"How the White Sox win the World Series"

LittleHurt05

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
It's cool but he still doesn't account for the fact that they can't get on base.

Yup

While the organization has clearly taken a new focus on drafting players that have shown the ability to get on base (Collins, Fisher, Call). Players at the mlb level still need quite a bit of work in this regard.

This was a good line in the story:

"And make no mistake, Chicago has the money. After running payrolls of $118 million and $114 million in 2015 and 2016, the White Sox are set to come in at around $92 million this year. That’s “Matt Wieters pillow contract” money or “eat the last year of Melvin Upton’s contract” money. And all it would require is the will to do so."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
This was a good line in the story:

"And make no mistake, Chicago has the money. After running payrolls of $118 million and $114 million in 2015 and 2016, the White Sox are set to come in at around $92 million this year. That’s “Matt Wieters pillow contract” money or “eat the last year of Melvin Upton’s contract” money. And all it would require is the will to do so."

I think he's platooning this year with someone but I like the idea.

Interesting ideas and Baumann is clearly thinking outside the box which I like alot. I don't think the Sox have enough to compete but I suppose stranger things have happened. Hard for me to see the Sox as potential contenders with Holland and Shields in the rotation.

The article got me thinking, thank you Baumann. In an effort to improve the IF defense I wouldn't mind seeing Lawrie shifted to 3B, Saladino to 2B, Frazier to 1B, Abreu the DH with Anderson at SS. 3B might be easier on Lawrie's injuries, Frazier would be an upgrade at 1B and Saladino an upgrade at 2B. Sounds good in theory.

Anyway. I enjoyed the Baumann article, well done.

QUOTE (OnlyGillis @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:58 PM)
I wasn't sure if I was reading a story about 300-1 odds or a story with 300 "ifs", but if I was driving through Vegas, I'd lay $20 just for the heck of it. Leicester City won the EPL at 5000-1 odds last year so 300-1 is no big deal.

Just send me your $20. I'll take better care of it.

To all of you who are about to embrace losing every game possible. My question to you is: How many years of losing are you looking forward to? Four minimum? Five? Six? Also, you are trusting in our front office to pick the right young guys to acquire? This is the same front office allegedly in a rebuild that still has a TON of veterans on the team in Melky, Frazier, Lawrie, Quintana, Robertson. Have fun. I have a feeling our fanbase is about to shrink to 10,000 fans max in a big city like Chicago after 2-3 years of 60-70 wins.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
To all of you who are about to embrace losing every game possible. My question to you is: How many years of losing are you looking forward to? Four minimum? Five? Six? Also, you are trusting in our front office to pick the right young guys to acquire? This is the same front office allegedly in a rebuild that still has a TON of veterans on the team in Melky, Frazier, Lawrie, Quintana, Robertson. Have fun. I have a feeling our fanbase is about to shrink to 10,000 fans max in a big city like Chicago after 2-3 years of 60-70 wins.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're you one of the posters who wanted to blow it all up and start trading players? :huh:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong but we're you one of the posters who wanted to blow it all up and start trading players? :huh:

I dunno, but what they are doing is ridiculous. They traded 2 guys. What kind of rebuild is that? I want to win over anything else now, but if not, get the rebuild going. I don't see the rebuild that many of you see. I see 5-8 years of pathetic baseball ahead.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 05:07 PM)
I dunno, but what they are doing is ridiculous. They traded 2 guys. What kind of rebuild is that? I want to win over anything else now, but if not, get the rebuild going. I don't see the rebuild that many of you see. I see 5-8 years of pathetic baseball ahead.

I unfortunately agree with you. I see years of bad White Sox baseball ahead of us. My hope is that JR sells the team soon, hopefully after the 2017 season.

This is not a short process, and if they do not feel they are receiving sufficient value for their players, they are not going to trade them. Using their forecasts and they're best guesses, they have obviously determined that trading Quintana for the packages being offered was not a net plus. How pissed would you have been if they'd gotten 2 mediocre prospects for Quintana?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 06:17 PM)
This is not a short process, and if they do not feel they are receiving sufficient value for their players, they are not going to trade them. Using their forecasts and they're best guesses, they have obviously determined that trading Quintana for the packages being offered was not a net plus. How pissed would you have been if they'd gotten 2 mediocre prospects for Quintana?

Wait...Didn't you write this article like 2 weeks ago?

Frazier, Melky and Lawrie have literally no trade market and there's limited interest in Robertson at this point. According to rumors teams haven't offered enough for Q just yet. Keeping Abreu is a good idea so I wouldn't expect him traded unless a team over pays in Juky. No team has rebuilt their team in just one off season so what do you expect? Look how long it took the cubs and Astros to rebuild their organizations.

