Avi wins ARB case

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 01:23 PM)
Especially over the Yolmer amount of $250k. That one is odd.

White Sox keep losing these hearings. Are they just being super cheap? Avi might end up in LF or a DH if he doesn't work on his game, like arm strength.

QUOTE (JPR @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 08:13 PM)
White Sox keep losing these hearings. Are they just being super cheap? Avi might end up in LF or a DH if he doesn't work on his game, like arm strength.

Arm strength? You can point to various defensive deficiencies but I’m just fine with an arm that averages 15 assists a season in the 2 seasons (2015 & 17) when playing on average of 131 games in RF.

Looks like the White Sox are being cheap. They keep losing arbitration hearings to the players who are basically .500 in meetings this offseason. I can't blame them because they are rebuilding. It's worth a roll of the dice to save millions of dollars.

QUOTE (JPR @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 06:13 PM)

They haven't even had one of these hearings since Keith Foulke.

QUOTE (JPR @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 07:10 PM)
I guess you forgot about Yolmer Sanchez

ESPN

I'm off to read Don Quixote...

I'm sorry I was grouping Avi and Yolmer together in my head, that being said they still haven't gone to arbitration before this year since Foulke, so its not like there's any sort of trend here other than we typically don't go to arbitration at all.

It's all good! I love the White Sox and was at the World Series when Roger Clemens was on the mound and Geoff Blum/Scott Podsednik & his hot wife became south side sensations. We are rebuilding so I'm all for the good guys going to arbitration in order to save millions. I'm in Arizona where the weather is hot and the women are hotter but I do miss Maxwell street and the Cell. One of my claims to fame is Oney Guillen picking a fight with me and getting kicked out of Cork and Kerry's back when his dad was managing. He's a pretty tall dude and claimed I spit on him. Think Newman/Kramer and Keith Hernandez. Long story short he got kicked out! He's as big headed as Ozzie is...back on topic, White Sox should fight these pay raises and keep the payroll low. Let the kids play. We are rebuilding so I'm against signing veteran free agents this season.

Edited by JPR

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 09:37 PM)
According to Hahn in the athletic, he implies the players filed for numbers lower than they were giving the White Sox.

to avoid arb? makes sense then. I don't think it's a big deal at all. Yolmer laughed it off today. There's no hard feelings. That's what the agent is for.

QUOTE (JPR @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 10:54 PM)
I just want the guy to become that prized gem many MotownTiger fans saw him to be. $6/7 mil...that's nothing. He has Adam Eaton 5 tool potential. Let's see that this year.

I feel like we've entered bizarro soxtalk where Avi has more fanboys than haydurs entering spring. I was long a fan boy but he's really not shown a sustainable foundation for stardom. Solid starter? Perhaps.

But at the end of the day the dude is probably a 2 WAR RF in the time of Eloy. He's going to get a lot more expensive. For myriad reasons, even if he duplicates his 4 WAR season he's still not going to be a Sox much longer.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:42 AM)
So that means the gap was even narrowing than $250k for Yolmer? That makes it worse, not better in his case.

No, it means when they were negotiating Yolmer's agent was giving them a higher number, then they went with a lower number to the arbitrator that they thought could win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 11:42 AM)
So that means the gap was even narrowing than $250k for Yolmer? That makes it worse, not better in his case.

I read it as they gave the White Sox a higher number, which could mean for example in Sanchez’s case, maybe $500k to $1 million higher, and then filed at only $250k higher. They then didn’t negotiate as that was the lowest Sanchez would come down to and what they might have settled at had they agreed prior to filing. In that scenario, White Sox prepared to pay the $250k higher any way and no financial benefit to just give Sanchez that amount versus letting it just play out in court and perhaps save the additional $.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:59 AM)
No, it means when they were negotiating Yolmer's agent was giving them a higher number, then they went with a lower number to the arbitrator that they thought could win.

If Yolmers agent was asking for a higher number than means they were closer than $250k in negotiations. That makes it worse, as they weren't $250k apart, maybe they were $100k or $150k.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:59 AM)

Yes, but they still could have negotiated after the numbers were submitted. Usually, they pretty much split the difference. In Yolmer's case, I don't understand why they went through with that over just a little more than what you pay a call up in September. And from most of the models, Avi's number seemed really reasonable. He probably could have still won filing a little higher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 10:08 AM)
If Yolmers agent was asking for a higher number than means they were closer than $250k in negotiations. That makes it worse, as they weren't $250k apart, maybe they were $100k or $150k.

Hahn is possibly lying, but what you are implying is not what it seems like:

"“Not one iota,” Hahn said when asked if there had been a shift, before suggesting it was the approach of Sanchez and Garcia's agents that may have changed. “We negotiated these deals the exact same way we've negotiated, I don't know, 70-plus of these things going back over the last 17 years we've settled. This year, for whatever reason when we were dealing with these agents, we didn't receive offers that even looked like their filing numbers. So, you wind up in a hearing room.”

The implication from Hahn's statement is that Sanchez and Garcia's agents asked for figures significantly above what they wound up filing at, which could also be read as them lowering their ask from negotiation in order to increase their odds of winning in court."