Rob Manfred is the new MLB Commissioner

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
It's too bad that GWB is one of the least popular presidents of all time because he'd probably make an excellent commish.

"I've spoken to baseball commissioner Bush and he has pledged to find the steroid abusers even if he has to wiretap every phone in the country."

It's too bad that GWB is one of the least popular presidents of all time because he'd probably make an excellent commish.

Regardless of popularity I just don't see a former President holding down a job like that. Too much Secret Service red tape.

GWB is uniquely qualified to very publicly balance the interests of dozens of billionaires and millionaires. I think he's been away from the game long enough that, unlike other candidates, he shouldn't have too well-entrenched interests/friendships/personal conflicts with existing figures in baseball.

Whoever is chosen, I'd like it to not be Bud's right-hand man.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)

I think even his critics would see him as a great choice if he'd commit to the job. He's obviously by far the most qualified.

But he's already had enough stress in his life I can't see him wanting to do it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:20 AM)
I think even his critics would see him as a great choice if he'd commit to the job. He's obviously by far the most qualified.

But he's already had enough stress in his life I can't see him wanting to do it.

Because of the Presidential hate, it would be more of a distraction for baseball than it is worth...

[wait for it]

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
Because of the Presidential hate, it would be more of a distraction for baseball than it is worth...

[wait for it]

How can unpopular former presidents ever get a footing in society with prevailing attitudes such as this? smh

I found this somewhat interesting but it did not really make since. Werner and Moreno give out boat loads of money to their players. I do not see them looking for balance or a work stoppage. This seemed like a poorly written piece to me. If Reinsdorf is aligning with those two there is a ton of dough going in pockets.

http://deadspin.com/today-mlbs-owners-deci...-war-1620702208