Who are the main competitors for selling at the deadline?

Dominikk85

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 05:45 AM)
Some of the supposed bad teams have started rather well maybe one or two of them decide against selling more.

Who could still sell at the headline?

Yeah but unfortunately some supposedly good teams have started like garbage.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
Still too early to tell. Give it till the end of May to start labeling teams as sellers. I think most of us can admit we're surprised to be at 9-9.

He asked you who the main competitors were. Do or do not, there is no put off til end of may ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)
17 of 30 teams are our main competition. Impressive level of suck this year in MLB.

With increased draft emphasis, the race for the bottom is worse than ever. Not sure what the league can do about it, though.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)
With increased draft emphasis, the race for the bottom is worse than ever. Not sure what the league can do about it, though.

League can do about what? A decent amount of teams were trying to win heading into season. Granted it's still too soon to write anyone off. Some teams will bounce back.

Edited by soxfan2014

I don't think anyone compares to what the Sox can offer though. Power hitting infielder(Frazier), solid backup infielder(Saladino), good hitting outfield with some power(Melky), starting pitching (shields, Gonzalez, Holland), relief pitching (Swarzak, Jones), closer (Robertson)

They are a garage full of options for a competing team

Eh I think that's overblown. The only true tanking teams are us, maybe the Twins, the Reds, Brewers, Padres, and maybe the Braves (though I think they're trying to be somewhat competitive in the first year of their new stadium). That's not any more tanking than usual.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
Eh I think that's overblown. The only true tanking teams are us, maybe the Twins, the Reds, Brewers, Padres, and maybe the Braves (though I think they're trying to be somewhat competitive in the first year of their new stadium). That's not any more tanking than usual.

Agreed. More than half the league wasn't tanking coming into the season.

I honestly only think it's the padres. I think phils / brewers / reds / twins are fine just letting season play out. I would say we are more in the latter than the former. Prioritizing development but not necessarily draftnposition.

Considering 12 teams go to the playoffs, I highly doubt 17 teams are our "main competition".

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
I don't think anyone compares to what the Sox can offer though. Power hitting infielder(Frazier), solid backup infielder(Saladino), good hitting outfield with some power(Melky), starting pitching (shields, Gonzalez, Holland), relief pitching (Swarzak, Jones), closer (Robertson)

They are a garage full of options for a competing team

Only Robertson has value of the guys you mentioned

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
Only Robertson has value of the guys you mentioned

The Sox have enough contributing players that they'll get something for a lot of these guys. Merely a matter of identifying the proper talent and getting it in.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
Do you even follow baseball. Clearly you must not if you don't think Jones and Gonzalez at minimum don't have value.

People need to stop replying to Greg. I have him on ignore but when you reply to him I read his posts because they appear in your response.

I would love to see Holland or MiGo moved to a team like the dbacks for pick #68 and an interesting lotto ticket like Marcus Wilson.

of the teams that have picks that might consider trading them i would say there are four maybe five, if the Rockies really pull ahead.

pick 36 - Marlins - $1,888,800

pick 68 - Dbacks - $880,100

pick 70 - Rockies - $837,300

pick 74 - Orioles - $779,500

pick 75 - Astros - $767,400