Do you think Ilitch will give Scherzer $210 million over 7 years?

caulfield12

Do you think Mike Ilitch will pony up $200-210 million over 7 years for Scherzer?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. It's crazy to imagine him doubling down, but what do you think?

• Yes
    • No
    • Scherzer will sign for less money/years than Verlander but higher average salary
    • This is nuts, they won't be able to keep Victor Martinez, Porcello, Kinsler, etc.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 07:00 AM)
Caulfield, I'll give you a lot of credit, you have to be the first poster to start a topic with multiple sentences in the title.

I actually didn't do it intentionally...always seems like there's an extra line in there when you do a poll that's kind of superfluous.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
He'd leave something like $100 million on the table. That makes the answer, no.

100 mil is a lot of money, don't get me wrong. but Max Scherzer is 30 yr old now, this is

his final contract. His agent will want 1 final contract and he wants yrs and of course money.

now the questions 1. do you think he will accept less in yrs and money 2. I hate to say this

and be a kill joy, but do you think the sox will be to only team coming up with money this your

scenario 3. I forgot what JR said last week about contracts, but do you think he will make this

contract.

I believe the sox should get a ace pitcher like Scherzer, but a 7 yr contract ????

peace

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 06:08 AM)
Who gives a s*** what Sale thinks. I would sign Scherzer to a 4/100 so quick your head would spin. I get REALLY excited imagining Sale/Scherzer/Quintana/Rodon in the same rotation.

Just let some other team sign him at that dollar amount and shake your head when he gets hurt or turns into Verlander.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
If the Sox had an opportunity to sign Scherzer to a 4/100 contract they would it in a heart beat. It'll never happen.

Yep, it's years 5-8 or 9 or 10 that are the killers with these contracts.

The Tanakas and Abreus of the world are few and far between. In this market, maybe only Yasmani Tomas and the Japanese pitcher who has been so dominant.

Of course, the likelihood of the White Sox giving that many years to a relatively-unknown Japanese pitcher, especially after all the concerns about Tanaka have emerges this season have to be about 1-3%.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
If the Sox had an opportunity to sign Scherzer to a 4/100 contract they would it in a heart beat. It'll never happen.

Are you serious? What proof do we have of this? Even good pitchers turn to crud. Look at Peavy this year. The minute you sign a Scherzer to that, he can tweak an arm in an instant or lose velocity or whatever. I don't care about Jerry's money and wouldn't freak if they pay him, I just don't see it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
Are you serious? What proof do we have of this? Even good pitchers turn to crud. Look at Peavy this year. The minute you sign a Scherzer to that, he can tweak an arm in an instant or lose velocity or whatever. I don't care about Jerry's money and wouldn't freak if they pay him, I just don't see it.

And a lot of times, good pitchers remain good pitchers. With a pitcher as good and talented as Scherzer, almost every team would take a chance on Scherzer at 4 years and $100 mill because they can simply hope to win a division and move on to the playoffs or they can hope he remains healthy enough that they can deal him after 2 or 3 years and pick up a few prospects.

I think you will see a similar situation to the Burnett, Tanaka, and Sabathia contracts - 6-7 years with a player opt out after 3 or 4 years.

A) He already turned down a massive contract extension to stay with his current team, a team that plays in what is likely the weakest division in the league and has a "decent chance to play for a pennant" every single season.

B) He is a Scott Boras client. He will receive the max contract the free agent pitching market allows this off-season. His contact will either set the market at the beginning of the off-season or he will wait until late February to sign.

C) Scherzer wants to sign with a team where he will be the "ace" and the opening day starter. Chris Sale owns this town. He's not going to sign here so he can play second fiddle.

D) After the Danks contract blowing up in the Sox face (not like, OMG NUKE explosion... more like, mentos + diet pepsi) and Reinsdorf's persistent commentary about the dangers of free agent pitchers' contracts both would suggest that the Sox aren't signing any significant free agent pitchers any time soon.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
A) He already turned down a massive contract extension to stay with his current team, a team that plays in what is likely the weakest division in the league and has a "decent chance to play for a pennant" every single season.

B) He is a Scott Boras client. He will receive the max contract the free agent pitching market allows this off-season. His contact will either set the market at the beginning of the off-season or he will wait until late February to sign.

C) Scherzer wants to sign with a team where he will be the "ace" and the opening day starter. Chris Sale owns this town. He's not going to sign here so he can play second fiddle.

D) After the Danks contract blowing up in the Sox face (not like, OMG NUKE explosion... more like, mentos + diet pepsi) and Reinsdorf's persistent commentary about the dangers of free agent pitchers' contracts both would suggest that the Sox aren't signing any significant free agent pitchers any time soon.

Especially Tanaka...that would have been as much a disaster if more more than Abreu contract has been a pleasant surprise.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
Especially Tanaka...that would have been as much a disaster if more more than Abreu contract has been a pleasant surprise.

Yea and the day before the reports of his arm injury I had posted about how the Sox would be in first place with Tanaka splitting up Sale/Quintana in the rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:59 AM)
Seeing the progression of how Rodon is being handled, I am going to say there is a near zero chance that the White Sox spend 9 figures, or probably even 8, on a starting pitcher contract this winter.

and I am in agreement with what you are saying.