvious to say someone like Courtney Hawkins or Keon Barnum was once envisioned to be putting up big numbers in one of those slots, but it's crazy how barren the AA/AAA rosters are except for players who've come from other organizations like Moncada, Willy Garcia, Delmonico, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 08:08 PM)
Would it be too much to ask to have a LH hitter who could put up an 800+ OPS against RHP?

That costs money. The Sox aren't trying to win. There's no need to spend money on an OK player right now. You may as well take a few gambles along the way.

Asche won't be long in Chicago, but someone needs to take the ABs.

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 23, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
Asche though? I mean I get the k rate... but we got one guy actually hitting and a horrible offense.

But he doesn't play.

The K rates are quite similar...

Asche - 14K 35AB

Davidson - 17K 34AB

Davidson has 3 more HR and 9 more RBI than Asche. However, I fully expect Matt (and Avi Garcia) to ome back to Earth sooner rather than later.

BTW, have the Sox won a game that Asche has started?

Everyone says he sucks but the guy continues to rake. A few inches from a 2HR game last night. Obviously, Frazier needs to play so we can at least get something for him at the deadline, nothing more nothing less. But we have to figure out a way to get this guy consistent AB's no matter who is on the mound. If that means Frazier at 1B, Abreu at DH and Davidson at 3B then so be it.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 01:57 AM)
Play Davidson every day. Enough with this bs. Delmonico better be playing every day when he comes up too.

Problem is, you can't play Delmonico, Davidson, Abreu, Frazier, and I guess Melky all every day. Melky or Frazier has to go before both Davidson and Delmonico see every day at bats. And that doesn't look like it's happening any time soon.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 06:45 AM)
Problem i, you can't play Delmonico, Davidson, Abreu, Frazier, and I guess Melky all every day. Melky or Frazier has to go before both Davidson and Delmonico see every day at bats. And that doesn't look like it's happening any time soon.

Frazier and Melky will probably get traded in June or July.

QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 06:46 AM)
Frazier and Melky will probably get traded in June or July.

They better start hitting. If Giants start playing good and Arroyo isn't hitting at 3B, either one makes sense for them. Still too early to write of any team.

Edited by soxfan2014

It's 116 at bats so it doesn't mean a whole lot but it's pretty crazy that he has a .901 career ops in the majors. Look, I don't think he's very good and I'm ready for the crash down to earth but at this point there's no reason to not be playing him every day.

If you look at Davidson's batted ball stats, they are excellent. While a guy who has struck out in nearly half his PA has undoubtedly had some luck, he's also had 8 "barrels" per Statcast, which are batted balls that have an expected BA of .500 and SLG of 1.500 based on exit velocity and launch angle (out of 22 batted balls, the highest rate among people with that many batted balls). He's in the top 15 or 20 in average exit velocity on balls hit in the air. Maybe he wouldn't be hitting at all in the plate appearances that Asche gets, who knows. But his hot start is largely on the strength of hitting the ball really hard, so I would take him seriously.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
If you look at Davidson's batted ball stats, they are excellent. While a guy who has struck out in nearly half his PA has undoubtedly had some luck, he's also had 8 "barrels" per Statcast, which are batted balls that have an expected BA of .500 and SLG of 1.500 based on exit velocity and launch angle (out of 22 batted balls, the highest rate among people with that many batted balls). He's in the top 15 or 20 in average exit velocity on balls hit in the air. Maybe he wouldn't be hitting at all in the plate appearances that Asche gets, who knows. But his hot start is largely on the strength of hitting the ball really hard, so I would take him seriously.

That was what was apparent from watching him play. The dude will consistently hit the ball hard. It's a matter of making contact on a more regular basis.