If this is not a rebuild then why haven't the Sox signed any free agents to help contend and if they are trying to contend why trade Eaton and Sale? It's no secret the Sox need outfielders and yet they did not sign or trade for any despite the market being flooded with available outfielders, especially the trade market.

There's no grand conspiracy here, just the beginning of a rebuild. The Sox themselves are calling it a rebuild. Not sure why some have a such hard time grasping the rebuild concept but it is indeed happening. Like it or not.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 06:17 PM)

I think he would be pissed no matter what. You can bet the house on that. ;)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 08:29 PM)
Look how long it took the cubs and Astros to rebuild their organizations.

Cubs did it pretty quickly; Astros took a while.

But the dispersals did not take particularly long. Sox are still in dispersal phase, and have moved 3 players in 2 major trading periods (July and Winter 16). And 2 of the 3 were deemed "bad for clubhouse." A touch of urgency might be in order.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 02:29 AM)
Frazier, Melky and Lawrie have literally no trade market and there's limited interest in Robertson at this point. According to rumors teams haven't offered enough for Q just yet. Keeping Abreu is a good idea so I wouldn't expect him traded unless a team over pays in Juky. No team has rebuilt their team in just one off season so what do you expect? Look how long it took the cubs and Astros to rebuild their organizations.

If this is not a rebuild then why haven't the Sox signed any free agents to help contend and if they are trying to contend why trade Eaton and Sale? It's no secret the Sox need outfielders and yet they did not sign or trade for any despite the market being flooded with available outfielders, especially the trade market.

There's no grand conspiracy here, just the beginning of a rebuild. The Sox themselves are calling it a rebuild. Not sure why some have a such hard time grasping the rebuild concept but it is indeed happening. Like it or not.

They admitted they knew last year they were going to rebuild and the 23-10 start was a fluke. They had prime chances to trade guys before the all star break. They had all offseason. I personally would have preferred trying to win again with Sale leading our rotation and making some $mart baseball moves like acquiring some relievers who can get people out and getting a DH who can hit the ball over the fence and a catcher. So we have Robin for manager forever and let him try to win with real players. Now we finally get rid of him and we're in some sort of "rebuild" that isn't even 1/3 of the way underway. There's no reason to give at bats to Frazier, Melky, Lawrie or pitch Robertson in a rebuild.

Maybe our franchise will be dominant in 3 years. We shall see I guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 10:50 PM)
They admitted they knew last year they were going to rebuild and the 23-10 start was a fluke. They had prime chances to trade guys before the all star break. They had all offseason. I personally would have preferred trying to win again with Sale leading our rotation and making some $mart baseball moves like acquiring some relievers who can get people out and getting a DH who can hit the ball over the fence and a catcher. So we have Robin for manager forever and let him try to win with real players. Now we finally get rid of him and we're in some sort of "rebuild" that isn't even 1/3 of the way underway. There's no reason to give at bats to Frazier, Melky, Lawrie or pitch Robertson in a rebuild.

Maybe our franchise will be dominant in 3 years. We shall see I guess.

If the Sox are to have any chance of trading Frazier, Melky and Robertson then they have to play, period. I do agree about Lawrie and would have preferred letting him go. Thing is , Frazier, Melky and Robertson will cost the Sox roughly 40M this year. Are you really suggesting it would be a good idea to pay them to not be on the roster and playing for someone else? Better off holding onto them and try to trade them at the deadline since they are getting paid anyway.

Frazier is still a solid 3B coming off a 40HR season so he still has value and will be in more demand come June/July. Robertson could still be moved during ST and if not, like Frazier, there will be interest come June/July. Melky, meh, probably not going anywhere but the trade possibility does exist. He can still hit so who knows. As for Lawrie, I think he gets DFA'd once Moncada is ready and maybe even before that.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 10:48 PM)
Cubs did it pretty quickly; Astros took a while.

But the dispersals did not take particularly long. Sox are still in dispersal phase, and have moved 3 players in 2 major trading periods (July and Winter 16). And 2 of the 3 were deemed "bad for clubhouse." A touch of urgency might be in order.

Theo took over the cubs in 2011 and that's pretty much when their rebuild started. Theo had his work cut out for him due to the horrible contracts Hendry left in his wake, namely Soriano and Dumpster who's contracts made them difficult to trade. Once those contracts were gone, which required them to eat money to be rid of them, the pace of their rebuild did pick up but it still took a good 4-5 years.

Trading Sale and Eaton has already put the Sox ahead of the cubs/Astros rebuild pace. Imagine how much further along the Sox will be when Q is traded. There's potential to move even further along if the Sox are able to get some kind of value for Robertson, Frazier and possibly Jones at the deadline. Now add the June draft and July intl signings and the Sox organization will be in really good shape going into next winter.